Chain saw gas

Page 2 of 3

Waste of money. Two stroke engines don't have enough compression to require premium gas.
If you use the chainsaw frequently, regular gas is fine. If you use it intermittantly then try to find ethanol- free gas, since ethanol sitting in the carb will eventually eat away the insides and you'll need a carb rebuild.
If you can, run it dry when you're done using it, whichever kind of gas you use.
John
On 12/27/2015 5:49 PM, John McCoy wrote:

In Texas there is more differences in Premium and regular than just higher obtain. Typically 3 trades of fuel. Regular, often with fewer detergents and more alcohol. Premium, more detergents and often no alcohol. Mid grade fuel comes from the regular and Premium tanks.
So If yo want to avoid alcohol in the fuel, which attracts moisture, buy premium.

I started using Stabil in my gas can and my fuel does well for months on end, from one season to the next. The label claims that it will keep the gas good for 2 years, and now I believe it. Still a good idea to run the carb/tank dry at the end of a season. I only do this however at the end of the season. Some of my equipment started running badly until I started treating the gas can about 3 years ago. Now all run fine...even the Honda that I bought in the spring of 1987.

Same many places here. The "regular" gas is 87 minimum octane - may be slightly higher with up to 10% hooch. The premium is a "tier 3" gasoline of 91 octane and in the case of Shell (and some others) no hooch. Mid-Grade is a mixer pump, blending the hooch-poluted regular with the high end premium - which yields up to 5% hooch and 89 octane.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

There are several joints around Ontario selling ethanol-free 87 "regular" gas.
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON
On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 03:32:55 +0000, Spalted Walt

The majority being marinas, the rest independents and specialty or farm fuel distributors.

Typically differences in detergents are between brands, not between fuel grades. The vendors would like you to think there's extra "good stuff" in premium (especially now that it costs $0.50 or more above regular), but other than octane boosters it's generally not so.
I am also dubious that premium would be alcohol-free. I suspect if it was, it would be prominently advertised, and I haven't seen that anywhere.
John
On 12/28/2015 9:08 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Different strokes for different folk, John.
Saw Shell advertising ethanol free premium up in Wisconsin. Not so here in Illinois (at least not in the NE corner of the state - down south it's available in some areas).
I think, but not sure, that Shell's ethanol free was tied in to their "V-Power" blend or somesuch

That is the way it is in Texas/Houston
On 12/28/2015 9:08 AM, John McCoy wrote:

Actually Shell advertizes Nitrogen, V-power Nitro+ Premium, for better cleaning only in the Premium.
But typically most all better brand fuels have similar additives in all grades.

Well if it was advertized alcohol free they would certainly catch a bunch of flack from the tree huggers.
Down here their pumps only claim "May" have up to 10% alcohol.

I'm inclined to think that "nitrogen enriched" stuff is all just marketting blather.
If you want my opinion, the best gasoline additive is Chevron's Techron. But I don't think there's much difference between any of the top brands.

Same here - I think that's a legal requirement, and is the same wording everywhere in the US.
Next time I'm in Texas I'll have to look at the pumps and see if the premium is marked different (last time I got gas in TX was at the Buck-ees north of Houston on US290, and I was so overwhelmed at the size of it - must have been 100 pumps - I didn't pay attention to that sort of detail).
John
On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 19:58:30 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

Techron is good, but the "nitrogen enriched" is a LITTLE more than advertizing blather. There is a big difference between run-of-the -mill gasoline and third tier.

On 12/29/2015 3:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

This is true but to be clear Tier 1 is not strictly the premium fuel, rather the brand. Exxon has always had detergents and additives but only relatively recently has qualified as a Tier 1 provider.
The Top Tier standards must apply to all grades of gasoline that a company sells, whether it is economy (low-octane) or premium (high-octane).[2] However, premium gasolines may contain even higher levels of detergent additives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline
On 12/29/2015 1:58 PM, John McCoy wrote:

That very well may be however it is only in the Premium grade Shell gasoline. Even their web site indicates this.

Techron is not bad at all. I was selling Techron before it was added to gasoline. I learned about Techron through General Motors, they were selling it as a fuel additive to combat the injector contamination issues that they were having in the 80's. And it worked well. It came in a 16 or 32 oz bottle IIRC. It was only later on that Chevron began marketing it with their gasoline in Texas.

Absolutely a requirement when they don't know which fuel you are going to choose. It is a blanket statement that covers all the bases. Mid grade is blended at the station pump.

On Mon, 28 Dec 2015 15:08:05 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

Might be true in the USA, but the total additive package in tier 3 premium gas is significantly different than in the same brand's regular gasoline

Shell Canada has gone on record saying there WILL BE no ethanol in their premium gasoline.
If you look at PurGas.org? the vast majority of stations selling ethanol free gasoline sell only premium ethanol free gasoline. The only major resellers of ethanol free regular are marinas.
Mogas for aircraft use is also ethsanol free premium. No Mogas STC allows ethanol fuel.
On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 23:49:54 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

Tell my Remington saw that. Theoretical is something north of 12: effective is something around 10.
It'l rip your arm off if it doesn't start.
My old Partner, on the other hand is around 9:1 theoretical and 5.something effective. The little remington has more OOMPF than the big partner. The partner would likely run on kerosene if you could get it lit - the remington will overheat on regular gas, but runs great on high-test.
Makes a difference what oil you are running as well - and how much.

On 12/27/2015 8:41 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A shot of ether and the sucker starts like a champ.

I've had the same chain saw since around 1978. The first tree I cut up it blew up. My neighbor, a farmer the first 20 years of life, owned a two man auto repair shop the next 50 years, and a lawnmower repair shop the next 25 years, told me my mistake was using the 50-1 chainsaw oil mixture recommend by Sears. He said use regular 20w non-detergent in something like 9-1 or 20-1, can't recall, it's written on my gas can in the shed. He said it might smoke a bit, and be hard to start but it will never freeze up. Arguing with a 95 year old dude that still worked on small engines 9-9 6 days a week seemed silly, so I gave it a shot.
It was always hard to start, so didn't notice a difference, but learned to use ether to get er running (even though I was often told ether would hurt the engine)
I rebuilt the engine, took his advice, and now, almost 40 years later, the saw still runs great. I haven't used it much lately, getting old, but last I used it it still ran, and smoked like a champ...
Also, as far as premium gas in a chainsaw, my guess is once you dump oil in the gas, it doesn't matter much.
--
Jack

Doesn't need ether - it USUALLY starts on the first or second pull. But if it decides to balk instead, it snaps back with fury!!!!. I won't start it on a ladder or in a tree. Too dangerous if it "gets angry"

Doesn';t seem to.

I tend to use 40:1 instead of 50:1 so it does smoke - but it is close to 50 years old and has never been apart. And other than the extreme high compression kickback, it is NOT hard to start. I run ethanol free premium, and even after sitting for 2 years with a full (sealed) tank, it started on the second pull.

If 93 octane drops to 87, think where 87 goes!!!! The more oil, the lower the octane - one advantage of the lighter mixes.
On 12/28/2015 1:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I remember when "Leaded Regular" was 91 octane.

And i remember having to settle for something like 71 octane because it was all I could get - at $1.65 a liter - back in '74 in Livingstone Zambia. The old '49 beetle didn't care, but the 204 Peugeot wasn't happy untill I cranked the timing back. You could drive the stage 3 Mini Moke into the shop with the key turned off after you got it warm........
On 12/28/2015 4:03 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Now that made me chuckle. Good way to start the new year, with a laugh.
--
Jack