Checking carcase for racking.

I have an old armoire whose doors have never fit quite right. This thing is pretty good size (4' x 7') so it's a little unwieldy. I know that the corners aren't exactly square, left to right, but I'm wondering if it is also racked a bit, front to back. Is there some way I can check to see that all four corners are in the same plane? It's setting on a carpet, so checking the corners for plumb wouldn't be very accurate. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve

joseph.golaine

Joe, you need to meet your old friends over at:

alt.binaries.sounds.radio.oldtime alt.binaries.sound.radio.oldtime (only 1 s in the third word) alt.binaires.sounds.cbsrmt (CBS Radio Mystery Theater)

Many Gildy's exist, over 700 episodes of Fibber McGee and Molly, Benny, Allen, The Shadow, et al show up daily. Tens of thousands of various shows are available.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

Checking to see if all four corners are on the same plane is easy. All you'll need is some string and tape. Tape a piece of string from one bottom corner to the opposite top corner. Then do the same for the other side (make a big "X" with the string across the front of the cabinet) the strings should just touch where they cross in the middle. If they do not, something is wracked. --dave

"Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve" wrote in message news:456f0659$ snipped-for-privacy@news.mcleodusa.net...

Dave Jackson

I knew there had to be a simple way. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks. Happy Sawdusting