Craftsman Hand Tools

Page 2 of 2

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:25:28 GMT, "James Stewart"

I think you'll find that the first number you listed is the second number (which is actually the catalog number of the item) plus the preceding "09" which denotes the department number (Sears' Hardware/Tools is department 9).
I'm not sure where you can find the manufacturer number on the smaller, card mounted tools (individual sockets, for example). It might be on the card, but in any event, the Sears format for whole model numbers (not just the five digit catalog number you referred to) is xxx.xxxxxx, where the first three digits are the manufacturer, the period separates the fields, and the last several digits (could be five, six, or even seven) is the catalog number.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
James Stewart wrote:

You'll usually have to look at the actual product or packaging for the prefix. I've never been able to find it in catalogs or on the web.
On 11 Dec 2005 16:14:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@fast.net wrote:

cool.. thanks! Got that one bookmarked and am looking forward to checking some of the shop tools!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Several years ago I got tired of paying premium for Sears hand tools. Knowing Master Mechanic carried the same lifetime warranty, I picked up a set of 3/8 and 1/4 drive tools at a hardware store and mentioned Sears pricing. The owner, a long time neighborhood store operator, said he had sockets marked "craftsman" show up among the Master Mechanic sockets.
RonB
a faux pas? or clever marketing?