plumber cost per day?

had a plumber round today to give me a quote to fit a new bathroom to the room next to our old bathroom. he recons on 4 days work @ £200 per day with me helping, supplying the suite and a fair amount of the pipe and fittings. what do you chaps recon...is it a fair cost?

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Given that a lot of places are charging £30+ an hour (most small garages that I frequent), yes probably. I don't know enough about the work to say whether 4 days is reasonable. Possibly a bit long but it depends on things like waste pipes, probably, more than water supply.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

I always work out what the anual sallry is, and compare it to mine, then decide.

So 200 quid a day, *5 is a grand a week, 40 weeks work a year is 40 grand a year, minus employers costs (van, tools, tax, insurance, accountants, training etc etc), the most his sallary is is 30 grand a year. Less than a train driver, so probably a good deal.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

£600 a week?

Heck!

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , Mary Fisher writes

Yeap your in the wrong job

Reply to
zaax

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote | had a plumber round today to give me a quote to fit a new | bathroom to the room next to our old bathroom. he recons | on 4 days work @ £200 per day with me helping, supplying | the suite and a fair amount of the pipe and fittings. | what do you chaps recon...is it a fair cost?

£200 a day is a f'kin bargain. Just check the small print and make sure he isn't also expecting your daughter's hand in marriage and your kidneys.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Mary Fisher" wrote | > ... the most his sallary is is 30 grand a year. | £600 a week? | Heck!

Still not enough to get a mortgage for a first time buyer in many parts of the country though. Perspective and all that.

Owain.

Reply to
Owain

Depends on a day and how far he has to travel. I'd have expected a bit of discount on his normal daily rate for four days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not, I'm a pensioner.

I've obviously lost touch with Real Life. But we never had that sort of equivalent income and we never went short of what we needed ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

It seems like chicken and egg situation ... :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Also, that assumes that the guy works every week of the year. There are going to be weeks where he doesn't have any jobs on and therefore isn't earning.

Also the poor, overworked sod will probably want at least 4 weeks holiday per year.

I'd say £200/day is about right.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

I thought there were 52 weeks in a year, not 40. B-)

40 weeks at 5 days/week 8/hrs a day is slightly less than what most people actually do, hours wise.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You'd cover that by an hourly rate?

I'd expect some discount for what is nearer a week.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When did they change that?!

;)

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Tax & Insurance? lol :-)

Reply to
StealthUK

Seems a lot but it's all supply & demand, it's not easy getting hold of tradesmen. I'd get a quote to do the whole job rather than pay a day rate and get him to include the fittings with you paying for the suite only. 4 days seems too long just to plumb in fittings to a bathroom (especially if you're helping). A professional should be able to do it in 2 days.

Reply to
StealthUK

Various other people have posted already.

I was going to add that you should check that he has indemnity insurance.

Don't touch any tradesman that isn't insured.

Graham

Reply to
graham

How much do chickens earn?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

About double what mine charges...actually I seem to get him free after I recommended him to a friend for a BIG kitchen/bathroom job...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depends where they are in the pecking order.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)