best magazine?

Do any of you subscribe to a woodworking magazine? Which one?

Reply to
jm

Fine Woodworking Fine Homebuilding American Woodworker Handyman Wood Shop Notes Wood Smith Woodworkers Journal Several others. They are all good one month and then not so good the next. I would refer you to Mr. Charlie Self. He is a well respected writer who reads this newsgroup. He probably has better insight than most. I like the advertisements and all the different articles. For working, get Shop Notes/Wood SMith and American Woodworker. There will be many different opinions on this subject I dare say.

Reply to
Ramsey

Lawrence Ramsey notes:

I would add Popular Woodworking, which has some of the best plans I've seen recently (with styles that appeal to me, which means they may or may not appeal to y'all...I tend to like classical stuff), Woodworks, Workbench.

I haven't read Fine Homebuilding in a while, but it used to have some great stuff on molding and case making, cabinet installation and so forth that is not usually found in more specialized woodworking magazines.

I don't care much for the Reader's Digest interpretation of American Woodworker (at least as compared to the original, but I'd be just as happy if Fine WOodworking were still in monochrome) or Family Handyman, but they should be excellent for beginners.

Woodshop News is very specialized--basically, for the small wood shop owner--but offers a great deal of material on woods, new machinery, shop set up, and usually has a few useful jigs per issue.

Charlie Self

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

I subscribe to "Fine Woodworking" and "Wood".

I pick up "Shop Notes" or "Woodsmith" if something inside interests me, which is about twice a year.

Although it's not a woodworking magazine in the true sense, I also like "Fine Homebuilding". FH provides me with many furniture ideas from pieces I've seen in photos. I've also recently started applying many of my woodworking skills to the home. Many of my recent projects have been built-ins, like bookcases, ironing board fold-outs, cabinetry, and wainscotting.

FWIW, I have yet to be disappointed with a Taunton Publications book as well. Taunton is the publisher of FWW and FH.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Reply to
Grandpa

I subscribe to Fine Woodworking and Woodwork.

A bunch of others have been menti>Do any of you subscribe to a woodworking magazine? Which one?

john carlson

I used to get Canadian Home Woodworker, Popular Woodworking and many of those listed in other posts. I now subscribe to Wood but find it to is getting repetitive so I have opted to join the Woodworkers book club. Mags are getting to pricey for the one or 2 articles that I might find interesting. I file old issues and use for reference but it takes a bit of time to find that plan that "I know was in there" :-) I now buy books that are about what I am interested in 100% and the bargain bin books cover the moderate interest subjects.

Reply to
John van Veen

Fine woodworking would be on my list if I could afford the $$ for it. Worth the price. Taunton press is like that. I get American Woodworker which is descent. Their best projects are those for the shop. Woodworkers journal is OK too. Originally it was fabulous but about 3 years ago I had to downgrade it. I had the sub for a year but ran out of money before I could renew. Popular woodworking is impressive. Not because of the projects (which are about a 4 out of 5) but the articles are well written. Since I don't have the money for the projects, the Knowledge is a plus. I also get woodsmith. Good, not extensive but tries to keep its articles all related to the projects at hand. Shop notes although it can be separate acts as the Technical Supplement to Woodsmith. Wood has some nice projects. I wasn't impressed with the articles themselves. There are others out there of course. Take a look around.

Reply to
Young Carpenter

I've subscribed to quite a few over the years. I'm currently getting Fine Woodworking, Popular Woodworking and Woodworking.

Every magazine has a different mix.

Fine Woodworking - As the title suggests, dedicated to finding the best way to do things. Balance between power tools and non-powered tools. Balance of traditional projects and new creative works.

Wood - Mostly power tool focus. Projects are within the reach of the average woodworker. Occasional extra inclosure.

Popular Woodworking - Mostly power tool focus, with occasional traditional articles by traditional woodworkers. Projects are not too difficult.

Woodworking - Every issue has something on creative, gallery and museum works. Some excellent articles on traditional woodworking. Articles on environmental or sustainable forest issues. Most issues profile a noteworthy woodworker.

Woodsmith - No advertising. All projects. Most require a table saw.

ShopNotes - No Advertising. Jigs and work methods.

Can anyone add to the list?

woodstrapper

Reply to
woodstrapper

Fine Woodworking is my favorite, but I can't afford it nor health insurance right now, as I'm (hopelessly) still looking for employment.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Ramsey

As do I. _Woodwork_ doesn't seem to be as well known (or distributed) as the others. It's a very "artsy" magazine, and their "gallery" section often features things like abstract sculpture done in wood. They also, for example, recently published an article which got mentioned here about interpreting styles through history.

Anyway, if you think the whole "art vs. craft" debate is a pretentious waste of time, you probably won't like _Woodwork_. If you're interested in the art side of woodworking, it's worth a glance and little off the beaten track (i.e., _Home Depot_ doesn't carry it).

-BAT

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas

while not strictly a woodworking magazine, I find Workbench helps me with ideas around the house. Again, it's not a true woodworking magazine, but it also hasn't been mentioned and for those of us who spend more time using our tools to improve our house rather than make cool furniture and fixtures, it's certainly worth checking out an issue or two.

Wayne

Reply to
waynefb

Which is why I can't afford the $32 price tag or to renew my woodworker's journal subscription, or pay my bills etc.

Reply to
Young Carpenter

When you find the magazine(s) you like, you can often buy back issues...in bulk...on eBay. The magazines may be old...but most of the principles haven't changed over the years.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Reply to
Trent©
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Some more 'free' advice...

Get a library card.

Most libraries carry these kinds of magazines...with usually unlimited checkout.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Reply to
Trent©

I did that with Wood Magazine not too long ago. They offered to send me a couple free issues and since I hadn't seen it in a while, I figured why not.

I didn't particularly like what I saw, especially at the prices they wanted to charge, so I cancelled and forgot about it. Then they started sending me bill after bill after bill, each more threatening than the last until finally I called their customer service line, sat on hold for a long time and ripped the person on the other end a new one. Cancel means cancel. Cancel it. Stop bothering me. Obviously, if I don't PAY for the thing, and you don't SEND the thing, I don't want it!

Needless to say, I'll never purchase another issue of Wood again as long as I live.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Yup, I sent the first bill back with CANCEL which fulfilled my obligation. Heck, I was supposed to receive two free issues and think I only got one.

Reply to
Brian Henderson