Ping: Charlie Self

Hey Charlie, I was wunderin how the Craftsman tablesaw evaluation turned out. I have been on vacation and offline for a few weeks and may have missed anything. I'm curious based on your inital comments a while back.

Rich

Reply to
RKON

RKON asks:

I'm happy with it. It may be the best non-industrial saw Sears has ever carried. I'd drop "may" and add "probably" if I weren't so tired I can barely think.

Can't add more details until the piece runs.

Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

IIRC it was for Populay Woodworking??? What issue will it be in?I look forward to reading it.

I would also be curious to know what is the process of how an evaluation is performed? How much time did it take you? How does the process work with the editors. If you would be so kind to share that information. No reason other than pure curiousity on how it all happens.

Thanks Rich

Reply to
RKON

RKON notes:

It was for Woodworker's Journal. I think for their on-line NL. Popular Woodworking doesn't buy freelance material any longer, or so I was told, except for the humor page.

Evaluations are simple. Assemble the machine. Measure the machine. Judge the quality of construction--latest buzz word is "build" quality. Use the machine. Measure it again. Re-judge overall quality. Use a bit more and judge again. Think about it, see if you can recall anything you missed.

How does what process work with what editors? That depends on the editor, the writer, and the tool being evaluated.

This particular table saw is in the nature of a sea change for Craftsman products. The cast iron trunnions for one of their "smaller" saws was a major change, but this saw actually elevates itself from the contractor's saw category in various ways, starting with weight, and going on from there to motor mounting, accessories and utility.