An alternative to the norm

For some time now I have been looking for a 5/64" twist drill bit. FWIW it fits in a self centering bit, in a set of 3, one of my 4 sets.

OK, some people have a thang about certain things. Mine is certainly self centering bit sets and Hex/Allen wrenches.

Any way I broke a bit in the smallest self centering bit and believe it or not 5/64" is difficult to find by itself. I tried, Woodcraft, Sears, Ace Hardware, and even Enco. Enco had it but I was not going to buy 12, the least they would sell.

Anyway today I went into Tractor supply. GREAT PLACE! We walked in and passed a customer and her Great Dane pup. She, Katy, was 18 months old so really did not look like a pup to the untrained eye. ;!) We naturally visited with Katy's mom and gave Katy an ample share of petting and scratching and rubbing and all the things that Great Danes expect and love.

Moving on I found the drill bit section. WOW, IIRC 3 brands of drill bits and they had 5/16" drill bits sold singley and in pairs. The stock depth in each size was not great but I had my choice of HSS, Cobalt and Tiraneium. I chose a Cobalt and a 2 pack of HSS.

If you need feed for most any critter that you have heard of, they had it and in great supply. Tools, clothing, stuff to decorate your barn, toys to put your eye out, you name it they had it all.

I was very impressed as was my wife as they had sparkely girly things too.!

Reply to
Leon

Been using TS for years. Bulk bolts, nuts, washers. Sometimes a really good deal on stuff. Sometimes they have stuff that is hard to find. Found replacment parts for my garage heater (bullet style).

My dog loves their dog snacks. They have a bunch of senior stuff that helps with joints.

Reply to
woodchucker

I thought the phrase was "Woodworking beyond the Norm." At least that is what Roy used to say... ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

In those situations, eBay is your friend.

Spalted Walt

They have a bunch of senior stuff that

They have a head shop too!!!! ;~0

Reply to
Leon

Good'n!

Reply to
Leon

I paid $5 for all three bits.

Reply to
Leon

Fastenal has several different varieties of 5/64 bit in stock at my local store for $2 or so each. Home Depot has them in stock at the local store for $2.47. Grainger has them available for pickup tomorrow (it's after closing time today) for $1.39. Online, McMaster has them quantity 1 for $1.14 and up.

Reply to
J. Clarke

9 bucks for the 10 drills and $19 shipping - Yuip - Ebay's my friend. And every one of those Ameican bucks costs me a buck forty one.

Or 2.91 for a solid carbide one, and $15.61 shipping. Or a 2 pack of Milwaukee cobalts for $3.76 plus $13.81 shipping

Again all in $1.41 dollars.

Vs $7.25 Canadian for Titanium bit at Home Despot or $4.79 for 2 titanium bits at my loacl Home Hardware store.(the first "go to" for most general tools and hardware for me)

Reply to
clare

US $3.76 - free shipping (in the US) for a 2-pack of cobalt Milwaukee

Spalted Walt

for the Canadians:

Spalted Walt

Still $0.20 more than Home Hardware, and a few day's wait for the mail- compared to a 1km ride over to my local Home Hardware where they are on the shelf

Reply to
clare

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Going off on a tangent, but it's funny how much regional variation there is between Home Depot stores. You'd think most stuff they sell would be the same everywhere - obviously most of the nation doesn't need things like hurricane panels, and I've never seen a snow shovel for sale down here - and, allowing for the older stores being smaller, if it's in stock in one store it would be in all. But that often isn't the case.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

For some people but certainly not all people. And the 2km ride back and forth certainly cost you more than 20 cents. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It would cost me about 120 calories. For small stuff like that I'd ride my bike over to Home Depot.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

And they've got several brands of lumber, so to find out what they have in the local store you have to wade through all the stuff that's only sold on the other coast.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On my bicycle??? And if I had it mailed to me the post office is 5km, and for many the "community mailbox" is 2 or more - not everyone gets home mail delivery.

Reply to
clare

I've not only found a big difference in the products sold, from area to area, but also in the quality of the service, cleanliness, and overall "experience". Where I was in Ohio, HD wasn't worth bothering with. Lowe's was far better. I guess HD tries to keep up there image a bit more, here in Atlanta. ;-)

Reply to
krw

If you want to be anal, more than 20 cents of food for the energy. :-)

Reply to
Leon

Nope. I've got enough "prepaid" energy hanging on my waste that it's all no-charge!!

Reply to
clare