Chain saw gas

OK - when I get the saw out I pull it through once or twice with the choke on, and the ignition off so it won't tear my arm off - then turn on the ignition and give it a couple good sharp pulls - Usually running on the second pull with the ignition on.. Usually barks at me on the first "powered on" pull. - knock the choke in one notch and pull again. It either starts or tears the rope out of my hand. I don;t know if the saw is stock or not - I've only owned it for about 25 years.

Reply to
clare

I took down a complete cherry tree except for the bottom 4 feet of trunk with a 10 inch electric on a pole. Line powered - not battery - in less ths 3 hours. The tree was higher than my 2 story house. I used the electric pole saw because there was no way I was taking the remington up into the tree. I limbed it from a 12 foot stepladder with the pole saw completely extended.

After I had it down to the 4 or 5 foot stump I pulled out the remington, the noticed there was a tree service truck just finishing up down the street so I asked them how much to finish the stump and chew up all the branches so I didn't need to haul it to the dump. Less than an hour later there was nothing left but some leaves and twigs. (and the stump chunks I had other plans for)

Reply to
clare

I was shocked when I went to buy some Tygon fuel line.. The local small engine shop wanted over 4 bucks for a foot. It's about 2 bucks at Aircraft Spruce

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:jas28blrb27snvfj6g8q5ujft8c9ugnf9c@

4ax.com:

Antiknock Index and Octane Rating are the same thing. You're trying to sound intelligent there, but you're shooting yourself in the foot...

It usually is added to premium in the US. I don't know why Canada is different, but I suspect it's due to tax policy.

In the US, ethanol is used because:

a) it's an effective octane booster b) it's cheap compared to the alternatives c) the energy act of 2007 provides Federal incentives d) it does not have the legal liabilities of MBTE

Incidently, ethanol isn't "added to gas at 10%". The amount used varies, from 5% to 10%, depending on the octane rating desired.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

e) intense pressure exerted by the Corn Ethanol Lobby

Spalted Walt

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'm inclined to think that "nitrogen enriched" stuff is all just marketting blather.

If you want my opinion, the best gasoline additive is Chevron's Techron. But I don't think there's much difference between any of the top brands.

Same here - I think that's a legal requirement, and is the same wording everywhere in the US.

Next time I'm in Texas I'll have to look at the pumps and see if the premium is marked different (last time I got gas in TX was at the Buck-ees north of Houston on US290, and I was so overwhelmed at the size of it - must have been 100 pumps - I didn't pay attention to that sort of detail).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

t octane only goes to 100 because you can NOT have aoiso-octane/heptane mixture more than 100% iso-octane.Check your facts. Anything over 100 is AKI

It's because if you have to sell a certain amount of ethanol, put it where you will sell it fastest.

Mabee in the US of A, but not here in Canada. Ethanol is used as an oxygenator up here. The extra octane is just a "bonus" if you can call anything that reduces the energy output of a fuel a "bonus"

Up here it is "may contain up to 10% ethanol by volume"

Reply to
clare

Techron is good, but the "nitrogen enriched" is a LITTLE more than advertizing blather. There is a big difference between run-of-the

-mill gasoline and third tier.

Reply to
clare

No, but some of the new 40 volt lithium ion saws will do anything my old Partner will do except gas me out and burn my finger if I get my hand too close to the muffler. The remington has a bit more "cajones" than the big partner.

Reply to
clare

If you want to know why there is alcohol in fuel, follow the money.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly! Typically alcohol reduces gas mileage. My Tundra which was designed to run or regular gets better gas mileage with premium from the same gasoline station. Now that the price difference out weighs the gas mileage benefits I have cut back from using premium and over all my gas mileage has suffered. Now there are other reasons that I get better gas mileage from premium but most likely the lack of alcohol is just one of them.

Reply to
Leon

That very well may be however it is only in the Premium grade Shell gasoline. Even their web site indicates this.

Techron is not bad at all. I was selling Techron before it was added to gasoline. I learned about Techron through General Motors, they were selling it as a fuel additive to combat the injector contamination issues that they were having in the 80's. And it worked well. It came in a 16 or 32 oz bottle IIRC. It was only later on that Chevron began marketing it with their gasoline in Texas.

Absolutely a requirement when they don't know which fuel you are going to choose. It is a blanket statement that covers all the bases. Mid grade is blended at the station pump.

