Kitchen Cabinet costs per linear foot

Some people might think this is probably a stupid question, but i'm going to ask anyways.

i was at Home depot the other night looking at kitchen cabinets. i am looking at knocking out part of a wall, and making a peninsula between my kitchen and dining room. I couldnt find a worker at home depot (big surprise) to ask this to.

Whn they say for example $120 a linear foot for cabinets, are they talking upper and lower or is it 120 per linear foot for lower and 120 per linear foot for upper?

i'm thinking it is upper and lower, as the cabinets i was looking at it said would be about 2000 for a 10X10 kitchen, but i could be wrong.

any enlightenment?

Reply to
Handmade

Typically it includes upper and lower for the cabinets only and in the arrangement that they have displayed.

Reply to
Leon

Those figures refer to upper AND lower. Keep in mind that the linear foot price they advertise is for the most basic installation possible. When you start adding options like drawer stacjs, rollout trays, etc. the price can start jumping up real quickly.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

Both upper and lower, _usually_ ... but read the fine print these day!

... and get ready to add another 50% to whatever the price they gave you, for even the crappiest of cabinets ... I do mean crappy.

Any one who thinks the displays in the BORG's look "good", needs to go stand next to/fondle a set of even the least expensive custom made kitchen cabinets for eyeball/judgment adjustment.

Do yourself a favor and check with a local cabinet shop, or two, or three ... they will often be around the same price/linear foot and will usually be much better made, and it is absolutely guaranteed they will take better advantage of the kitchen space.

Another source for less expensive, but not "cheap/tawdry" would the "trim carpenter" crews used by local builders ... they are generally less expensive by half than the BORGS and will 'build to the space', although the quality may not be quite up to that of a good cabinet shop.

Reply to
Swingman

okay so things like the drawer slides and hinges are extra correct?

Reply to
Handmade

No, but pulls/handles almost always are. If you get to the point of sitting down with a kitchen designer, you will find out how many "options" there are that most people don't think about. Example: lots of people want a lazy susan in a corner, but that's an add-on. A blind corner cabinet is standard. Same goes for a diagonal corner on the wall cabinets. Cutlery trays, rollout waste baskets...the list of upgrades goes on and on. Many of them will seem like something you really want, so the price will end up being a lot more than the $120 per foot.

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958

With the brand name cabinets they will be included in the price, but can usually be "upgraded" at additional cost.

On the better grade, like KitchenMaid that the BORG's carry, the drawer slides and hinges are generally pretty good and are most definitely included in the cost.

Reply to
Swingman

thanks for the advice on looking for a custom cabinet shop. I am only looking for about 4 ft of lower cabinets though, and these are only going to be temp.. for 4 years or so till i redo the entire kitchen. I will then be calling an old family friend who does custom cabinets, and getting the whole thing done.

Reply to
Handmade

thanks for the advice on looking for a custom cabinet shop. I am only looking for about 4 ft of lower cabinets though, and these are only going to be temp.. for 4 years or so till i redo the entire kitchen. I will then be calling an old family friend who does custom cabinets, and getting the whole thing done.

Reply to
Handmade

Yeah, sure. Famous last words! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

maybe for a single guy. SWMBO will be making sure its only temp.. unfortunately. :)

Reply to
Handmade

Why spend the money twice? Why not just save your money and redo the kitchen in a couple of years and get what you really want?

Reply to
efgh

because the cabinets that i will be putting in will be moved to the laundry room when the kitchen is redone. it could wait, but the cabinets in the kitchen now were "custom" cabinets made by the previous owner, and arent very well designed. there isn't much cupboard space, and we are out of room.

there is method to my madness.

Reply to
Handmade

That's better than my mantra: There's madness in my methods.

Reply to
Robatoy