Re: Why are DIYers sometimes shut out from quality stuff?

> It just seems, more often than not, these Mom and Pop stores don't want > the general public's business. I wasted a lot of time today trying to > help the local economy out. Now, I'm going to have to do a big net > search, and put off finishing my project until it gets here. >

Their business model insures that they lose money on very small purchases. So, as they are not in business for their health, they don't want you business. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Be prepared to produce a contractors license, and a tax exemption card! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I disagree. I had $1000 cash in my pocket. Would've probably made another trip or two back and spent a total of $3000-4000 by the everything was done.

Most contractors are only going to buy stuff for the one bathroom they are doing as well. I'm doing two bathrooms. It is true that I'm unlikely to be a repeat buyer, but doing my 2-3 sales is going to make them just as much as a contractor visit.

Don't tell me that a lot of contractor visits don't involve the contractor coming back for that one elbow or whatever he didn't think he needed at the last visit.

Reply to
bf

Fortunately, I found it online, so I don't have to give those jerks my business.

Reply to
bf

I work for a HVAC company. We do not do business with "wholesalers" that sell to the general public. The two main wholesalers we deal with would have tossed you out on your ear! Your $1000 dollars means nothing to the $500,000 dollars we spend annually at each place. We used to deal with another wholesaler in town. After the second time we got called to do warranty work on equipment that was sold direct we flushed them! We probably did $250,000 a year with them at the time, now maybe $500 a year on stuff we absolutely can not get anywhere else. It is not worth it to the wholesaler to piss off a customer that does a bunch of business with them to satisfy you and you $1000! Sorry, but that is the way it goes! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Apples and oranges.. This is a relatively small tile store. They didn't appear to be that prosperous. No one was in the store other than me. And it's not like I was trying to install my own HVAC. I certainly not going to call you or any other real contractor to service it if I screw it up. No need to get so cranky. I just wanted access to some supplies, and I couldn't get it. Wouldn't that be frustrating for you?

I didn't expect anyone to bow down and worship me because I was going to spend $1000. All I wanted was for one of them to spend maybe 3 minutes pulling off items that I had on a list in hand. I wasn't going to ask any questions or return anything. I've already done 5 tile showers, I know what I'm doing. I moved, so I didn't know that the normal guy can't buy the good supplies locally in this city. Had no problem getting the stuff in my former city.

Reply to
bf

Apples and oranges?? No they were a wholesaler, period, makes no difference what they sell.

Don't be fooled by appearances! Much of their sales are probably dropped shipped right to the contractor, no need to look prosperous, just do the job. I know a couple of guys doing business out of a shit hole office that are multimillionaires! Their business does not require marble floors and fancy lighting, but you should see their homes!

Who's cranky? Not me! I am pretty amused by it all!

It seems to me that you fail to understand how most wholesalers work, they don't sell to the general public, period!! You have done tile before, so what? I never questioned you qualifications, nobody did, nobody cares.

If you really needed that certain tile I am sure any flooring retailer would have gladly picked it up for you and sold it to you. that is generally how it works, sure you can find a loop hole if you look hard enough.

I have done a fair amount of tile too. I bought it at the local retailer! The wholesaler wouldn't sell to me! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

For every one like you, there are hundreds that are a PITA to the wholesaler. What makes America and capitalism so great is that most business people are free to make their own rules.

Some time back there was an article in the newspaper about Litchfield County, CT. Lots of well to do New Yorkers are moving in. The local auto parts store sold to both repair shops and over the counter walk ins. Seems like all the newer customers would ask a hundred questions, buy the part, then even ask for free help to install it. Unless you can get a tattoo on the forehead that certifies you are OK, your guy decided to avoid all walk in customers.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Warranty or not it still makes no difference. Most wholesalers just won't deal with the public. Do you think that warranty problems never come up with floor tile? If you were a flooring installer and walked into a home and recognized the flooring that could only be bought through a wholesaler, so for the heck of it you as who installed the floor. The homeowner tells you XYZ Tile Wholesaler, an I installed it myself. As a contractor you may be a bit PO'd if the wholesaler was to sell to contractors only.

Another point, it is very possible the tile manufacturer restricts sales through company trained wholesalers, it does happen sometimes on other products. The wholesaler may have been just playing CYA.

In my case, anybody can buy HVAC equipment off the 'net. Look at most warranties and the warranty is void if not installed by a licensed and factory trained person. Greg

Reply to
Greg O