Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

Page 9 of 9

Right... and I'm pointing out for the benefit of the guy who asked the question originally that the reasoning behind your wanting to see the blade is faulty.
Keeping the blade uncovered so you can see it *does* increase the hazard (you even agreed with that) and it does *not* provide any advantages.
--
Regards,

Not using the guard can increase the hazard. Correct, no one disputes that. that horse is dead.
There are advantages as I have indicated. If you cannot wrap you mind around that perhaps a coloring book would help.

The "advantages" you've indicated are purely illusory. There are in fact no advantages at all, and it's not *me* having trouble wrapping his mind around a simple concept. Statically aligning the pencil mark is every bit as accurate, perhaps even more so, than trying to align to a spinning blade -- as long as you pick the right tooth (which seems to be where you're having trouble).
It's faster, it's safer, and the only reason for not doing so is "I've never done it that way before."
--
Regards,

LOL.... I sincerely hope you never actually start to post anything that is of any importance as I will miss it.

IOW... you know you lost the argument, but won't admit it... LOL
--
Regards,
Want to do a pol? I doubt very many will be on your side. I came very close to doing the same thing to you as Leon did.

I frankly don't care if you, or Leon, or anyone else, killfiles me, and I'll be quite happy to debate with anyone the proposition that aligning pencil marks to a spinning saw blade somehow saves time or improves accuracy as compared to aligning the same marks with a single tooth when the blade is stopped.
Leon at least had enough sense to recognize that leaning over a spinning saw blade while sliding a board back and forth to align a pencil mark to the blade is less safe than making the alignment when the saw is not running -- but when I pointed out that he had completely failed to justify his frankly absurd contention that doing so saved time and improved accuracy, he got his panties in a wad, made a few snide remarks, and bailed on the discussion.
No great loss IMO.
[My apologies to all if this post appears multiple times -- having some trouble with the newsreader software]

Well I certainly am not to be compared to Sam Maloof but I suspect that he and I have similar methods of making cuts. I had to chuckle the other day while watching Modern Masters on TV.. Sam Maloof was one of the artists being recognised. He was rounding over the edges of a 2" wide leg for one of his rockers with a large router. He was holding the router with only one hand while holding the leg with the other. He said that he had his share of scars from not having always done things in a more conventional way.

Yeah, and then there is Roy. I know that he will always be wearing a bandaid and hope that the bandaid is all he will ever need. ;~)

Some people just don't have the common sense God gave a stump.
--
Regards,

BOY YOU can say that again.

Yep. IMO that includes people with a history of multiple table saw injuries who still haven't figured out that using a blade guard is a good idea.
--
Regards,

Ok to clarify, Do you ever have a slight bit of tear out on the back side of a cut that gets sanded off? I don't cut that much into the lead of the cut. I push the wood up until the blade, let me say this again, "begins" to cut the wood. Read that as when the blade touches the wood I stop pushing. The amount removed during that initial approach usually gets sanded off to ease the edge during finish sanding.

So tell me, how does this work out for you when you are ripping a sheet of plywood? :)
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

Ever seen Leon? He stands about 12'6" and weighs in about 500. He's from Texas you know:)

LOL,,, I use the cursor on the fence to set the width. The days of measuring from a tooth are long gone EXCEPT when I have the dado blades on my saw. It being a left tilt requires this old way of doing things.

I use the stock Jet guard whenever it is physically possible - which is probably 99% of the time. Before the guard comes off, I will try very hard to find some other method or tool to make the desired cut. If the guard absolutely HAS to come off, I use feather boards and push sticks to ensure that I do not need to place flesh in harms way. Replacing the guard and checking the splitter alignment takes about 45 seconds, substantially less than the healing time for any injury I can imagine.
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 03:21:31 +0000, Samson wrote:

My blade guard has been off since the day it was first plugged in. Today I hooked it back up. I'll give it a trial for now, but I've already noticed scratching where the anti-kickback pawls (Craftsman 10" contractors saw ... all original except for the belt & blade) were dragging across the wood. I'm not too thrilled with that.
It is a crummy design when the cutoff is thin enough to fit underneath it. The liklihood that I will feel said cutoff before I even see it approaches certainty. BTDT numerous times.
BUT, I'll give it yet another trial.
If the Saw STop people want to make a metric ton of money, all they have to do is design a retro-fit for the Craftsman saws ... of which there are at least 2 zillion ... all still in use.
Bill

I took the pawls off of mine on about day two, for exactly that reason.
And because they're unnecessary. With proper cutting technique, properly surfaced stock, *and* a splitter in place, kickback is extremely unlikely.
--
Regards,