Criminal woodworking

Not sure I agree with you there, Swing... he was pitching "investments" that *should have* sounded too good to be true. The people he swindled were looking for a high rate of return *and simultaneously* a guarantee of low risk, which are mutually exclusive -- IOW, they were trying to get something for nothing, or something for not-very-much, by trying to obtain the gain without taking the risk. And I would not describe that behavior as completely honest.

Reply to
Doug Miller

IOW, being a little larcenous is like being a little pregnant. :)

Reply to
Swingman

People easily that stupid were getting paid millions of dollars a year on Wall St. making bets that drove their companies into the ground. There is a lot of stupid to go around, and plenty of it wears handmade Italian suits.

Reply to
DGDevin

In article ,

she saved $120!

Reply to
Larry W

It's mind-boggling that anyone would be dumb enough to fall for this. Either that or she thought she was getting a stolen iPad cheap.

buys fake, wooden iPad for $180 Men scam woman in McDonald's parking lot

People are overcome with greed, the idea that they're going to get a steal-of-a-deal. Our neighbors' 50-something daughter fell for the Nigerian-stuck-in-some-country with no bank account to get a fortune out of whatever country he's stuck in; Can I use yours? Her final bill: $28k. Sheesh. Last I heard she was putting her house on the market.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Texas

There are plenty of cliches that cover this, but "a fool and his/her money are soon parted" fits perfectly.

My question is how does someone that farking stupid make $180?

Oh yeah ... probably a welfare check.

RIMSHOT!

Reply to
Dave in Texas

But you can be both honest and greedy and be swindled ... 'Bernie Madeoff with billions' proved that.

Queue up the Blu-ray. Tonight's feature film: THE STING.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Texas

Not sure I agree with you there, Swing... he was pitching "investments" that *should have* sounded too good to be true. The people he swindled were looking for a high rate of return *and simultaneously* a guarantee of low risk, which are mutually exclusive -- IOW, they were trying to get something for nothing, or something for not-very-much, by trying to obtain the gain without taking the risk. And I would not describe that behavior as completely honest.

I had a youngish couple in a late model Ram PU (HOT-LOOKING CHICK in the passenger seat doing the talking!) sing out to me in the HEB parking lot the other day wanting to know if I wanted a complete big screen, flat panel entertainment system including the blu-ray and surround sound. They had an 'extra' one from their 'job.' Lemmethinkaboutit,NO.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Texas

Sunnuvabitch! Got hit with the EXACT same proposition in the Home Depot parking lot on West Loop South about a month ago!

(I had go back in and buy a cord though! ... )

But not about the proposition ... two black dudes in a brand new SUV, windows rolled down, with about six boxes of TV's visible in the back.

They were circling the parking lot asking everyone who was walking to or from their vehicle. No one bit while I was watching, but they were still there when I pulled out.

Reply to
Swingman

I just get the empty speaker cabinet offer, crappy boxes, with nothing to speak of inside, but they supposedly sound great. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

-------------------------------- There was a time when I was deeply involved in the lighting and electrical distribution systems used when a new automobile dealership was built.

I always approached the dealership owner the same way.

I would preface our meeting with a comment as follows:

"Normally when I'm in a dealership it is as a customer rather than to call on you as a customer."

"That said, there is an old saying that you can't screw an honest man."

"How do you want to do business?"

All I ever got was a smile.

BTW, doing that business with car dealers was very enjoyable.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Or one hour at a neighborhood motel.

Reply to
HeyBub

-New- truck, eh? I guess it works for 'em some of the time.

-- Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A popular variation on this is the guy in a van who has an "extra" set of super hi-fi speakers--over-shipped, or the customer changed his mind, or [insert story du jour]--which he would like to unload for like half what they sell for down at the shop (he might even have an invoice showing the speakers as selling for a whole pile of money). The boxes might look real with a famous brand name on them, the speakers inside of course are crap, although they are speakers. This must work often enough to make it worthwhile, I've heard the story many times over the decades and I was approached with such an offer just a few months ago in a shopping center parking lot. People trying to benefit from something a little bit crooked--the answer to a crook's prayer.

Reply to
DGDevin