Bosch 1587 discounted at Lowes

Page 1 of 2

My local Lowes had the Bosch 1587 jigsaw marked down to $65 tonight. Other Lowes may be doing the same thing, so if you're thinking about purchasing a jigsaw don't wait.
Puckdropper

On 9/10/10 9:55 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Oooooo, and I'm in the market. My B&D is great as cutting jigsaw puzzles, weather you're trying to or not.
--

-MIKE-

On 9/10/2010 9:55 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I have that model, and it's a fine little machine. That's a smokin' good deal.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 9/11/2010 12:11 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

If they've got stock--none of the Lowes near me is showing stock.

J. Clarke wrote:

Me too--Indianapolis area.

That is a good price the cheapest I have seen it is around $99. But that is the "combination lock" model. A great saw but the blade change feature is much more desirable on the later models. Yeah you don't change blades often... till you use one that changing a blade takes a second or two. Good find!
On 9/11/2010 7:35 AM, Leon wrote:

Every time I need to change a blade on my 1587 I have to find the manual first.
But that is an excellent price, it is a helluva machine, and you _can_ eventually learn how to change the blade ... I think?
;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I about fell out of my chair laughing when I read that. It honestly took me a few years of using ONLY that jigsaw to get where I remember "the combination". And it has the instructions printed on the machine!
But for the longest time, if I didn't have my readers with me, I was up against it. I twisted, turned, counted, fussed and cussed getting those damn blades in the thing.
Excellent tool, though.
Robert

Beats having to hunt for the long narrow screwdriver for the older ones though.

I about fell out of my chair laughing when I read that. It honestly took me a few years of using ONLY that jigsaw to get where I remember "the combination". And it has the instructions printed on the machine!
But for the longest time, if I didn't have my readers with me, I was up against it. I twisted, turned, counted, fussed and cussed getting those damn blades in the thing.
Excellent tool, though.
Robert
One of the absolutely worst jig saws I read about and had first hand experience changing blades on was the DeWalts from 8~10 years ago. You thought the blade was in there tight till the wood pinched the blade and won the tug of war. It was hell pulling the blade out of the kerf with out the saw attached to it.
On 9/13/2010 10:10 AM, Leon wrote:

They all beat my Dad's first one. It was a "McGraw-Edison" that he got at the Navy Exchange for something like 12 bucks. Had an allen-head set screw to hold the blade. Sock it down as hard as you could (and that wasn't very hard--put much force on it and the damned screw cracked) and half the time the blade fell out before it started to cut.
Then there was the Wen reciprocating saw (imagine a Sawzall powered by a three-legged gerbil) that also used a set screw, albeit a little bit bigger one.
He used to build docks with those things.
I got him a Sawzall for Christmas one year. He'd always thought that they were overpriced for what they delivered, until he used it and the blade stayed in and it didn't bog down on anything.
thought the blade was in there tight till the wood pinched the blade and won

I hate doing that with drill bits ~ especially small drill bits. On some of the garden furniture projects I've been building out of cedar, I often drill a pilot hole so the nails don't split the wood. Occasionally, the wood pulls the drill bit out of the drill and it's hell to get the bit out of the wood without snapping it off.
wrote in message

Don't you put the drill back on the bit and tighten it back down? It works about 90% of the time for me.
Puckdropper

On 9/13/2010 1:59 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

Or clamp the impact chuck down on it and take it out with the impact driver.
"Puckdropper" <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in message news:

Of course, but it's fraught with problems. Tightening a 5 pound drill down on a 1/16" drill bit while keeping the drill perfectly vertical is difficult to say the least. One little fraction of wavering with the drill snaps the bit off. Don't know if that's ever happened to you, but it's happened to me more than once. Can't think of a faster way to blemish a project than trying to retract a tiny drill bit from a piece of wood.

I use my hand and not a key to tighten the chuck. On occasions like you're describing, I've always been successful in placing the open chuck over the bit, using my right hand to trigger the motor and the left to close the chuck on the bit. Once it engages, a couple minor wiggles will loosen the rotating bit enough to ease its removal.
Mark

It's a keyless chuck in a cordless drill. The problem is that the drill's heaviest part is off center ( the battery) so one little flinch and the drill bit breaks off. The suggestion to use a nail with the end sharpened sounds like a decent solution so I'll have to try that one out.

That figures.
I hate "keyless" chucks you can never get then as tight as a proper keyed chuck. Worst invention ever.

I've found the keyless chucks on the better quality drills to be more than adequate. You don't need to deform the drill bit, just hold it very securely.
Cheap keyless chucks aren't worth the time.
Puckdropper

On Sep 14, 10:13am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
uk:

You said a mouthful. A quality keyless chuck is more that adequate. A piss-poor one, and there are many, totally suck canal water and I would much prefer a keyed chuck in that case. The keyless on my Milwaukee almost does deform the bit, the one on my Makita, not so much.
What I have been looking for, is a chuck, keyless or otherwise, which is mounted on a 1/4" hex shaft so I can pop it in my impact driver when I need a quick pilot hole of an odd size..... besides, the drills which come mounted in a 1/4" hex shank, all seem to suck. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place.