Boeshield T9 Problem

I got some this week. It works great, but the smell is horrible.

Reply to
Michael Press

I had some dewaxed pale mixed up already and wiped it on with a rag.

The surface is at least as slick as proprietary coatings and it's less time consuming to reapply than wax, as it does not have to be buffed.

So far I'm happy enough with it to plan on stripping the coatings off the other machines and using the shellac on them - when the weather gets a little warmer.

Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) (Real Email is tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet)

Tom Watson

Why do you say wax has to be buffed? I never buff after applying wax to tool surfaces.

Nova

I buffed out the surface with a lamb's wool bonnet so that I was pretty much guaranteed that wax would not transfer to the wood, particularly sheet goods.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

buff the wax to make it nice and slick and to remove the excess before your wood does.

dave

Nova wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Next go round, I'm going to try it as well.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I cannot remember the acid that was in the rust remover. It was either pyrophoric or phosphoric but it does eat away at the oxidation. I had a bottle of it that leaked in my cabinet and I took some baking soda out to clean it up. You might carefully choose where you decide to store it. BTW, acids and solvents DO NOT play well together.

Philski

Reply to
Philski

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:23:08 -0500, Nova brought forth from the murky depths:

Don't you even wipe the dusty residue off, Yack? (which reminds me to wipe off that thickest scraper blade I found slightly rusted in a box last week...)

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nova: In reading about T-9, Peter Schwarz, President of PMS Products - the company that manufactures BoeShield T9 explained that Boeshield is mainly a paraffin wax in a solvent vehicle. "Once the solvent evaporates, the remaining film is a dry paraffin wax which will not stain wood."

Reply to
philski

It doesn't have to stain the wood in order to create problems in finishing. If the wax gets into the pores it will create a spot that is lighter than those areas that have no wax on them, once you get to the staining and finishing.

It's not as bad as smeared in glue but it can be a problem.