Tablesaw top query

Folks -

Do any of you know if it's possible to get surplus tablesaw tables or cast sidewings? I am thinking they'd make a dandy router table? I can't be the first to think of this....

John Moorhead

Reply to
John Moorhead

"John Moorhead" wrote in news:3kUqd.51907$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

There has been some discussion that this may be the best way to use an older Craftsman contractor's saw with a blown motor. Often available for less than $100 in the SF Bay Area.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I'm sure it'd be better to find something used for this purpose, but, as a last resort, you can buy new cast iron wings for a lot of tablesaws. For example, the DW7462 is a cast iron extension wing for a DW746, is

28x10x2, and is on Amazon for $85. I have one that came off my tablesaw when I got a deal on the sliding table I couldn't pass up, and I've been saving it figuring someday I'd want a table for some shop-made tool and be glad I had it.

-BAT

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas

I've seen used table saws at flea markets, garage sales, newspaper ads, pawn shops, junk yards, etc. With some patience and clean up, I'm sure some would make good router tables. I made my own router table from scratch--it was a fun project and I got exactly what I need.

Reply to
Phisherman

Agreed - I sold an old Craftsman that had a bad motor for $40 this summer and was lucky to get that. However, it did not have the cast wings. Very few of them in it's vintage did (Mid 70's).

At 2' square (approx) you might not need the wings because it was as large as some of the commercial tables.

Reply to
RonB