Coffin Needs

Page 1 of 3

This may be a bit morbid to some but believe me I am not trying to offend anyone. Being a wodworker I have decided to build my own coffin and have it ready when the time comes. Then my kids will not be under any pressure to purchase something fancy. What I want to build is a plain old pine box as seen in the old western movies. You know the type that are narrow at the feet, widen at the hips, then narrow again at the head end. My question concerns the thickness of the boards. Would 4/4 pine be OK or should I go with 5/4? If anyone has any other suggestions I would be happy to learn them. TIA
Afternoon, Mike...you might want to check out the link below for suggestions.
http://www.funerals.org/caskets.htm#own
You might want to further check out information from your friendly funeral director about any restrictions. You also might want to consider making your wishes known in your will. Otherwise, your children might not want you to buried in a homemade box.
Good Luck...Bob
--
______________
lvMMMCDLXXIX+1
Bob Rasmussen wrote:

Funeral directors will lie their butts off to sell you a $6,000 box. Check with your local & state public health departments for the minimum requirements. The cemetery where you plan to be planted may have some say, too.
Thu, Feb 2, 2006, 11:37am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (mike) doth sayeth: <snip> I have decided to build my own coffin <snip> Would 4/4 pine be OKor should I go with 5/4? If anyone has any other suggestions I would be happy to learn them.
Well, my personal preference is cremation - for various reasons. Orf course, by that time, it won't be up to me, it'll be up to my sons. But, hopefully they will do it, then they won't be spending money that could be put to better use, by them.
Well, if you're gonna plan that far ahead, I'd say pick people, in advance, that you detest, to be your pallbearers. That'll probably make them happy carrying you to your grave. But, when you make the casket, I'd say use the thickest, heaviest, wood you can get, and then pour concrete, or something heavy, in the bottom of the casket. Then the joke will be on them.
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
J T wrote:

Nah, just hide a tape recorder in a secret compartment that is activated by a motion sensitive switch so when the pall bearers lift the coffin it starts making fart noises...
--

FF

Thu, Feb 2, 2006, 3:17pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net adviseth: Nah, just hide a tape recorder in a secret compartment that is activated by a motion sensitive switch so when the pall bearers lift the coffin it starts making fart noises...
Make the coffin heavy enough and probably the pallbearers would take care of making the noises. Still, you're idea does raise possiblities - like a voice screaming out, "Take it easy you bastards, or I'll come back to haunt you!".
JOAT Shhh... that's the sound of nobody caring what you think.
On 2-Feb-2006, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

    That may be so, but after checking into it, it wasn't all that much     cheaper. That is unless your kids take you on a camping trip and build the     bondfire... with loving care of course. A hole in the ground with a marker     is around $4000 , a hole in a wall was $3000, and a hole in a iddy-biddy     box (marble of course) was $2800. Piss of your kids and wife before you go     and they'll do the job for free. (just kidding of course)
Lee
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:12:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@satx.rr.com wrote:

Actually the creamation is between 500 / 800$. You get the ashes in a cardboard box. Then you go get the urn or not from there. Maybe you scatter the ashes or maybe you keep them. Funeral services at the place of your choice is an optional extra.
Personally, I want mine scattered. I already have the places all picked out. There are a bunch of idiot relatives who have irritated me for so long, and I'm determined to get the last word in for the next 25 years or longer.
Enjoy Pete
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:12:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@satx.rr.com wrote:

I don't know about your state, but in Texas, there are no laws saying where you have to be buried. A backhoe will run you about $200 for 4 hours (delivered, plus another $150 deposit). An awning maker can stitch you up a canvas bag for anothr $100. If you use a canvas bag, you don't need a vault, because the earth over your grave won't have far to sink as you compost.
Regards, Ed

Now what make you think you wont "compost" in a canvass bag?
snipped-for-privacy@mi.sig wrote:

He didn't say you wouldn't, he said that you need much dirt to displace you when you DO compost.

Our Boy Scout troop has a coffin very much as described for use at halloween. It is standard 3/4" or 4/4 pine and is strong enough. It has a cracked board, but that is from years of abuse. A single use of a pine coffin shouldn't be a problem.
Brian Elfert

Yes, if you plan to re-use it often, go with 5/4 or more.
wrote in message

Somehow, I just KNEW you'd be the one to come up with that, Ed! :)
Beat ME to it.

Our local paper used to print little fillers in the ad pages with public service type announcements. Every week, in the middle of the obituaries they had a spot to promote recycling. I sent them a letter thanking them for the idea to use granny's ashes on the compost pile. They never ran that spot there again.
Someone has to be the smart ass. It's my job.
mike wrote:

I stole a link from JT a while back.
http://www.arkwoodcaskets.com /
A simple build and not really bad looking either.
Tom in KY, My Dad wants to be cremated and placed in an old antique cookie jar that belonged to my Grandmother. Your question doesn't sound so morbid to me.
On 2/2/2006 8:45 PM Squarei4dtoolguy mumbled something about the following:

Interesting that it has a PATENTED dovetail design. I'm trying to figure out what is patentable about their dovetails.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

I found it very unique to use sliding dovetails to enable easy shipment and/or storage of the sides of the box, yet very strong when assembled without using metal fasteners.
On 2/4/2006 5:27 PM Phisherman mumbled something about the following:

Sliding dovetails have been around for eons, nothing patentable there. Unique, yes, patentable, no.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

Most woodworkers who build their own coffin make one too large and heavy. 4/4 should be more than enough, unless you are unusually large.