Millers Falls No. 2 drill

I just got my 1st one of these, with 6 original bits but without the side handle and at a great price. I just need to know how the chuck is loosened from a tight closed position. I got the chuck off the threaded shaft but I cannot see how the jaws open and close, it looks like the chuck has two holes on the bottom on either side of the thread hole so is that the lower bottom peice turns, apart from the upper connicle part that has the jaws? Like maybe I need a spanner U-wrench to loosen it?

Thanks anyone who can help,

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

Joe Gorman

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Thanks Joe, a kind reply. I found that the chuck is one solid peice with sprung jaws inside. I gave it some tapping and the jaws went back down into the chuck. Now I have it soaking in wd-40 in a covered can. The grit build-up is too much, and the jaws and spring need to be worked. I noticed the way it works, place in a bit and tighten by screwing the chuck down the thread shaft, as tightened it will stay that way while in use, but I still like the key type better.

Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

To tighten or loosen the chuck hold the chuck with one hand and turn the crank with the other.

Nova

So, how did they get the jaws, and springs, into the chuck? I've seen a few that looked to be one piece, but it was due to a very precise fit between the bottom oiece and the base. There's also a circular piece inside that the shafe presses upwards to tighten the jaws. When unscrewed the shaft releases the pressure and the springs push the jasw open and down. wish I had one in front of me to look at so I could describe it better. Maybe I'll remember when I get home. joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman