Cost of Wood and Charges per Board Foot

I think I may not have been clear--this is regular landline from the local telco, not VOIP.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I started building a bandsaw mill because of the lumber prices, I can't afford to make anything if I buy it at the store.

Plus, I have access to at least 200 acres of woods (as long as I don't try to log it all) and I have some tree service friends that call me when they get something I might want.

Reply to
Modat22

Here is my local supplier ,Suwannee lumber ,in Suwanee Ga . they are a pleasure to deal with and their prices seem fair to me .Here is the web site, see what you think in particular with regards to their selection

mike hide

I knew of them but haven't actually tried them, due to the distance. But their prices look better - and I saw no surcharges. It's a pretty good ride from here, however, I'd have to stock up to pay for the trip. Now if I can get SWMBO to give up that useless dining room for wood storage...

Thanks,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Mine, too. Verizon is the local long distance carrier. Supposedly working on DSL. When we returned some 18 months ago, they told my wife it would be six months. Now, they don't respond that clearly.

Reply to
Charles Self

Ah, "bundle" of wireline services with DSL rather than using the bandwidth on the DSL.

Lots of folks here have gone away from landline altogether. Cellular or internet calling through cable is cheaper.

Reply to
George

No one ever claimed they wanted it to grow back. They strip it for the hardwoods, and either leave it fallow, or build McMansions on it. When they build here now, EVERY tree is removed. After all, don't want those pesky song birds waking you up in the morning. And those evil trees take up space that could be used for pavement or another stinking, worthless house.

Like this:

areas left with trees are where the locals wouldn't sell - yet.

are over 20 houses in this one picture alone. This mess is tucked in a slim alley between two older neighborhoods - that's why there are still trees visible.

When developers originally moved into Atlanta, they built nice homes, left the majority of the trees, and the houses actually had yards for the kids.

But Ryland Homes and other such maggot's interpretation of homebuilding is to strip everything - and I mean EVERYTHING. The top soil, the trees, the rocks. All that is left is red clay. Everything else is trucked off and sold.

When you buy a bag of potting soil at Home Depot, you don't get a well mixed formula of perlite, vermiculite, peat moss and composted soil. You get a bag of Georgia Forest Topsoil - even says so on the back of the bags in very small print. It doesn't even matter what brand you buy: Miracle Grow (crap), private brands (crap), Jungle (better), Bayer (same crap) or Schultz (used to be a good mix, but now it's produced locally and is crap as well.)

just got started on this one...

They attempt to alter the rolling terrain to fit their crappy slab homes, and then everyone surrounding this mess is left to deal with the rainwater erosion problems they have created. It's horrible... And these damned northern industrial city transplants just eat up...

They have turned a forested jewel into a cesspool of foul pollution. Unmanaged growth and development, crooked local government officials hungry for money and kickbacks, and locals who sell-off to get the hell away from what this is turning into. It's not a pretty site... Even been to Compton, CA? Welcome home!

Sorry about the rant, but I have to live here... It's like someone raping your child - over and over - and you're powerless to stop them.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Yes a long ride for me also, I live in Atlanta guess abot 20 miles round trip .One other thing they have a shed with a good quantity of odds of all kinds for knock down prices. So if you need the odd piece of oak etc it is a good deal .last time I was up there I found some nice pieces of Hickory [which I thought was oak ].....mjh

Reply to
mike hide

I know - don't remind me. We fly out there several times a year. Little did I realize the first time I went to LA, back in the early eighties, that it would follow me home just a few years later...

The in-laws live in Santa Barbara and sisters live in LA and in the Sierras, NE of San Francisco. One writes hiking books about the waterfalls and trails of California. One raises hybrid Orchids. One raises kids. I've been up and down the entire state - albeit mostly along the coast. Nice weather, but way too many people in an artificially sustained environment. To many scam artists and price fixing monopolies as well. Looked at your water or power bill lately? Rolling blackouts, my ass - more like engineered scare tactics vying for price increases. I'm just fearful that we're heading in the same direction...

JMHO,

Greg G.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Actually I'm in western PA where I recently found a rather small father/son run sawmill, just north of Pittsburgh.

On my last trip up I picked up about 35-40 bf for about $80. It was a mixed lot of 4/4 & 7/4 cherry, 4/4 WOak, 4/4 sycamore and a 3x3x72 piece of soft maple

All rough

Add $10 for gas and still less than $3/ bf

FWIW, even the local Rocklers' sells S3S ROak for $3.50 - $4.00

Ron

Reply to
Ron

On 12/1/2005 9:50 AM Leon mumbled something about the following:

For SunRocket, yes, it is unlimited calling

From their website.

SunRocket 's All-Inclusive Annual Edition gives you a year's worth of=20 Internet home phone service for only $199. Cancel anytime and receive a=20 refund for unused months.

