Buck Rogers' Millers Falls no 714

I have a Millers Falls no. 714 that is in excellent shape. I have been using it for a couple of years off and on. It was designed for general carpentry, but it appears to have a lot of value in the collector's market.
http://www.public.coe.edu/~rroeder/main/bench/buckr.htm
http://www.toolsrules.com/PLANES.htm (see 4th item down)
Mine is a type 1. There is one of the handle screws missing, but otherwise it looks like it could have been bought last week.
I often wonder if I should sell it and get a Lie Nielson equivelent and possibly still have money left over for some other tools. Although it works very well, it was designed for carpentry (has a fairly wide fixed throat).
Does anyone know what the range of prices are for this plane? The $1,500 price seems like it would be at the top end.
Eric

WOW $1500, this guy in not shy is he? Never really heard Millers Falls going near that much. I am by far no expert in the matter. But most of the Millers Falls go for pretty cheap around the local flea markets (around the Millers Falls area). I might need to take a second look next time.
Worth mentioning, 1949 was pretty much at the height of their production level. WWII had them up to 4000 workers, and I am sure that somewhat continued for a few years after that.
Always worth a shot. Try putting it up on Ebay, with a reserve, and see what you get. A quick scan of ebay shows Millers Falls plane not going for over $72 in the past 90 days. You do of course have a somewhat unique one, so it might draw in a lot more. Who knows?
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
Ebay is an idea. I need to give it some thought because it belonged to a friend, but I need to be practical also because I am a user, not a collector.
Chris wrote:

The 709 smoother and the 714 jack were part of Millers Falls "Buck Rogers" line of hand tools. The nickname is derived from the red plastic and shiny chrome used to make them look fancy and modern. That style didn't really catch on which is why they are uncommon and collectible. Look for some pictures.
Other tools in that line include an eggbeater drill, a breast drill (I think) and a brace. It appears from the sales brochures I have found online that there were a lot of tools with that same styling, the planes seem to command the highest prices.

Yes, as far as colectors go, the MF 7xx planes are not in the same class as other MF planes.
--

FF

eganders wrote:

My wife picked up a type 1 # 714 for me about a year ago at a flea market. It required only some minor cleaning, a tune up and is in almost perfect shape (a few scratches). It didn't come with the box. She paid $15.00 for it. Do you suppose the box is worth $1,485?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Hi Eric -