gas-oil mix for chain saw

Over the years I acquired an assortment of 2 stroke power tools that needed oil-gas mixtures. One of the first was a Poulan Chain saw, maybe 25 years ago, that I still have. After that have been a variety of weed-eaters and blowers. The Poulan called for 16:1 gas:oil mix. The other stuff varied from around 32:1 to 40:1 or thereabouts. I also used to have an outboard motorboat that used 50:1 ratio.

One time when I went to get a carb rebuild kit for one of the blowers I saw they had some 3.2 oz cans of oil to mix with the gas. I had been mixing more like 4 oz per gallon. I asked the guy if he had any

4 oz cans so it would be the right ratio. He said, "You don't need that anymore, just use these 3.2, it's synthetic and works for everything. So that's what I started using. I had had the Poulan chain saw so long I had forgotten it was supposed to be 16:1 so it, along with everything else was getting this 3.2 oz oil mixed with a gallon of gas. I've never had any problems with any of these things, other then they eventually wear out after a decade (except for the Poulan chain saw which is still working great).

Have I just been lucky in using this 40:1 mix in stuff that has been supposed to have anywhere from a 16:1 to 30:1 mix in it or is what they guy at the small equipment repair place told me true, that the new 3.2 oz oil cans are good for EVERYTHING now?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Actually, the oils are different. The "50:1" oils are _generally_ synthetics.

Similar to your experience, I've found that a wide variety of

2-strokes, including a 25-year-old Poulan, work just fine with 50:1. And ... no smoke-screen on startup, with minimal muffler deposits. Not to mention much improved air-quality for operator, and one container of mix.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Ashton,

I believe that you got good advice from on using the synthetic 2 cycle oil. Just remember to break in new equipment on traditional oil and mix ratios before using your synthetic mix.

My friends and I switched over to high ratio synthetic mixes for our huge assortments of 2 cycle engines and none of us have had any problems.

Good luck, Gideon

[...]

Gideon

Reply to
Ashton Crusher