Mind boggling and a small gloat

Just returned from a great vacation and have to say I was overwhelmed by two sights along the way. While traveling home along Route 65 in Arkansas in the middle of just about nowhere (Botkinburg) I came across the most amazing antique store I have ever seen. It was 10 warehouses full of furniture, mostly all from Western Europe. The pieces ranged the entire gamut of design and periods. From a WWers perspective it was stunning. They had room after room, row after row of everything imaginable, beds, desks, tables, dressers, you name it they had it. Some of it was absolutely colossal in scale - like a sideboard that was at least 12' long by 5' high that must have weighed 1000 lbs. The marquetry, carving, turning, inlays, veneering, matched grains, burls, joints, even the mistakes on display were all equally mind boggling to take in. They also had china, lamps, clocks and two barns that were chock-a-block full of art glass windows and doors. And the prices were almost as amazing and I don't mean cheap. What was mystifying to me was why they were located in the middle of what seemed to be an otherwise plain looking, decidedly un-affluent appearing part of the state. This place is not to be missed if you ever come within 100 miles of Botkinburg.

The second sight which was equally stunning from almost anyones' view was seeing the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. We only had a few hours and could not even begin to see enough. But the craftsmanship and the skill on display in so many things from masonry to ww'ing to the fine arts was just unimaginable. And to think this was a family home!

Now for the gloat! I picked up a Type I Stanley G5 in a small antique store in Eureka Springs, Arkansas for $25. And it is in GREAT condition. All I need to do is sharpen the blade. What a trip - life is good ...

Reply to
DIYGUY

Just in case anyone is confused about where Botkinburg, Arkansas is, well it's just up the road apiece from Old Botkinburg. Know what you mean about Biltmore. As a bonus when I was there a few years ago they had Armand Hammers collection of Fabrege(sp) Easter Eggs on display on the top floor. In glass cases of course but you could walk right up to them and get your face within a couple of inches. Was tempted to grab one and run.

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

When my (Hatfield, Arkiesaw) FFA delegation attended the national convention in Kansas City, we met a wide variety of folks from around the country.

Now, when you see an FFA'er from behind, it's clear what state and chapter he's from: it's emblazoned on his blue cordoroy jacket. But face to face calls for more explanation.

Stranger (to one of my co-delegates): "So, where are you from"

Arkie: "Hatfield."

Stranger (obviously hoping to narrow it down to a continent, or possibly a state): "Oh, yeah? Where is that?"

Arkie: "About ten miles south of Mena."

We explained it to him later. ;-)

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

FFA? How old/young are you? Last time I saw FFA, we had to worry about the girls getting 4-H fever after the animals were judged. That was back in the early 60s.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

I'm 42. I graduated HS in 1981.

FFA is still going strong. We get "RFD-TV" on DirecTV, and they frequently show state conventions.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

I misunderstood. I thought that you were still going to FFA meetings and might still be in school. I never thought that they'd have FFA on TV. What a hoot.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax