Cost of Wood and Charges per Board Foot

Page 4 of 4

I understand where you are coming from Greg. Seems like every time I turn around the lumber industry has found a way to squeak a bit more out of us. Plywood dimensions keep getting thinner and thinner ( I recently bought some 1/2" shop grade that was barely above 3/8). And my local hardwood supplier charges a "straight Lining" charge of 10% on all domestic lumber they carry. Claiming its S3S lumber. Can't figure out why they just don't add it into the marked price. It artifically makes the price on the rack look cheaper...marketing tactic I guess. Even then I have to joint it every time and usually end up removing more than 1/8" to get it true. I just got some 5/4 mahogany (s2s) and it was less than an inch thick. And the veneer on hardwood plywood is so thin these days that I reject a sheet even if it's got a "shipping" mark on it. I know if I try and clean it up by sanding the black mark off I risk burning right through it. And have you bought dimensional construction lumber lately? I see why more and more housing is using steel studs. Wood studs are expensive and crappy. Remember the reason a 2x4 stud is 3 1/2 by 1 1/2 is because the mill cut off the bad parts. Now days it would be a tooth pick. Mark
Mark said:

Yeah, the sad thing is, I looked at every piece of 'cabinet' plywood in the place, there was a lot of it, and every sheet of 3/4" was 5 rough plys and the veneer was paper thin. Best looking stuff in there was some Baltic birch in odd sizes. I think it was 15 ply - Imported.
I'm going to have to find a better shop - preferably down a long dirt road in the middle of nowhere - owned by a guy who has been there 40 years, and who built and maintains his own equipment.
I actually went there looking for totally rough lumber. Honest to God 4/4 stuff. You end up having to surface it anyway, and their equipment alignment generally leaves much to be desired. A board edged at 87 degrees is wasted wood - not to mention that wave in the middle. And I _will_ take a dial caliper with me next time...
My first home was constructed of 2x4s that actually measured 1 5/8" x 3 5/8" - imagine that...
Greg G.
Here is my local supplier ,Suwannee lumber ,in Suwanee Ga . they are a pleasure to deal with and their prices seem fair to me .Here is the web site, see what you think in particular with regards to their selection
www.suwaneelumber.com.
mike hide said:

I knew of them but haven't actually tried them, due to the distance. But their prices look better - and I saw no surcharges. It's a pretty good ride from here, however, I'd have to stock up to pay for the trip. Now if I can get SWMBO to give up that useless dining room for wood storage...
Thanks,
Greg G.

Yes a long ride for me also, I live in Atlanta guess abot 20 miles round trip .One other thing they have a shed with a good quantity of odds of all kinds for knock down prices. So if you need the odd piece of oak etc it is a good deal .last time I was up there I found some nice pieces of Hickory [which I thought was oak ].....mjh
On 12/1/2005 5:30 PM mike hide mumbled something about the following:

Closer for you than for me. 60 mile round trip (I used to work just a couple miles from them on Satellite), but then again, the closest Lowe's to me is almost 40 miles round trip.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

I need to head up there soon and pick up a couple sheets of 1/4" birch ply for some kitchen cabinet finishing (store bought cabinets that I just need to finish up the ends).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???