Reply to
Leon

This is true but to be clear Tier 1 is not strictly the premium fuel, rather the brand. Exxon has always had detergents and additives but only relatively recently has qualified as a Tier 1 provider.

The Top Tier standards must apply to all grades of gasoline that a company sells, whether it is economy (low-octane) or premium (high-octane).[2] However, premium gasolines may contain even higher levels of detergent additives.

Leon

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:sft58b93crkcqiru2mqeh5snjegtsqv74s@

4ax.com:

You are confused here.

There are several methods of calculating octane rating, the two most common being the "research method" and the "motor method". They work the same way, you run the fuel being tested in a special motor which has a variable compression ratio, and compare the point where preignition starts to the point where it starts with a particular isomer of heptane (defined as zero octane rating) and a particular isomer of octane (defined as 100 octane rating). It's entirely possible for a fuel to accomdate a higher compression ratio than the octane standard, in which case it's octane rating is proportionally greater than 100 (conceptually it's also possible for a fuel to not reach the compression ratio of the heptane standard, in which case it would have an octane rating less than zero).

Now, in the UK and Europe, they use the research method exclusively. Their octane ratings are always RON (and they have no such thing as an antiknock index). In North America they take the average of the research method and the motor method, and call the result the "pump octane rating". You'll see this on gas pumps: (R + M)/2. (there are exceptions in the US - racing fuel is often specified by RON, and av-gas is specified by MON).

For simplicity, rather than say "the average of the research method and the motor method", (R + M)/2 has also come to be known as the antiknock index, or AKI. It's just another term for octane rating.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I understand how octane is determined - and since there is no such thing as more than 100% iso-octane to put in the test mix, 100 octane is as high, technically, as an "octane rating" can go. From 100 on up it is "technically" an Anti Knock Index. AKI can also be used below

100.RM/2 is used for automotive motor fuel in North America - but not for Aviation Gas.

I remember this being taght by the petroleum engineers from Texaco, Imperial and Shell when I worked for garages that sold those 3 brands of fuel "way back in the day" between 1968 and 1983. They said although often refered to as the "octane rating" anything over 100 is technically the AntiKnock Index, which in Noth America is generally referred to as "road octane" or "R+M/2" or "pump octane" while elsewhere in the world it is generally ROM - straight "research octane"

Octane sensitivity has to do with the difference between research and motor octanes. Motor Octane is also sometimes (mistakenly) referred to as "rich" octane and is the measure of anti-knock qualities under sustained high load, (accelleration at low RPM) while research octane is sometimes referred to as "lean" octane - the measure of antiknock qualities under typical mild driving.(high rpm low load) They call it sensitivity because it indicates hpw sensitive the fuel is to varying conditions of tempwrature and load.. Sensitivity of most automotive gasoline in North America is generally about 10 points.

In europe recently the sensitivity has been higher, (20 points and more), meaning some fuels (under 105RON)do not meet the required 85? minimum MON for European regulations.

Lean and Rich octane ratings are used to rate aviation fuel.. They are similar to the RON and MON , in that rich mixtures are used under high power settings, and lean under lower power settings. The "sensitivity" of Avgas is generally closer to 30 points (100-130 for instance for

100LL regular avgas) Lean rating in AvGas is always lower than rich rating, just as MON is always lower than RON in Mogas. It is a combination of actual differences in the knock resistance of the fuel and differences in the measurement protocol that contribute to tne higher "sensitivity" of AvGas.

The AvGas "lean octane"number is not necessarilly the same as the RON number would be for the same fuel, but it is close.

Reply to
clare

Now that made me chuckle. Good way to start the new year, with a laugh.

Reply to
Jack

how was it helpful to run hotter

was it because of low ambient temps you could try aviation fuel at 100 octane

Reply to
Electric Comet

Aside from the fact that that wouldn't be legal or smart in many jurisdictions (that's 100LL, and I'll allow you to research what the "LL" stands for, and the restrictions on the use of 100LL nationwide, or the efforts to phase it out).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

You can use 100ll in your saw - but you will need to tear it down to remove the lead deposits every hundred hours or so. There is more lead in 100LL than there ever was in the highest octane automotive fuel sold retail (like Sunoco 260) by a factor of more than 2.

Reply to
clare