Can't hear my cell ring in the shop.

Page 1 of 2
I cannot feel the virator or hear my phone when I am working. Nor do I want that damn thing near my body for long periods. Has anyone rigged up a stobe or a very loud ringer for their cell phone? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Tor
You probably should not be using a vibrator while woodworking and operating power tools anyway.

aren't they one and the same? <g>
dave
Leon wrote:

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:50:11 GMT, "Leon"

Nor should your wife.

On 12 Oct 2003 15:16:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@olywa.net (torlissa) wrote:

I just took out my phone in the shop and now use a answering machine. It is a distraction.

Good point, but I always have the phone in the shop. Turn the ringer off if you'd like, but in an emergency, it would be handy to be able to hit the 9 1 1 keys. If for no other reason, do it so your wife won't bitch that you are bleeding all over the carpet when you run in the house to use the phone. Ed
(torlissa) wrote:

The very *last* thing you want in the shop is to be startled, whether by a vibrating phone/pager or a loud ringer.
You can find strobes for wired phones at a lot of places that sell telephone equipment -- that's how deaf people know when the phone rings, so they can press the button on their TDD. I have no idea if something like that is available for cell phones.
IMHO, voice mail or an answering machine makes the most sense.
Baby monitor?? WL

RE: Subject.
Don't need a damn nurse maid, thus don't have a cell phone.
If you call and get the answering machine, leave a message and I'll return it.
Don't want to leave a message, it's your loss.
--
Lew

Friend of mine is never in a hurry to answer a ringing telephone. He says "If it's important, they'll call back. If it's not important, it's not important."
Hum a nurse maid... ;~) I always looked at them as Electronic Leashes and something that screws up traffic.

Lew Hodgett wrote:

I have one, but I never turn the damn thing on until I need to call somebody.

I don't even have an answering machine, and I'm always keeping the phone line busy with my modem.
Keeps the phone spammers down.
If you need to get in touch with me, that means you're my boss. If you're my boss, you know the alternative way to get in touch with me. If you're not my boss, I don't want to buy what you're selling anyway.
Nobody ever calls here except phone spammers and my boss. Everybody I know sends email. It's more convenient that way.
That's the seed of a good idea. You'd want to be sure and locate the phone and monitor side outside the shop or near the door. Otherwise, I'll pick up your screaming power tools and amplify them, as well.

The easiest would be to have regular phone line in your shop and that way you could transfer your cell phone calls to your phone. Its easier to find the light hook up to your regular phone line. Radio Shack would be a good start.
D.Martin
On 12 Oct 2003 15:16:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@olywa.net (torlissa) wrote:

Fone Flasher 2 is a great aid when earmuffs are used. IIRC ~$30.00USD

the better new active earmuffs are great. they quit the loud sounds (keeps them below 82db's) and it amplifies the quiet ones. you can talk while tools are on or here something drop or hear the phone or whatever.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Do you have these Steve? And where did you getum and how much?
Thanks all'yal for the comments. I do think that at some point in time a strobe will be made for cell phones as they are for landlines, for us folks that run a business and need to answer the phone.
If anyone sees one, give me a holler.
tor
Do they make those phone strobes for two lines? I don't know how many business calls I've missed while building bird houses in the shop.
Pete http://www.Pistoleer.com - Retail & Wholesale (PH/FX 618-288-4588) __________________________________________________________________ A-Zoom snap-caps, Bore-Stores cases, Kleen-Bore gun care products Pachmayr grips & pads, Targets, HKS speedloaders, FREE classifieds

All the ones I've seen are single line. *BUT* nothing says you can't use a two-line splitter, and plug one into each line.
Radio Shack sells both the splitter (that'll take the two lines on a 2-pair RJ-12 jack, and deliver them as 'line 1' on two separate RJ-11 jacks -- around $6), and the 'strobes' -- ask for a "phone flasher", they've recently introduced a new model.