Best & Worst Customer Service Lists

Naah! I nominate ANY cell phone service!

Reply to
lgb

Verizon Wireless takes the prize in my book.

Four years ago, they ran an ad in the paper touting basic cell service, 30 min/month during prime time and 1000 hours night/weekend service, free phone, no activation fee, for $19.95. Called the toll-free number and ordered one for my wife. Couple weeks later, I ordered one for myself, same plan. Only difference was that I ordered mine in person at a kiosk in the mall, so I actually had a signed contract for mine.

First bill comes in the mail for each account: $29.95. Plus charges for night and weekend use.

Called them up and asked "what gives?" They denied that they ever offered such a plan. I read them the plan code off my contract. They denied that such a plan existed. Faxed them a copy. Turns out they *did* have a plan like that after all. So they promise to fix my account.

What about my wife's account, the one I ordered by phone? Well, sir, since you don't have a contract to prove that's the plan you signed up for, we can't give you that rate.

I said, Don't go there. That works two ways: without a contract, *you* can't prove that I agreed to pay *anything* for the service. You can't prove that I agreed to any kind of early termination penalties. Fix the account, or I won't pay.

She said if I didn't pay, they'd see me in court.

I pointed out that without a contract, they would have a pretty hard time proving anything, and it would just be easier on all concerned if she would just concede that since I'd already *proved* that I was telling the truth about the first phone, I'm probably telling the truth about the second one, too.

It took them *five*months* to get the billing straightened out. Every month, for five months, I had to call them and make them adjust the bill. Idiots.

Doug Miller

That was Corporate Customer Support. Dell outsourced them for a short while, then brought it back to the US. their large corporate customers wouldn't put up with offshore support. We regularly spend $5M a year with them for workstations and servers. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

I just tried to call a co-worker on his Verizon cellphone (it's lunchtime). It didn't ring. It was on his desk...in downtown Milwaukee. No missed call notification, no ring, no nothing.

"Can you hear me now?" Indeed not.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Did you go to the Kingston site and find the right part number then order it? There are very few machines for which Kingston does not have guaranteed-compatible memory.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I agree. Kingston is top-notch for availability and for service. And if Dell is doing the "you can only buy parts from us" game, that's another reason to avoid them. For what it's worth, I never ran into that with a Dell, but again my experience with them ended about 4 years ago when I went to Apple.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

... and been around a loooooonnnggg time! I remember ordering memory from them out of the old BBS mag, _before_ Al Gore invented the Internet.

My first two 8 MB sticks were bought as an "investment" (so I told SWMBO), because it didn't look like memory prices would ever be low ... in excess of $400, IIRC ... Boy howdy, was that stupid, or what?

Funny though, she still believes what I say ... go figure.

Reply to
Swingman

Problem with all cell phones (and beepers) is the building. Where I work, it is rare to get a signal at all no matter who the carrier is. Same at our warehouse in a metal building. Walk 3 feet inside and it is DEAD. Few years back I looked into 2-way radios. The guy assured me it would be just perfect. We could not get them to work 200 feet apart, but they had a 10 mile range outside.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I just shelled out 400 bucks for a repeater so that my cell phone will work inside my house--foil vapor barrier is death on electronic signals.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It isn't always the cell phone company's fault a phone doesn't ring. I've got a Star Tac that won't ring where other phones (my wife's, for example) ALWAYS ring. I tried another phone, but didn't like the features so I'm hanging on to the Star Tac until a better phone with speaker phone capability comes out. I tried on of the LG's but it was so loud on the softest setting (earphone; not spkr) that I couldn't stand it. And I don't want the V710 either.

Dave

Dave H>

Reply to
David

Sweet Jesus add Sprint to that list of worst customer support ever.

I had a cell phone that kept thinking it was charging and then not charging, about 10 times a minute. The phone made a nice little beep every time a "connection" was made or broken. It sat on the counter of the Sprint store, beeping incessantly, for 2 hours before someone got to me to look at my phone. They took it in the back and said "see that green on the connection terminal?" "no." I replied. "Well, that green on the connection terminal is corrosion, which means that the warranty is void." Then the woman voided out my warranty and said "you can buy a new phone for $170 or you can add another line and get two "free" phones for $69.95."

After I informed her that $69.95 was not free, I said "well, since you just sat there and voided out my warranty, I'm gonna get a screw driver and take the damn thing appart and see if I can't fix it myself." I took it apart and cleared out a piece of sand or salt that was on the circuit board and the problem was fixed. There was no corrosion. Bastards.

Josh.

Reply to
Josh

Hasn't Sprint always been a company without scruples? Weren't they one of the offenders in the slamming schemes years ago, or am I thinking of MCI? or both?

Dave

Josh wrote:

Reply to
David

Well, put it this way. Some coworkers have Sprint phones, and they don't suck, where those of us with verizon phones do have service that sucks. And they're the same models of phones, so...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Do you have a link? I can ask my boss to spring for one, next time I miss a work-related page/call.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

And you have more options for buying hardware upgrades from Apple? A

Reply to
Avraham

Worst

Anything with Wagner's name on it.

Reply to
Leon

Which would make the best Natalie Woods. Reminds me of Blake and Shatner.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Same machine and you had the same experience I did just this week. A fellow at HD was glad to let me open the package and stand there and measure the Delta blades. The Deltas fit fine. I almost had a heart event when I found out what the aftermarket blades cost.

Reply to
RonB

OK, so now we're drifting back toward somewhere approaching on-topic...

Q: What kind of wood doesn't float? . . . . . . .

. . . A: Natalie.

Doug Miller