Critter - Two thumbs up!

I needed a touch up gun, so I checked the web, local dealers, etc... and examined the Porter Cable, DeVillbiss, and other brands of small guns. Then I found the Critter while searching the 'wreck archives. Due to it's relative ease of cleaning and use of easily available mason jars, I decided to give it a shot. It's a very simple, inexpensive, overgrown external mix airbrush.

I bought it today, and used it to lay down some Seal Coat on some parts. The parts range in size that might be in a typical end table or night stand. The Critter had no problem laying down wet coats of full strength Seal Coat at 40 PSI. I'd say about 20% SLX would make it perfect.

This thing is really terrific! I was able to keep the sealer in a jar, some SLX in another jar for cleaning, and quickly and easily whip the thing out for use. I can't wait to try it with lacquer and dye stains.

I wish I bought this thing a long time ago. I won't be painting any entertainment centers with it, but it sure makes small to medium spray jobs go quickly.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Ditto what B a r r y said. For $40ish it's really a no brainer.

A'yup. It's almost as easy and quick as brushing your teeth.

It does a very fine job with enamel thinned 3:1 (enamal to thinner).

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Enough of those enamals, and thinner it is!

You tried binging and purging yet?

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I purchased the critter from Amazon a couple of weeks ago and will finally be using it tomorrow. The first project will be painting a small wall hanging shelf unit I built for my niece's apartment kitchen.

Based upon reviews by others who were "quicker to the trigger", I am looking forward to using the Critter.

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

I agree. I have a nice Lynx HVLP conversion gun that works a bit better, but I love the Critter for the ease of cleaning, and the Mason-jar storage. Being basically lazy, I grab the Critter unless it's a big job.

tt

Reply to
Test Tickle

That's exactly what originally caught my attention. It's easy to clean.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Keef,

Didja know that the Critter people are based right here in my little city of London, Ontario, Canada?

David.

Reply to
David F. Eisan

Hey Barry,

I have zero experience spraying and this looks like the right price to at least give it a try. Do the instructions give any hints for thinning/viscosities to use for different materials? I'm about set to order it anyway, but I'm always curious how good the documentation for these things are. What compressor are you using with it?

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Reply to
nospambob

Nope, I just went with the spraying tips in Flexner's book. I'm going to pick up a viscosity cup so I can make apples to apples comparisons when thinning.

A DeWalt 6 gallon, 2 HP unit, which works fine.

My one and only use was with Seal Coat, straight up at 40 PSI. The results were good, but I bounced an awful lot of product off the work. Even so, I'm impressed with ease of use and cleanup of the Critter. I'm going to experiment by slowly thinning the product and lowering the pressure.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Sorry, it's a Porter Cable.

I have no idea why I wrote DeWalt.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

You're crazy. London is in England, not Canada.

tt

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticize him, you'll be a mile away -- and have his shoes.

Reply to
Test Tickle

Wearing yellow sunglasses?

Reply to
Vic Baron

Gordon Lightfoot, Anne Murry and now Critter. How can Canada ever top this?

By the way David, I'd pinged you a wee bit ago on your UniqueSaw. Did you get it?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

They already have.

Patrick Roy!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 00:21:49 GMT, Unisaw A100 brought forth from the murky depths:

Shania Twain alone blows that stack away, sir.

what a list! Schwinnnnnnnng!

.-. Better Living Through Denial ---

Wondrous Website Design

Reply to