Blade Guard on a Table Saw?

Page 8 of 9

Precicely. I do not want to rotate the blade at all. Typically the blade wants to return back to the previous positiion after you let go and you are back where you started. Its just an extra step that I do not widh to take.

I ease the wood up to the blade and watch where the blade "begins to cut" in relation to the mark. If it is not where I want it, I simply move the board left or right and proceed with the cut. Not totally unlike using a portable circle saw and beginning the cut. I never use any thing but the spinning blade to align the start of the cut.

leaving the blade guard off because you don't want to take that "extra step". Do you leave your seat belt off when you drive, too, because it takes too long to buckle it on?

So in other words, you're:
(a) leaning over a spinning, unguarded blade so you can see where it's hitting the board -- because that's the only way you can see where the blade actually contacts the leading (bottom) edge of the wood -- and
(b) adjusting the position of the wood back and forth while directly adjacent to said spinning, unguarded blade
because you don't want to take the "extra step" of rotating the (stopped) blade a couple of teeth to make a static alignment.
A static alignment that you will *not* have to readjust when you start the saw.
Think it through. You're *not* saving *any* time at all. And you *are* increasing the hazard.
--
Regards,

Correct.
Correct.
Correct.
Correct.
Yes, saving time and the hazaed does increase. I can live with that.

Geez, how much time does it take to rotate the blade 20 degrees or however far you have to to get a tooth set in the right direction exposed? It's not like they're set in random positions--they'll either be alternate left and right or left, center, right so you don't have to rotate more than teeth worth.

it was when I let go. I'll do it my way, you do it yours.

Damn, must be nice to have such loose bearings. Or maybe something needs balancing?

Enjoy your fingers while you have them.

That would be the set in the 3 belts.

Link belts do a pretty good job of reducing that problem.
Or you could adjust the belts from time to time so that the sets in the three belts don't line up with each other...
--
Regards,

Come on, now, don't be ridiculous -- how hard is it to hold the blade still for the three seconds it takes to line your pencil mark up?
--
Regards,
J. Clarke wrote:

It the unplugging/plugging in the saw to rotate the blade that eats up the time.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Exactly.... ;~)
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:21:40 GMT, "Leon"

I see the wisdom in Leon's method, but I don't unplug the saw to rotate the blade when I need to reference a blade tooth to line up a cut.
I use a full, or nearly full-length, wooden pencil's eraser to move it into position. The same eraser is also awesome for clearing small cutoffs away from the blade and additional light support for small parts in my various sleds.
This is why I don't like mechanical pencils. <G>

Geez, you people are nuts.

Do you think that's wise?

But you're right, that *is* correct: a properly made static alignment does *not* need to be readjusted when the blade begins to spin.

Doesn't sound like a good tradeoff to me -- especially since you're *not* saving any time. You're increasing the hazard in exchange for no benefit at all.
Do you think that's wise?
--
Regards,

If you have to move the board left or right after the blade "begins to cut", you have already mis-cut the board.
"Larry Kraus" wrote in message

He did not say that he moves the board _during the cut_ ... furthermore, you can argue the method, but you can't argue with the results once you've seen any of Leon's work.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/06

sees where the cut starts:
"I ease the wood up to the blade and watch where the blade "begins to cut" in relation to the mark. If it is not where I want it, I simply move the board left or right and proceed with the cut."
--
Regards,
"Doug Miller" wrote in message

While this is getting way too religious/fixated for further participation, I will say again what you left out of my quote ... it's damn hard to argue with Leon's results.
Perhaps there is an element of danger that goes along with talent? IIRC, Sam Maloof had a hard time, on more than one occasion, telling his fingers from the workpiece when using a bandsaw.
Then there's Roy ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

I wouldn't know -- I haven't seen his results, and that wasn't the subject of the thread anyway -- but I do know that I'm not going to ask him for safety tips.
--
Regards,
but I do know that I'm not going to ask him for safety

You know Doug, originally you asked another poster why they would want to see the blade. I gave you "1" reason why I do. I was not really looking to get in to a pissing contest but simply to answer your question. I was not trying to call your method wrong. I was simply answering your question.
I would not dream of trying to give you any tips on safety nor was I in any way trying to convince you of a better way to do it. I was simply stating why I like to see the blade. This was the way I was taught in school 40 years ago. Call it old school, call it what you like. If you like the way you do things, fine. Please don't think that I really care one way or the other how you use your saw. Again, I was only giving you an answer to your question.