"Best" primer for painted cabinetry...

I'm curious about how folks paint their woodwork. Not a rub through finish, but a nice smooth coat of pigmented lacquer or paint. I've always thought that you'd prime and scuff until you had a flawless surface, and then lay down one, maybe two real nice coats of paint. Seems crazy to try and be leveling defects in paint, right? Right?!!! JP **************** Frustrated.

Everyone will say Zinser BIN primer http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=216
Spray or brush. Light sanding 1 hour later. Paint.
JayPique wrote:

Right. You need to start with a smooth, flat, flawless surface because the paint will shrink and conform to whatever surface it calls home. All you gotta do is avoid brush marks in the top coats.
I like Zinsser primer too but 1-2-3. It sands fairly well, better if wet sander. If you can find a sanding surfacer, use it.
--

dadiOH

Yeah maybe it was 123 that everyone was touting. I used one or the other as a base on my built-ins, sanded it out just a bit and had a pro company spray them (yesterday literally) and they are beautiful!!!

Thanks, fellas. JP
On 2/9/2012 4:11 PM, JayPique wrote:

Yup! The smoothness of the primer is what you see after painting.
I use BIN on everything I can. I love the stuff. Since it is colored shellac, you can build coats, sand easily, everything sticks to it, and it covers stains well. Plus, it shoots unthinned right out of the can.
When I paint wood cabs, that's the stuff for me. I put on two medium coats, then very lightly sand where needed. Wouldn't think of a cabinet paint job without it.
Robert