Need Help with Sears 12" Lower Blade Guard retaining spring repair

All;

I mistakenly took apart the lower blade guard on my Sears 12" Compound Miter Saw Model 315.212050, and the retaining spring popped out. I can't seem to get it coiled up behind the guard again and get it back together. Is there a secret method? I am in the middle of a big project and can't let saw go to Sears repair in Penn. Local Rochester tool repair places do not work on Sears gear. ANy suggestions?

Reply to
Ned Foley

I had a similar situation with my Ryobi saw last week. Hard to describe without a diagram but the spring on this one was a helix, two layered coils of flat, thin spring steel; is yours similar? After a lot of frustration, I finally got it together by pulling one end down and away from the rest of the coil and slipping the loose end into the slot in the shaft. Once that was set, I slowly wound the rest of the spring around the shaft and into the slot.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

If it's that nuisance lower guard is all, I'd simply take if off entirely for the time being then(+). All it protects at best is a sideways insertion that happens to hit where it is; if you have your finger in the cutting zone it'll be happy to move out of the way for it just as for the work...

(+) Make another at least half-hearted attempt, anyway so you can say you did try... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to remove the screw to the metal armature that connects to the lower guard and the screw won't budge. Looks like I'll need a little heat to melt the LokTite.

Reply to
Ned Foley