Criminal woodworking

Page 2 of 2
On 8/31/2011 2:07 PM, Swingman wrote:

Not sure I agree with you there, Swing... he was pitching "investments" that *should have* sounded too good to be true. The people he swindled were looking for a high rate of return *and simultaneously* a guarantee of low risk, which are mutually exclusive -- IOW, they were trying to get something for nothing, or something for not-very-much, by trying to obtain the gain without taking the risk. And I would not describe that behavior as completely honest.
On 8/31/2011 1:22 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

IOW, being a little larcenous is like being a little pregnant. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
Not sure I agree with you there, Swing... he was pitching "investments" that *should have* sounded too good to be true. The people he swindled were looking for a high rate of return *and simultaneously* a guarantee of low risk, which are mutually exclusive -- IOW, they were trying to get something for nothing, or something for not-very-much, by trying to obtain the gain without taking the risk. And I would not describe that behavior as completely honest.
I had a youngish couple in a late model Ram PU (HOT-LOOKING CHICK in the passenger seat doing the talking!) sing out to me in the HEB parking lot the other day wanting to know if I wanted a complete big screen, flat panel entertainment system including the blu-ray and surround sound. They had an 'extra' one from their 'job.' Lemmethinkaboutit,NO.
Dave in Houston
On 8/31/2011 7:03 PM, Dave in Texas wrote:

Sunnuvabitch! Got hit with the EXACT same proposition in the Home Depot parking lot on West Loop South about a month ago!
(I had go back in and buy a cord though! ... <just kidding>)
But not about the proposition ... two black dudes in a brand new SUV, windows rolled down, with about six boxes of TV's visible in the back.
They were circling the parking lot asking everyone who was walking to or from their vehicle. No one bit while I was watching, but they were still there when I pulled out.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 8/31/11 8:33 PM, Swingman wrote:

I just get the empty speaker cabinet offer, crappy boxes, with nothing to speak of inside, but they supposedly sound great. :-)
--
Froz...

-New- truck, eh? I guess it works for 'em some of the time.
-- Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -- Seneca
"Dave in Texas" wrote in message

A popular variation on this is the guy in a van who has an "extra" set of super hi-fi speakers--over-shipped, or the customer changed his mind, or [insert story du jour]--which he would like to unload for like half what they sell for down at the shop (he might even have an invoice showing the speakers as selling for a whole pile of money). The boxes might look real with a famous brand name on them, the speakers inside of course are crap, although they are speakers. This must work often enough to make it worthwhile, I've heard the story many times over the decades and I was approached with such an offer just a few months ago in a shopping center parking lot. People trying to benefit from something a little bit crooked--the answer to a crook's prayer.
"Swingman" wrote in message
On 8/31/2011 12:56 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

But you can be both honest and greedy and be swindled ... 'Bernie Madeoff with billions' proved that.
Queue up the Blu-ray. Tonight's feature film: THE STING.
Dave in Houston
"Dave in Texas" wrote:

-------------------------------- There was a time when I was deeply involved in the lighting and electrical distribution systems used when a new automobile dealership was built.
I always approached the dealership owner the same way.
I would preface our meeting with a comment as follows:
"Normally when I'm in a dealership it is as a customer rather than to call on you as a customer."
"That said, there is an old saying that you can't screw an honest man."
"How do you want to do business?"
All I ever got was a smile.
BTW, doing that business with car dealers was very enjoyable.
Lew

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets /
Wow, she sure got taken. I only paid $150 for mine and it is made of genuine pine wood. Anyone know how to charge it? The manual turned to sawdust.
On 8/30/2011 10:39 PM, DGDevin wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets /
The guys should have been easy to catch, their car has no rims!
On 8/30/2011 10:39 PM, DGDevin wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets /
this issue falls 100% on the buyer.
--
Steve Barker
<...snipped...>

I don't see what all the commotion is about, according to the article, she saved $120!

"DGDevin" wrote in message
It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this. Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44334747/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets / Woman buys fake, wooden iPad for $180 Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot
People are overcome with greed, the idea that they're going to get a steal-of-a-deal. Our neighbors' 50-something daughter fell for the Nigerian-stuck-in-some-country with no bank account to get a fortune out of whatever country he's stuck in; Can I use yours? Her final bill: $28k. Sheesh. Last I heard she was putting her house on the market.
Dave in Houston