Charlie Self, the major woodworking magazine contributor shows off his literary style once again.

[Taken from rec.photo.digital]

" Gene Palmiter blubbers:

> >>As a vet myself it takes only a question or two to spot a poser...I would >>have to suspect that a "Marine" who hasn't heard of the Chosen Res. hasn't >>heard of the Shores of Tripoli either. >>

Fuck you, doggie. You can't even spell it.

Charlie Self "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich." Napoleon Bonaparte"

Doesn't Charlie have great command of the English language? I'm sure it comes in handy when explaining all about "Hand Drills" and other woodworking tools.

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Dave, you goofed up here. It's *my* week to watch Charlie. *Your* turn isn't til *next* week.

Aintcha got nuthin' better to do? Yer SWMBO outta town or something?

Doug Miller

I shall demonstrate my own. Who gives a flying f*ck if Charlie choose to insult someone on rec.photo.digital? Or for that matter, rec.woodworking or alt.I.am.secretly.a.lesibian?

Sheesh man, I think you get a little too much abuse sometimes, but any abuse you get for this one you have coming. If they guy has a problem, he can take it up.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Ok, I actually, I have more to add: I don't trust any man who never swears, and I sure as hell have little respect for one who can't swear creatively. Charlie could have done better, I am sure.

For people to understand my point of view, I am from Newfoundland. OK, a few Canadians will understand anyway.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Paul Kierstead responds:

I should have told him that since he talked like a dogface, he should stick to humping (no need for graphics here) a fire hydrant. As should our boy Dave, who is a true piece of slime.

Charlie Self "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." Disraeli as quoted by Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Sometimes Dave, I prefer you in the troll suit.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy Dingley responds:

He can't go tell somebody's mommy when he's in that suit.

Charlie Self "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." Disraeli as quoted by Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

actually, I've been pretty darn busy! :)

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I swear but I don't make a habit of doing it on-line. Have a little class, man. Just because I argue with folks doesn't mean I have to use the f-word to get my point across. If I wrote for a major publication, I sure as heck wouldn't go on-line and flame people the way Charlie does. He TRIED to embarrass me on other newsgroups and I didn't appreciate it. Hence, I'll rip on him any chance I get. I take sole responsibility for embarrassing myself; I don't need his assistance. Don't you ever wonder to yourself WHY I give him such a bad time??

dave

Paul Kierstead wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

paranoid Charlie again.

dave

Charlie Self wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Which iteration of BAD is this? The idioteration, or the other one? Or is there another one? Anybody else think that this is getting complex?

TIA

Reply to
Peter Shull

:)

gotcha

Rob (on the udder coast)

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Nope....I don't.

Yur pushin' a few friendly buttons Dave....may want to stroll out to the porch for a beer and set in the shade for a while...

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Been a rainy couple of days here in the Carolinas, and daughter LOML shows up with a beat-to-hell particle-board POS dresser she picked up for a few dollars at a yard sale for the apartment she's moving into. She gives me a couple of those Daddy-killer eyelash bats and asks me if I can help her "fix it up", so off we go to the shop and spend the better part of the entire day cutting out all the cancer and rebuilding the thing from the ground up.

It looks, of course, like "Frankendresser", with it's old particle board carcase and new SYP baseboards. It's got two rows of plugs now, up and down the sides where we had to drill and screw the frames that hold the drawers, 'cause gluing "endgrain" on particleboard wasn't any better an idea when this piece of junk was made than it would be today, so we drilled it, and screwed it, and plugged it.

The whole thing was about to fall apart under its own weight, but it's sturdy now. And it works.

And I got to spend six hours with my daughter, who I'd do anything for.

During the quiet times today, when we were focused on the task and weren't talking much, I got to thinking and remembering what it was like for me at her age, and how much I've learned about what's important since then, and how much more I have to yet to learn, and mostly about how very much is just beyond my control.

It was in that kind of mood that I found myself sitting down to catch up on the newsgroup. Been busy the past couple of weeks. Missed you guys. Then I found this thread, and it made me reflect on your "Amish" post. When I first read that post, I thought about how powerful a punitive measure that shunning thing is. I think now, though, that I was wrong. I'm thinking now that it was and is an admission of powerlessness.

And all this got me to thinking 'bout something I'd written to a friend some time ago, and forgotten about until you posted. Brought it home again, and for that I'm pretty grateful.

----------------------------

I believe that a profound change occurred somewhere in me when I realized that from that point forward, my time was simply going to be too precious to waste on anyone who weighed on my soul.

This is not to say that I have surrounded myself with "yes-men," but rather that those who I have allowed to remain in my life have shown me that when they question what I'm doing or why I'm doing it, it is with the purpose of promoting my well-being, rather than a means to the end of bringing me down to their level of spiritual desolation.

It also means that I must admit, at last, that I am _not_ strong. I cannot carry their weight. I must move, and I have not the time nor strength to become bogged down. All the time I have spent trying to enlighten, encourage and change those who wish to remain in the darkness has prevented me from remembering that the focus and the force of the Desiderata's opening line "Go placidly..." is:

Go.

People who are worth my time and my small strength have no need to slow me down in order to advance themselves. If that means that those whom I walk with are fewer in number, it also means spending less time waiting by the side of the road for the self-absorbed to catch up.

I haven't the time nor the strength, I must go.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Baglio

More than a few do. Might be the hockey influence. ;-)

Speaking of hockey, it is not a contact sport, it is a collision sport. And a traditional wooden stick still results in a harder shot than those new fangled composite things.

Reply to
Mo' Sawdust

Agreed! I actually UN-plonked him for a couple weeks, just to see what all the shootin' was about. Couldn't take any more, returned him to the bit bucket.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Not complex at all. They're all the same person.

Reply to
Rich

Nahmie notes:

Bait bucket?

I had him plonked here and in rec.digital.photo, but he sneaked by in the photo group with one of his brilliant denunciations on a subject in which he had neither interest nor knowledge. So he pissed me off, something I don't usually allow to happen. Normally, I'm off his back because he seems like a very sad case, but this time....

Charlie Self "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics." Disraeli as quoted by Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Sun, May 2, 2004, 10:33pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bay=A0Area=A0Dave) for some stange reasons burbles:

Drop by for a few minutes, and see this petty crap. Amazing, absolutely amazing. But, when you consider the source!

Well, Homer, can't see why you would feel the need to ever post something like this, especially from another newsgroup here, like that. If you've got a hardon for Charlie, why not take it to e-mail? I've got a recipe for dried frog pills, if you're out. Or, perhaps they could spare some from the Bursar's supply.

As far as the other guy, well, I'm a veteran too, a bit over 20 years in my case, Army. But, I don't see any reason to doubt Charlie's word he was a marine. You might want to pass this along to him (not Charlie), it's Chosin Reservoir. The "res.", he put out there, is a thing, according to my dictionary. So when he writes Chosen Res., he's actually writing about a choice of a thing. Who says spelling doesn't matter?

Sometimes it takes boiling it down to one succinct word, to get a point across. I don't know Charlie face to face, but we've had a few friendly e-mail conversations. I have no idea if we'd hit it off in person, but as of now, I have a favorable opinion of him, as I do with about everyone else here. Plus, I'm impressed with Charlie's writing skills. However, you do go out of your way to overstep the bounds, don't you? So, to you, I say, succinct word you.

JOAT If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.

- Phil Pastoret

Reply to
J T

Rich, full of lies and stoopid as ever...

dave

Rich wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave