Tablesaw Wings - Cast Iron or Steel?

I was looking at tablesaws this afternoon, and saw that some have steel wings and others have cast iron wings. Cast iron wings usually increase the cost of the saw considerably, but I'm curious what advantage they would have over steel wings?

I've never had a problem with the steel wings on my current saw, though admittedly it's a very low end saw. And I see a lot of people make wood wings to mount routers in anyway.

I could save about $100 on a new saw by choosing steel wings. Would I be losing much?

Thanks,

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Cast iron wings are stiffer and stronger. Stamped steel wings are cheaper. Jim

Reply to
Jim

My first table saw and band saw had steel wing extensions. They work but they typically have to be tweaked 7 ways to Sunday to get them flat. Typically they have angle brackets that have to be tightened, adjusted, retightened, over and over PLUS getting it flush to the TS table top.

The cast iron adsorb vibration much better and need to only be aligned to the same plane of the TS top.

If money is important the steel will work but like every thing else, the better choice is almost always more expensive.

Reply to
Leon

I have to agree with Leon. When I bought a new TS last year, I opted for the steel wings. This was a big mistake as I spent most of a day trying to get them aligned. I would have saved $100 by buying the cast iron extensions with the saw instead of seperately. I installed the cast iron extensions and they work a lot better. YMMV

Allen

Reply to
Allen Roy

Personally, I'd pick the cast iron. It will stay flat and there will be less vibration. The better saws have cast iron, not stamped steel. But, wings are not the most important part of a tablesaw. Take a close look at the fence, that's important.

Reply to
Phisherman

Bite the bullet. You'll be glad you did.....until you have to carry the saw.;-)

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Not considered prudent stewardship of your available resources.

Steel: "No"

Cast Iron: "Yes"

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Cast iron doesn't bend: it does warp. A careful check of all flat cast iron parts should be made to check ono flatness. Today's cast iron is almost never seasoned as it used to be, so warping is more of a problem. Once a cast iron surface IS flat, it stays flat, barring accident, excessive heat or similar problems. Oh, sorry. Issues.

Cast iron also adds to the saw's mass, and, all else being equal, the more mass, the less vibration.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Heavy is good, as a property of a stationary tool.

I've had both, and I'd buy the cast over stamped wings, unless I knew I will install a router table or sliding table.

No matter which wings you choose, some bags of "tube sand" over the legs can improve the operation of contractor's saws.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I would agree and go with cast iron extensions. Rigid, flat, sturdy, substantial, provide clamping access.

Look for a USED saw and save the $$ that way.

Also look at OLDER contractor saws for heavier cast Iron trunions (undercarriage/motor & blade mounts. Look to accessory (third patry) options to see what is sold for which saws. SEARS made a BS that was very difficult to find stuff for. There are alignment adjusters available for SOME saws and not others. I would rather own one of those SOME saws.

If you can find an estate sale where wife is selling dead hubby's tools you may find a sweet deal an o great saw and accessory fence. If you can't wait for a sale, buy the cast iron and a great fence with solid, one-piece support rails.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

I added the cast iron wings to my table saw. As others said, adds mass, less vibration. Go with the cast iron.

Dave

Reply to
DLB

Anthony: I have had both and my current saw has cast iron. Properly installed and aligned, cast iron essentially provides a single, smooth table top. The joints practically disappear. Much better surface on which to work and handle your material.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Yep.. and both rust well..lol

I saw a review of a saw the other day.. maybe Steel City?, that had titanium coated table and wings as a $200 option.. on a cabinet saw, if I remember right.. If it works, it could save more than $200 in rust remover and topsaver over the life of the saw..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Don't bet on it. I have a titanium coated drill bit here that is nicely rusted after getting about three drops of rain on it and not getting promptly cleaned.

Reply to
J. Clarke

mac davis wrote: : I saw a review of a saw the other day.. maybe Steel City?, that had titanium : coated table and wings as a $200 option.. on a cabinet saw, if I remember : right..

Steel city offers a table saw with a granite top.

"machines perfectly flat, will not warp or change. It is not affected by heat, cold or humidity and will not rust like traditional cast iron table tops. The heavy duty stone top helps absorb vibration making the cut smooth and blade alignment accurate. It is also virtually maintenance-free."

--- Chip

Reply to
Chip Buchholtz

Mon, Dec 3, 2007, 7:04pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@unknown.com (HerHusband) doth wonder: I was looking at tablesaws this afternoon, and saw that some have steel wings and others have cast iron wings. Cast iron wings usually increase the cost of the saw considerably, but I'm curious what advantage they would have over steel wings?

Do you mean stamped steel wings? You didn't specify.

Given the choice, and available funds, I'd opt for cast iron wings. However, if it came to a choice of stamped steel wings or no saw at all, I'd take steel wings in a heartbeat.

JOAT Even Popeye didn't eat his spinach until he had to.

Reply to
J T