  • Unlimited calling =E2=80=93 U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico * Free international minutes (.00 credit every month) * Free extra phone number - Local or AnyWhere Number=E2=84=A0 * Enhanced Emergency 911 Service * Over 12 enhanced calling features, including Caller ID, 3-way=20 Calling, Enhanced Voicemail, and much more=E2=80=A6 * Two free Directory Assistance calls each month * No charge to activate * No hidden fees - Taxes included in the Bottom-Line Price=E2=84=A0 * No cancellation fees * 31 day money back guarantee

--=20 Odinn RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshiped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ...

'03 FLHTI ...........
'97 VN1500D .........
Biker Net ...
Riders Assoc .
snipped-for-privacy@ngynagnovxre.arg to reply

Reply to
Odinn

On 12/1/2005 10:05 AM Duke of Burl mumbled something about the following:

Yes they do. You have to fill out a form giving your location for it to work (since you can have a phone number from anywhere in the US, not just your local calling area).

Reply to
Odinn

On 12/1/2005 10:05 AM Duke of Burl mumbled something about the following:

If you're thinking of switching, I'll send you a reference.

Reply to
Odinn

Greg, You need to move out of metro. I live 40 miles from 285, my closest neighbor is 150 ft away through the woods and I can't see his house, and if I was to drive to his house, it's damn near a 1/4 mile drive (the neighbor on the other side would be almost a mile drive door to door).

Reply to
Odinn

On 12/1/2005 1:42 PM mike hide mumbled something about the following:

I need to head up there soon and pick up a couple sheets of 1/4" birch ply for some kitchen cabinet finishing (store bought cabinets that I just need to finish up the ends).

Reply to
Odinn

On 12/1/2005 5:30 PM mike hide mumbled something about the following:

Closer for you than for me. 60 mile round trip (I used to work just a couple miles from them on Satellite), but then again, the closest Lowe's to me is almost 40 miles round trip.

Reply to
Odinn

What town are you nearest to?

I don't disagree - but I also need to have to have certain vital services - like High Speed Internet - for income. We do programming and system support work from home. I doubt I'll be making enough at woodworking to cover our expenses.

I actually drove to Cartersville for 2 years, subcontracting a job there, 50 miles out of Atlanta, and no sooner than I got there, the developers began clearing out the farmlands...

Of course, the proximity of the Interstate doesn't help in that regard... We even looked around northern Alabama, outside of Huntsville as a possible solution.

Same with Florida. Moved there in '90, and moved to 4 different cities before I gave up and moved back here.

It like a plague, and I'm the carrier. :-\ I'm getting to the point that when I see Caterpillar yellow, I drop into a pseudo-epileptic fit. I've lived in cities, and don't like it.

No single species should have such exclusive and overwhelming dominance over any area. It just ain't healthy, I tell ya...

And before I forget, thanks for the link to the Bobtail Critter Sawmill. This is about what I'm looking for...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

3.5 miles from a little town called Bethlehem (pop 320).

I have high speed internet via cable. I'm in the computer industry as well (Sr. Unix Architect used to be a Software Engineer - don't you just love the names they use to glorify programmer and sysadmin positions) and require it (I had satellite for a while, which barely managed).

Okay, don't move out here, it's already getting too crowded. We had a traffic jam on my road yesterday (I was behind 2 cars doing 43 in a 45 mph zone) and I don't need it worse.

Reply to
Odinn

Charlie you are younger then me.... I still remember my first check from the US Army... $18.46 cents...NET ...and 16 bucks of that was traveling pay from Ft Bragg to Walter Reed... That check I really should have not cashed ..I should have had it framed and hung it on my wall...

Prices are relative,,, My home cost less then $25,000 when I purchased it in 1965 ...When my dad died a few years ago I discovered he paid either $1160 or $1610 for my entire 1st year in college when I was going thru his things... even laughed at his comment that I better cut my beer consumption because he was going broke "supporting" me...

My first job in High School was at a burger joint... we sold them fro

15 cents each..or 7 for a dollar... My 1951 V8 Hot Rod drank gas that cost me 19 cents a gallon... and ran on "May Pop" brand tires ..like one just may pop... at any time...I think I averaged 2-3 flat tires a week...

Now back to the original posters comments... I have no idea if I can afford to continue buying wood... Before I retired I stock piled a lifetime supply of Walnut, Cherry and Poplar...(what A laugh...I must have died a few years ago because it only took about 5 years before I had to float a loan to buy a small supply to make my Daughters dinning room set...(Table & Hutch,...no darn chairs...) ..

Fricken scary ...what EVERYTHING costs now...

My "Real Estate" Taxes per year today .. are greater then what I paid in 1965 for my mortgage (P&I and taxes)... My first "new" car was a

1965 Corvette 396 BB purchased in 1966 for $4,700 ..today just the knock off wheels for that car are worth that much...

Honestly as much as I bitch about what I have to pay for lumber I really feel sorry for my grandchildren and what they have to pay for a little, but nice, townhouse with a 200 sq foot back yard.....even the dog can not get any exercise in that small yard...

Ok.. Off my soap box...

The one check I will not have to write will be to the Funeral Home... what a good though that is... Maybe I should run out and buy some pine for a "box" today.... who knows what the wife will have to pay per Bf of that crap in a few years...

Bob G...

Reply to
Bob G.