Boeshield T9 Problem

After reading the good reviews of Boeshield T9 rust preventative, I bought some at a wood working show. My new general tablesaw had been sitting in my garage since I bought it about a month ago. After cleaning up the gunk manufacturers put on the machines to avoid rust, it didn't have any protective layer on it, and it looked fine a month later. Then I bought the Boeshield. Before putting it on, I rubbed the table down with naphtha, after which I sprayed Boeshield on and wiped most of it off. The next day I had rust. I cleaned all of it off with mineral spirits and re-applied Boeshield. Again, the next day I had rust. I called the company and was just told to "put it on thicker." After being bitten twice, I'm hesitant to go through it again. Anyone have any theories? I'm leaning towards simply using Johnson paste wax on the table top.

-Peter De Smidt

Reply to
Peter De Smidt

I've got T-9 and it is the BEST product I've ever used to prevent rust. Better than paste wax. I use SC Johnson's paste wax on all tables that come in contact with wood. I use the T9 on other metal surfaces and haven't seen any rust forming on the T9 protected items. I don't wipe it off like you said you did...

dave

Peter De Smidt wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

How exactly do you apply it? Just spray it on and walk away? I tried it but wasn't impressed. It didn't leave a slick surface. Maybe I didn't apply it properly. I went back to TopCote and have never had rust problems.

Reply to
BeerBoy

My guess is that you are not cleaning the rust off as well as you think. Just a little staying under the protective coating will just spread.

I recently used Top Saver to clean my saw table top and it removed the rust and left it looking better than anytime since it was new. Supposedly the protection is a notch lower than the T-9, but the cleaning is much better. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

But then again, you live in one of the nicest climates in the US.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

yes, I meant to mention that in my post, but hit send first...

dave

B a r r y wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Wiping it OFF gives little protection. If you want the level of protection you desire, you spray it on liberally, let it set, and it produces a thick, soft, waxy surface that is superb for rust protection, but SUCKS for use on a table saw TABLE

Use paste wax or something like TopCote on the table, use the Boeshield elsewhere on the saw.

Again, if you use BoeShield, DO NOT wipe it off, and be sure you shake the can real well

John

Reply to
John Crea

Boeshield does NOT and was never intended nor designed to leave a "slick" surface

Use a different product if that is your goal, pastewax is the tried and true solution for cast iron table tops, but you gotta apply and re-apply as neeeded

John

Reply to
John Crea

And, of course, Boeshield is NOT intended as a Cleaner/Rust remover, so that is an apples and oranges comparison

John

Reply to
John Crea

Well, leaving a thin coat should give better protection than no protective. Spraying Boeshield on *caused* the table to noticably rust in a day. This is *much* worse than what occurred the entire month the top sat in the garage unprotected. Since BoeShield *causes* rust in my application, I'm not sure why applying more would be a good idea. I'm also at a loss as to why I should use Boeshield to cause rust on the non-top parts of the saw.

I have two theories. One, there was a manufacturing defect and moisture got into the T9. Second, while there wasn't any visible rust after a month sitting unprotected, and I'm using a 2000 watt movie light as my setup light/heater at the moment and so I doubt that I missed seeing any, then perhaps there was microscopic rust that the Naphtha didn't remove. If so, then perhaps spraying Boeshield sealed in whatever was causing the rust, which caused the surface to rust faster.

I open to any other theories. My plan is to use BoeShield rust removing spray and then apply paste wax to the top. Unless I can figure out what went wrong, however, I won't use T-9 for anything.

-Peter

Reply to
Peter De Smidt

I would suspect that the table top was NOT totally cleaned of any rust OR maybe the table top was NOT 100% DRY when you applied the BoeShield

Been us>John Crea wrote:

Reply to
John Crea

I had the same problem... I think the trick is to put on a thick coat and leave it on until you are ready to use the saw and then wipe off the residue. I do not care for the stuff either. I prefer TopCote as it was actually developed to be used for this.

Reply to
Leon

I dont think it caused rust. I think you had residue left over from the original cleaning. Then you used Naptha to clean the surface and removed what little protection there was left. The Boeshield simply did not do the job as expected. Using the Naptha to clean the surface is probably what caused the surface to rust as it was expoed to the air.

Reply to
Leon

But Top Saver is billed as a protector and that is apples and apples. Boeshield does have a rust remover as a separate product, but I have no idea how well it performs. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was in the shop on Saturday, after not having been in there for more than two months.

A couple of months previous to that I had experimented with using dewaxed shellac as a top coat for my jointer.

I used the jointer enough to see that the shellac was not rubbed off by use.

The only tool that showed no rust at all was the jointer.

The other tools were coated with paste wax or Boeshield, or TopCote.

I'm preaching the gospel of dewaxed shellac as a rust barrier for cast iron tools.

Can I get an Amen?

Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet)

Tom Watson

Amen brother Tom!

But I haven't actually tried it yet. So far my cheap box fan is working wonders.

Reply to
Silvan

Would this work ? : 1. Apply a coat of Boeshield, let dry (for rust prevention). 2. Then on top of this apply paste wax (for "slick" surface).

I have always just used paste wax. with decent results. But I was just recently contemplating buying some Boeshield, for the first time, for the additional rust prevention. Am I being a sucker for the magazine article test results that showed Boeshield to be pretty effective ?)

I guess my question is: has anyone ever applied paste wax over Boeshield, and how did it work ?

Thanks , Ken

Reply to
Ken

Are you mixing your own shellac and brushing it on, or are you using a spray like Bull's Eye?

-Peter

Reply to
Peter De Smidt

Probably not. BoeShield leaves behind a very SOFT wax surface, and applying pastewas over that will likely remove most of the BoeShield coating

Use the Boeshield on areas that dont' need to be hard/dry and slick. Use pastewax or other commerical castiron table top treatments for the table tops

John

Reply to
John Crea

I've followed your lead and will chime in with an amen (if it works as advertised) as soon as the snow starts melting and the humidity in the shop climbs above 30%.

Ken Muldrew