Best & Worst Customer Service Lists

Page 2 of 4

Wes Stewart wrote:

Did you go to the Kingston site and find the right part number then order it? There are very few machines for which Kingston does not have guaranteed-compatible memory.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

I agree. Kingston is top-notch for availability and for service. And if Dell is doing the "you can only buy parts from us" game, that's another reason to avoid them. For what it's worth, I never ran into that with a Dell, but again my experience with them ended about 4 years ago when I went to Apple.
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

... and been around a loooooonnnggg time! I remember ordering memory from them out of the old BBS mag, _before_ Al Gore invented the Internet.
My first two 8 MB sticks were bought as an "investment" (so I told SWMBO), because it didn't look like memory prices would ever be low ... in excess of $400, IIRC ... Boy howdy, was that stupid, or what?
Funny though, she still believes what I say ... go figure.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

And you have more options for buying hardware upgrades from Apple? <G> A
That's the beauty of Apple. You don't need to spring for hardware upgrades, sound cards, video cards, fans, boards, etc. every couple of months. You don't play computer technician, you just compute. We've just added an iMac G5, what a marvel of design.
Gerry < experienced with both platforms, Machead by choice >
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:22:37 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y."

Unless, of course, you want to stay at the bleeding edge. :) And if you don't, a PC isn't particularly difficult, either. A software & hardware geek
G.E.R.R.Y. wrote:

Uh, what leads you to believe that you _need_ to spring for hardware upgrades, sound cards, video cards, fans, boards, etc every couple of months? The only hardware upgrades I've done in the past two years or so were a couple of gigabit boards and upgraded a 120 gig disk to a terabyte RAID. And both of those were on a PIII machine.
I do have to replace a first-generation Geforce board pretty soon though--fan froze up and it's showing artifacts even with a new fan, so it's pretty clearly fried. That's on a dual PII-Xeon machine. Although given the use to which I put it these days I may just stick an old TNT2 board in it.

If you think that you _have_ to upgrade PCs every couple of months that shows that you don't have enough PC experience for your opinion to be worth listening to.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

OK. I admit you can piss farther than me.
Gerry

I must have missed Avraham's message. Of course, with an apple, you can buy hardware from whomever you want. Standard RAM, drives, cards, monitors, whatever the heck you want. Apple has been doing open architecture since the early 1980's at least.

Same here.

Well, I wouldn't say that myself, either. But the options are equally there for upgrading a PC tower, as they are for upgrading a Mac tower. Maybe Gerry was saying it's less necessary which is arguably true, but the options are there in both (heh) cases.

Maybe early 1990's, but definitely not early 1980's.

Ever seen an Apple ][ ? top lifts off, card slots right there. Might even date to 1979 but I'd have to go check.

In experiences with Apple at work during the late 80s and early 90s, all accessories for the Apples had to come from Apple and when a new generation of Apple came out, we had to buy all new accessories, the idea of upward compatible seemed to be a foreign concept. Kind of soured me on the whole thing and illustrated why Apple wound up on the bottom.

That only happened twice, AFAIK. From the original Mac (128, 512, Plus) in 1984 to the Mac SE and Mac II in 1987 when ADB ports were introduced for keyboard and mouse, and between the B&W G3 and iMac/G4 tower (1999), when ADB and SCSI went away to be replaced by USB and Firewire.
That's 12 years where all your peripherals worked no matter what Mac you bought. Yep, I can understand how constant change like that would sour anyone. What was Apple thinking?
--
One site: <http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww links<http://www.woodenwabbits.com

That's what I was thinking too, but I didn't have the details. Glad that you do.

Um, I know this one - "We should update our technology to take advantage of recent developments", right?
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 06:42:56 -0600, Dave Balderstone wrote

Ack!. That bit me (SCSI) with my current B&W G3. I had to buy a $30 SCSI card to use my old drives and scanner. PC's got it right when they used built in SCSI on all the models (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
-Bruce

Yeah, I hated having to buy those Apple sound cards at inflated prices just to be able to run the Talking Moose...
;-)
--
One site: <http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww links<http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Yup, that built-in SCSI is everywhere in the PC world. Well, at my house anyway.

I had an old 230 Mb (NOT A typo!) external SCSI Drive I used on a Mac Classic and needed to transfer some stuff before the new Firewire drive arrived. Thought what the heck, found a SCSI to USB adapter and sure enough it worked fine. Was shocked the drivers and such were built in.
Allen

Darn newbies... we just did the "my first hard drive was 5MB and the size of a washing machine" thread, right?

Isn't that nice? "It just works", once again.

And this is different from PCs changing expansion slot types how, exactly? And, do you _really_ want to put your old video card onto your new motherboard anyway? But, whatever. The Mac I bought isn't a tower, so when it becomes obsolete in 5 years, it'll go downstars to be a file server or something, and I'll buy something 5 times as fast for the same money.