Plumber Work - Quote

Hello Everyone!

I have a plumber coming over in the morning to quote some work -

1) I need washer supply lines runs moved/run. The new location for the washer is about 5 feet from the old location.

2) I also need the drain extended to reach the new location.

3) Finally, I need a gas line run about 3 feet for the dryer.

I've been reading nothing but horror stories on this and many other forums about plumbers ripping people off, seems like the only one defending plumbers are other plumbers. I'm a relatively new home owner

- so I wouldn't know.

Can someone give me an idea as to the price range for the work I need done? If they plumber says $50 I'd be very surprised - if he says $2,000 I'll leave the damn washer where it is!

Any info would be great!

Thanks, Jay

Reply to
coolneo

Well, I could do the stuff for 50 dollars in parts. You could too. A 3" pipe to receive the washer discharge, deliver to existing sewer pipe or floor drain. For $20 you could rent a hammer drill and cut a line in your basement floor for a drain extension. You could cut and extend those lines, whatever they are. Or double the supply line lengths. If copper, I prefer Copper-Bond for the connections, rather than a solder job, and I did it the other way for over a quarter century. If plastic pipe, the materials cost is extremely low. Black pipe for gas line extension is cheap. Or a longer flexline. Well, you get the idea. Either learn how to do these things, or be ready for the 'ouch' when someone gives you the price.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

You can get washer hoses in the length you need. Extending the gas line a few feet, or maybe using a flex, shouldn't be outrageous.

Given all the variables, to do what you proposed could easily cost 1 to 2K$ (done right).

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I'd be surprised if it took more than 2 hrs + materials. Why not do it yourself?

Reply to
pet

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
MLD

If you think 1-2K$ is a typical price for this work, please call me next time you need something done.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Given all the variables, to do what you proposed could easily

Look again; I didn't say "typical". Given the variables in the situation, OP could have been looking at digging up the floor, re-configuring vents or any number of other "horribles" in order to meet inspection requirements.

Sure, it might be done on the cheap for $100 in some places, but not in Chi, or NY (for example). Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I've never done any plumbing, so I'm a little reluctant to do this myself. But, if the price comes in at 1-2K I will definetly try to do part of the job myself. I may just get longer hoses to the washer. The gas line I won't mess with though.

Reply to
coolneo

Jim is right. The plumber quoted $1,000.

Since I put this post up I've been reading some plumbing books - on the advice from some of you that I should try to do this myself - what I want done is not that difficult. $1,000 is ridiculous.

I'm going to buy some piping and practice and then run the supply lines myself. I'll get the gas line done separately though.

Thanks for all the info!

Reply to
coolneo