Chain saw gas

I added premium unleaded to my gas can (plus oil) this time around for my chainsaw. My chainsaw seemed to run a little hotter, which was helpful, but I wonder if this is not the best thing for the machine. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reply to
Michael

The small engine shop that services my equipment tells me that the best thing to use in those items is the pre-mixed fuel sold in the quart cans. The reason? It's premium fuel, with stabilizers and NO ALCOHOL. The last is the biggie. Over time the ethanol added to the fuel will wreak havoc with your 2-cycle engine. So, you using premium is a good thing and you can make it better if your state allows for mixtures without ethanol. I know that Wisconsin does, but Illinois doesn't.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Washington allows it. I've found that my ancient 500cc motorcycle gets

50mpg with ethanol, 60 without. And the ethanol does bad things to tank liners in old bikes.

BTW, eliminating 10% ethanol increases my bikes mileage by 20%. Tell me how I'm lowering pollution with ethanol :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

There are currently 81 stations in Illinois selling ethanol-free gasoline according to the most excellent pure-gas.org website:

Spalted Walt

Thanks for reminding me of that. After being told of the pre-mix and using it. I went looking for premium here without success. Found that very site and, unfortunately, those are all downstate pumps subject to different regulations which are imposed on us "lucky" devils residing in NE Illinois. I can, however, head north about 15 miles and get all the premium, ETOH free gas I want.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

high octane fuel does not cause an engine to run hotter, contrary to common belief. However, running gasahol MAY cause the engine to run cooler due to reduced energy content. The chances of damage due to running "hooch" FAR outway any possibility of damage from running high-test fuel. If the octane is too low (and adding oil lowers the octane) an engine will detonate, and detonation transfers more heat to the piston, cyl, and head by disrupting the "boundary layers" causing the engine to overheat quickly.

In aircraft, the first sign of incipient detonation is a simultanious increase in head temperature and drop in EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature).

When that happens you have seconds to pull back on the throttle to avoid engine damage and possible engine failure. Doesn't matter if it's a 2 stroke ultralight or a 4 stroke Lycosaurus

Reply to
clare

I use alcohol-free gas for my small machines (yard tractor on down). It's readily available, though expensive, here in Georgia. It doesn't surprise me that it's illegal in IL. Nothing IL does surprises me.

Reply to
krw

Wow! >700 Sq. Mi. per gas station. They shouldn't make it so easy to get!

Reply to
krw
< snips >

This < Canada Natural Resources > website

shows some fuel economy data -

- example - 2013 Dodge 1500 8 cyl. auto pickup -

on regular gas 14.6 litres per 100 km on E85 ethanol 21.8 litres per 100 km

"regular gas" might be some ethanol content ? in your area. ? dunno.

A difference of ~ 7 litres per 100 kM ! for using the highly subsidized corn alcohol .. ?

Geeeze ... am I missing something ?

John T.

hubops

Michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Waste of money. Two stroke engines don't have enough compression to require premium gas.

If you use the chainsaw frequently, regular gas is fine. If you use it intermittantly then try to find ethanol- free gas, since ethanol sitting in the carb will eventually eat away the insides and you'll need a carb rebuild.

If you can, run it dry when you're done using it, whichever kind of gas you use.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote in news:hbp08bh7j6h18fpb5gv4npmgae7ckg1hfq@

4ax.com:

Regular gas is usually 10% or less ethanol. Exactly how much depends on whatever other additives they're using, and the octane rating they want. The reason for putting ethanol in regular gas is that it's a very effective octane booster, and unlike other octane boosters such as MBTE it's more-or-less non toxic.

That sounds about right for E85. Corn alcohol makes a very poor fuel. With current technology, the only economically viable (and enviromentally sound) way to make alcohol fuel is to start with sugar.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Should not matter at all, Premium over regular is simply more of an additive to increase octane to help prevent engine knock.

Vehicles have knock sensors that listen for knock and will retard the ignition timing to help prevent engine knock with cheaper grades of fuel. Premium fuel typically helps to prevent knock and the ignition timing will electronically advance for better power and gas mileage.

In the old days when you set the ignition timing manually the engines would truly run hotter if you advanced the timing too much.

Relatively modern engines these days monitor all of the engine functions and make adjustments accordingly.

If you chain saw has an electronic ignition and a knock sensor the timing could be advancing with premium fuel and running hotter. Or you could simply be getting a more complete burn with the better fuel and naturally running a bit hotter.

Reply to
Leon

The reason ethanol is added to fuel in North America is NOT for octane improvement. It is added as an "oxygenator" It is supposed to reduce the carbon monaxide and particulate emissions of the vehicle.

Brazil runs almost exclusively on cane ethanol.

Reply to
clare

In Texas there is more differences in Premium and regular than just higher obtain. Typically 3 trades of fuel. Regular, often with fewer detergents and more alcohol. Premium, more detergents and often no alcohol. Mid grade fuel comes from the regular and Premium tanks.

So If yo want to avoid alcohol in the fuel, which attracts moisture, buy premium.

I started using Stabil in my gas can and my fuel does well for months on end, from one season to the next. The label claims that it will keep the gas good for 2 years, and now I believe it. Still a good idea to run the carb/tank dry at the end of a season. I only do this however at the end of the season. Some of my equipment started running badly until I started treating the gas can about 3 years ago. Now all run fine...even the Honda that I bought in the spring of 1987.

Reply to
Leon

Tell my Remington saw that. Theoretical is something north of 12: effective is something around 10.

It'l rip your arm off if it doesn't start.

My old Partner, on the other hand is around 9:1 theoretical and

5.something effective. The little remington has more OOMPF than the big partner. The partner would likely run on kerosene if you could get it lit - the remington will overheat on regular gas, but runs great on high-test.

Makes a difference what oil you are running as well - and how much.

Reply to
clare

Same many places here. The "regular" gas is 87 minimum octane - may be slightly higher with up to 10% hooch. The premium is a "tier 3" gasoline of 91 octane and in the case of Shell (and some others) no hooch. Mid-Grade is a mixer pump, blending the hooch-poluted regular with the high end premium - which yields up to 5% hooch and 89 octane.

Reply to
clare

Have you actually seen or heard of a chain saw with electronic spark control and knock sensing??????? Some of the high-tech 2 stroke direct injection snowmobile engines are getting pretty fancy in the control department -

Reply to
clare

There are several joints around Ontario selling ethanol-free 87 "regular" gas.

Spalted Walt

No no no no No no.... Not that familiar with the modern chain saws. If none have what I described above, it would not be a stretch for it to be imagine it happening some day.

I bet! Technology would be a better sell on HiPerformance engines, and could trickle down.

Reply to
Leon

The majority being marinas, the rest independents and specialty or farm fuel distributors.

Reply to
clare