Boeshield

I just go t a new tablesaw. It has a cast ion top were my old one was aluminum. Using paste wax on the old one made it extremely slick. The new one doesn't seem to take to it as well. Actually, after waxing it seems rather sticky. I don't know if it is just because of the cold and the wax is not drying or what but I need to find something better. If it is due to the cold, I don't want to have to wait until summer for the wax to dry. How does Boeshield do under these conditions? It's not really that cold. It's about

55 degrees right now.
Reply to
CW

IMHO, that's far too cold for paste wax.

You need at least 65F to get it to flow properly.

If you use Boeshield, be interested in how it works out since I'm thinking about using it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I use Boeshield and I go down a lot lower in temperature. Works for me.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've used "Topcote" for several years with good results.

Max

I guess I'll give it a try. Don't know where I can find it locally though. Odd, as Boeing aircraft is within walking distance of my house.

Reply to
CW

Ask for it at the guardhouse. Can't say I've ever seen it at a local hardware store. Woodcraft has it but that is a 40 mile one way trip.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Actually the rougher the table surface the less drag it provides. My polished Jet cast iron is not nearly as smooth as my old Craftsman cast iron as far as ease of sliding a board across it.

I tried Boshield and was not impressed. I went with several coats of TopCote.

Reply to
Leon

Do a Google, take your choice.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Sears carries the pack with the rust remover and the T-9.

Reply to
Andrew Hartung

I use Boesheild for lubrication of metal to metal parts and corrosion protection. It's great stuff for fogging or wiping tools down after a day of use or a water sharpening session.

I prefer Bostik Top Coat, CRC's slightly cheaper version of Top Cote, or Empire's pump spray Table Lube for tops. The Bostik product is my favorite, simply because the CRC product smells worse than ass.

Lee Valley and Highland Woodworking sell all of 'em if you can't get them locally.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Quite true. The top is surface ground rather than the blanchard grind of most, so it is quite smooth. I just ordered the Topcoat.

Reply to
CW

I use TopCote and recommend it. I use Boeshield too, but not for your application. JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Keep in mind that the TopCote still does not make the surface as slick as a rough one however it is less messy, holds up better than Boeshield and is very easy to apply. Put down a couple of heavy coats the first time and wipe down between coats. Now that I have a good coat on the surface I don't bother wiping the haze off any more. Also, Empire, the original maker of TopCote has it own line of top products that are pretty darn good also. IMHO on a par with TopCote.

I miss the rougher Craftsman surface for that "glide across the top" performance. As a side note, the European companies, and in particular MiniMax, use the rough surface on their upper end TS's and machines for the reduced friction effect.

Reply to
Leon

Empire also makes Top Saver. If you do get some rust, the Top Saver is fantastic for cleaning it up with minimal elbow grease.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I had considered scraping the top for a smoother glide but I'm really not that motivated. I have stripped the wax off which has helped. After using it like this, the Topcoat will probably seem amazing.

Reply to
CW

Run a ROS over it with a fine Scotchbrite.

It works...

Reply to
B A R R Y