Craftsman tools are just fine,

Yes. It's the "random" that's the killer.

Thanks. I wondered who did. Sadly, I instantly knew what it meant the first time I heard it.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

LOL That's what I call BAD luck... I only have 2 Craftsman tools left to get rid of.
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:07:37 GMT, "Leon"

Yabbut, it's not "luck." That's the point.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Through MY OWN experience, I have concluded that the quality of modern Craftsman tools is very inconsistent at best and I now avoid them. That's my choice. Having admitted that, I couldn't figure out why these unsolicited disparaging remarks and the "Crapsman" epithet always rub me the wrong way, until now.
It's rude. Simple as that.
Most of us on this forum are essentially strangers, even though we share a meaningful connection through this hobby/profession of ours. How many of us would walk into a stranger's shop and point to his equipment and say "That's a POS"? Most of us would never do such a thing.
There are a lot of folks on the wreck who for a variety of reasons own and use one or more Craftsman tools. One of these reasons may be that it's what they have and they don't have the free funds to replace it. I contend that gratuitous bashing of Craftsman (or any brand) amounts to pointing and laughing at people who we don't know well, and to whom we should extend a higher level of courtesy.
By describing the bashing as "gratuitous" I am distinguishing it from the honest, fact-based, and well intentioned sharing of opinions that also goes on here. Hey, some may want to call LROD a tool snob, but facts are facts. Like me and others, his opinion about Craftsman is based on personal experience.
Just my two cents... Tom
Well said~! Not everyone has a particular NEED for high $ production quality tools. Some are on limited budgets. Others may only need a particular tool very infrequently. So there's little need to bash someone else's choice when it differs from what they have. Unless they absolutely HAVE to do it as a compensatory mechanism for their lack of something....
100 years ago, when electric machinery wasn't all the rage people got by just fine....witness the woodworking that exists today that relied upon hand tools. And ANY of today's machinery tools are much improved. So the runout on your tool is .0002 less than mine ....BFD!
bill

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:51:19 -0800, Steve <Steve> wrote:

This is actually a Bosch tool. <G> The Bosch version, known as the 1617EVS is subject to market price competition, the Craftsman version isn't.
This is the router I'm referring to:
and the genuine Bosch version: <http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/bosc/1617evspk.htm?E+coastest
Notice that freebies Coastal includes make the Bosch version cheaper than the incomparable and non-price matchable Craftsman version.

They're not, unless they're rebadged versions of what you called "high end" in another post. I've never owned a Craftsman tool, that was _less money_ than the competition, that was any good. The Craftsman power tools that were serviceable were either the same price or more expensive than examples from Bosch, Porter Cable, Makita, DeWalt, etc...
It's really NOT about status, most brand name tools actually do perform better.
Barry (Who fits cleanly into LRod's "Had Craftsman and moved on" category)
I was aware that the router was essentially the same except for cosmetics as the Bosch 1617EVS before I bought it. But at the time it was $20 less than the Bosch. If they'd been offering the free accessory kit with it at the time, I'd have bought the Bosch version. :-)
Never had any complaints about the Craftsman stuff I've bought, either in terms of price or performance. Not everything I own is Craftsman, BTW. And my next major purchase will most likely be a band saw, and I'm fairly certain it WON'T be a Craftsman!
--Steve
Ba r r y wrote:

If they satisfy you, and you think they are great, ignore all the other responses. But there are other manufactureres. I have a number of Craftsman tools; some are good, others could be better. Applies to Delta and DeWalt too.
Steve
<Steve> wrote in message

Steven and Gail Peterson wrote:

Great is not the issue: Usable and reliable are. And a vast customer service & replacement parts capability doesn't hurt either. I can still order some of the parts for that 32-year-old RAS (see below), for example.

Not ignored, but taken with a grain of salt, shall we say? And when someone's wrong, I have an obligation to say so, don't I? :-) Besides, The guy who started this thread obviously did it to start something. I felt duty-bound to help him out in that endeavor.
But there are other manufactureres.
You mean like the ones who make Craftsman tools? Sears doesn't make ANY of them--the list includes Emerson Electric, Singer, Bosch.
Craftsman tools aren't the only ones I have either. One of the reasons I have as many Craftsman tools as I do is that my mother-in-law in the 70's and 80's was a Sears employee in the HW/Tool department, so I not only was able to have her buy stuff for me on occasion, but she would tip me off when an exceptional sale was about to happen. That's how I got the RAS (regular price in 1973: $160, purchase price: $108) and a few of the other things I got back then.

> be better. Applies to Delta and DeWalt too.
Me too: The Black & Decker cordless drill I bought a while back was total crap--the Ryobi that replaced it was (and still is) excellent.

Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Except for their blue/red/clear handled screw drivers.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Uncle Jessie And Don't You Forget It!!! wrote:

<I left some stuff out to keep it short>

That's the point, isn't it? If the tools you have get the job done, and you're happy with 'em, then they're good stuff. Doesn't matter what you paid for 'em, or what brand name they have or don't have on 'em, does it?
And my guitars come out just fine using my collection of Craftsman, DeWalt, Ryobi, and (Omigod, dare I admit this?) Harbor Freight tools.
Take a look: http://www.cyrguitars.com
--Steve
(Top Posted and not one damned bit snipped)
I told you fellas that you was gonna get Uncle Jessie fired up with all this foolishness, and such.
Now see what ya gone and done?
watson - who can only say, "Once a Duke, Always a Duke".
and thet ain't no bullljivin', sonnyjim.
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 16:48:15 -0600, Uncle Jessie And Don't You Forget

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker
RAS, 1972, Good. Used for everything under the sun, even firewood when I bought slabs as a poor student. Maybe I should say impecunious student.
Small metal router, 1980, Excellent Plastic router, 1990, so so. TS, 1972, Good. Fence fair minus, but usable with a little care. Ripping only. TS, 1968, Very good. Fence bad, but used for crooscut only, so not an issue. Two big angle grinders, 1975, Good. Sabre saw, 1975, OK. Bandsaw, old, used, Excellent. Planer, used, Very good, but a little short in the bed. Works fine. Standup drillpress, 1999, Very good.
What they need is some tool people who can keep the quality consistent. I've seen the junk, but there's lots of good too. Both these TS are very square and have almost immeasureable runout.
Wilson