Best & Worst Customer Service Lists

Page 1 of 4

What have been your best and worst customer service experiences and how would you rate them? Just service, not the tools themselves. Here's mine:
BEST Lee Valley Grizzly Lie-Neilsen
WORST General International Milwaukee
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I should think that at least one line as to why in each would be appropiate; it isn't right to knock a company without at least "refuse to take back product damaged during shipping" or the like.
PK
BEST Lee Valley Grizzly
THE ABSOLUTE ALL-TIME MOST SINCERELY BUTT-UGLY WORST: Dell Computer http://members.cox.net/valk_ryder/dell /

If you think Dell is bad, don't ever consider another brand. My last 5 computers have been Dell since 1999 and before that it was AT&T 1986, Gateway 1992, Compaq 1996, 2 Dell's 1999. 1 Dell 2000, 2 Dell's 2003.

Four years ago, they ran an ad in the paper touting basic cell service, 30 min/month during prime time and 1000 hours night/weekend service, free phone, no activation fee, for $19.95. Called the toll-free number and ordered one for my wife. Couple weeks later, I ordered one for myself, same plan. Only difference was that I ordered mine in person at a kiosk in the mall, so I actually had a signed contract for mine.
First bill comes in the mail for each account: $29.95. Plus charges for night and weekend use.
Called them up and asked "what gives?" They denied that they ever offered such a plan. I read them the plan code off my contract. They denied that such a plan existed. Faxed them a copy. Turns out they *did* have a plan like that after all. So they promise to fix my account.
What about my wife's account, the one I ordered by phone? Well, sir, since you don't have a contract to prove that's the plan you signed up for, we can't give you that rate.
I said, Don't go there. That works two ways: without a contract, *you* can't prove that I agreed to pay *anything* for the service. You can't prove that I agreed to any kind of early termination penalties. Fix the account, or I won't pay.
She said if I didn't pay, they'd see me in court.
I pointed out that without a contract, they would have a pretty hard time proving anything, and it would just be easier on all concerned if she would just concede that since I'd already *proved* that I was telling the truth about the first phone, I'm probably telling the truth about the second one, too.
It took them *five*months* to get the billing straightened out. Every month, for five months, I had to call them and make them adjust the bill. Idiots.

I just tried to call a co-worker on his Verizon cellphone (it's lunchtime). It didn't ring. It was on his desk...in downtown Milwaukee. No missed call notification, no ring, no nothing.
"Can you hear me now?" Indeed not.

Problem with all cell phones (and beepers) is the building. Where I work, it is rare to get a signal at all no matter who the carrier is. Same at our warehouse in a metal building. Walk 3 feet inside and it is DEAD. Few years back I looked into 2-way radios. The guy assured me it would be just perfect. We could not get them to work 200 feet apart, but they had a 10 mile range outside.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I just shelled out 400 bucks for a repeater so that my cell phone will work inside my house--foil vapor barrier is death on electronic signals.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Do you have a link? I can ask my boss to spring for one, next time I miss a work-related page/call.
Dave
It isn't always the cell phone company's fault a phone doesn't ring. I've got a Star Tac that won't ring where other phones (my wife's, for example) ALWAYS ring. I tried another phone, but didn't like the features so I'm hanging on to the Star Tac until a better phone with speaker phone capability comes out. I tried on of the LG's but it was so loud on the softest setting (earphone; not spkr) that I couldn't stand it. And I don't want the V710 either.
Dave
Dave Hinz wrote:

Well, put it this way. Some coworkers have Sprint phones, and they don't suck, where those of us with verizon phones do have service that sucks. And they're the same models of phones, so...

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:05:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

<<< Snipped for brevity >>>

Same thing happened to me with Sprint PCS. I had my cell for three years on the same plan- 300 anytime minutes, 2500 night and weekend minutes. When I signed up for the thing, the night minutes started at 7pm (IIRC), but they later changed their standard time to 9pm. They sort of honored my long-standing account for 4 or 5 months, but then my phone started showing the word "duplicate" on the screen every time I used it. The detailed bill showed that I was billed twice for every call- when I tried to get them to fix the service, they said I had to upgrade my plan to get more minutes (said minutes to be counted by the new 9pm standard), and denied that the plan I had had for years ever existed. My cell bill went from $25 a month to about $280. Needless to say, I dropped those sobs like a bad habit, and haven't even been tempted to get another cell phone from *any* company.
Of course, I'm sort of a freak without a cell phone these days, but I actually think it has improved my quality of life- not having a phone in my pocket leaves a lot more time for actually doing the things that I am doing. I don't think I'm ever going to get one again.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus wrote:

Sounds like a good reason to avoid Sprint, however if you had your contract in hand I suspect that a letter from a lawyer (costs about 50 bucks typically) would have straightened this out right quick.
Verizon continued trying to bill me for a year or so after I switched to AT&T.
Personally I don't find that a cell phone takes up any of my time at all. But I turn it on when I want to use it--it's for _my_ convenience, not that of the rest of the world.
I just can't figure out these people who seem to be unable to survive without a phone stuck in their ear. And I do wonder why the lot of them are too cheap to get a headset.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

They're not too cheap to get a headset, they're too important. If they used headsets, then they would be unobtrusive, and no one else would notice how important they are.

My experiences with Sprint have been similar. They appear to be ethically challenged.

I have a cell phone, but it rides in the pickup glove box, turned off, most of the time. It's only on when *I* want it to be on. I like the security it offers as far as making sure I have a means of getting help should I have problems somewhere.

Yeah ... but add Gateway to the short list. 83 year old Mom: "I have a USB2 port on my 2 year old Gateway, but it won't work with my iPod anymore?". CustomerServiceoxyMORON: "Sorry lady, you're going to have to buy a new computer for that to work".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I'm typing on a Dell. I decided some time ago I would never buy another. It's worked okay for several years until the built-in modem failed and I gave up and installed an external hardware modem. But when I tried to add memory I learned that Dell stuff is proprietary; Kingston, etc won't work.
When tech "support" went to India, that sealed their fate. I called them one time about the modem... "Sir, you are going to have to reformat your hard drive."

I did not have that problem when adding memory to my Dell.

Crucial (http://www.crucial.com ) sells memory for proprietary architectures.
PC Power And Cooling (google it) sells power supplies for Dell computers from the "Not Quite an ATX Power Connector" era, and I think the other PS manufacturers sell them too.