Cost of plumber?

I have just about decided what kind of flooring I need for my kitchen, lol.

Now I will have to book the fitting around the disconnection and reocnnection of my cooker (gas) because obviously the vinyl will have to go under it.

ANyone like to hazard a guess on the avg price of getting someone round to disconnect the cooker and then come back later and to put it back - needs to be someone qualified right? ANyone reocmmend someone in Southampton/Hampsire? Got a couple of numbers from the CORGI website.

I am happy to do the washing mahcine myself as I put it on - anyone know how hard it is to do the same to a dishwaher? Are they similar to washing machines at the back?

Reply to
mo

Some cookers are connected using a rubber hose and a bayonet fitting - unscrew, do floor, screw back in. You don't even have to turn the gas off IIRC.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

It has to be someone CORGI registered

Yes, hose for water in, hose for water out, hole underneath for flood on floor.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

All free standing cookers should have a disconnectable flexible hose connector. The connectors operate like light a bayonet light bulb (but much heavier, tougher and better engineered). To disconnect the cooker slide it out a little (unhook the chain if there is one). Reach down and simultaneously pull the disc part up and twist it anticlock (as seen from above). This assumes the connector outlet is facing down as it ought.

This process is intended to be an occasional end user activity, but the connectors can be very stiff.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The message from Ed Sirett contains these words:

Particularly if you're hanging head-down in the gap with the edge of the worktop cutting into your paunch.

Reply to
Guy King

Nah! They use push & twist self sealing connectors, don't even need to turn the gas off.

Almost exactly. Power, water, waste. Sometimes the water supply is a thinner pipe.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ok, but if I die in an explosion its you I am gonna come and give nightmares first!

Reply to
mo

i.e. it has to be someone CORGI registered if you pay someone to do it.

You can do it yourself legally if competent; Ed Sirett has described a procedure

Remember to reinstate the retaining chain/bracket (or fit one if there isn't one)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nightmares are extra!

Technically it should be a CORGI job, but it really is a simple push & twist fitting.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't think this job even counts as 'gas work' within the meaning of the act so the usual CORGI/competence arguments don't apply.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

How comes you usually get CROGI people to ocme and install it when you first get the cooker - or is that easy as well?

Reply to
mo

The message from "mo" contains these words:

Depends on whether you have an existing gas supply with the correct socket in the right place. And on things like ventilation. However, if you're just replacing like with like and have had no previous problems then it's probably the shop either covering their arses, feeding a local tradesman, or both.

Reply to
Guy King

Even if they do, anyone who's so incompetent they can't do that really shouldn't have gas in the house.

Or electricity.

Or water.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Because the cooker will be delivered without a gas hose attached to the cooker, and possibly without a stabilising bracket or chain. The hose will need attaching to the cooker and checking for gas soundness. You may also need a suitable gas bayonet fixing installed to connect to, and you will need to check the ventilation available meets the requirements of the appliance. You will also need a stabilising bracket or chain fitted - sometimes these come with the cooker, sometimes they need to be supplied separately.

Reply to
John Rumm

My local Comet wanted £80 +VAT to install a cooker. Money for old rope.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hmm. Does this mean only CORGI registered people should connect and disconnect camping stoves (and off-mains gas appliances when changing the bottle)? Yomp off into the middle of nowhere, then call out the CORGI registered person to allow you to brew up your tea? Call out fee could be a bit large.

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Yup, and if you are a plumber. you need a corgi to change the canister on your blowtorch! ;-) (I joke, but it could happen in prescottland)

Reply to
John Rumm

No. NEW cookers are not supplied with a hose. This means that to install one you have to undertake some gas work. As such the work then falls under the gas regs. Amongst other things you will be commissioning a gas appliance which means that you will have to ensure that its ventilation, flue etc.etc. are correct.

Disconnecting and reconnecting an existing installed cooker for cleaning or other maintenance (eg. a new kitchen floor covering) is not "Gas Work".

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Quite so, some housing for older people don't have gas cookers for this reason.

Reply to
Ed Sirett