Boeshield T-9 wins"Wood" Magazine's rust preventative test

Nice to see a product I bought against my better judgment (It's WAAAY pricey) has been given great reviews by Wood for preventing rust, compared to slipit, fastwax, topcote, and 2 waxes.

Keeter: Naval Jelly was frowned on for use on stationary tools.

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Not surprised, BoeShield has a fanatical following in the boating world where salt spray/etc is the norm

I've used it for many years and swear by it as a rust preventative, but frankly would NOT use it on my woodworking surfaces, it leaves a very SOFT wax film behind that would rub off fairly rapidly

John

Reply to
John Crea

John, I use it on surfaces not subject to wood being placed on them, like the cast iron stand for my Delta DP. Being in CA, I rely primarily on SC Johnson's Paste Wax for TS and jointer. Humidity in my shop today is about 65%. The magazine bears out my observation that the stuff doesn't dry in just an hour, either.

dave

John Crea wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Dave

Non wear surfaces are ideal for BoeShield T-9

And I agree totaly, if you spray and WIPE it off, it dries in about

1hr or so, but if you spray it on and just let it dry, it can take DAYS to dry totally.

Also, it does better at rust prevention on horizontal pieces versus vertical ones, as it runs down on vertical stuff and leaves a thinner "coat" than it does when applied to horizontal stuff and you get a thicker layer/coat

I totally agree, for wear surfaces like table tops, jointer beds, etc, it is hard to beat a good pastewax coating, and a whole lot easier to re-apply pastewax as needed compared to re-spraying the BoeShield T-9

Anyone have any first hand experience on the BoeShield Blade and Bit cleaner???

John

Reply to
John Crea

After trying all of the products on the market, I decided to try wiping the cast iron down with dewaxed shellac. So far it is working perfectly. It goes on quickly, gives a smooth surface, has higher resistance to water vapor than wax, wears well, is cheap, and is easy to reapply when needed. My shop is next to a creek and is only intermittently heated (by a fire-breathing-moisture-producing-kero-fired-salamander heater) and I have had zero rust since switching to the shellac coating.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

he said "Better Judgment" LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Reply to
goonair