"Medallion" cabinetry

Just last week I picked up some kitchen cabinet brochures from Menard's (Wisconsin-based "home improvement" store chain), including one for "Medallion" brand cabinetry.

Noticing that the copyright date on the brochure was 2004, I went to the Medallion Web site thinking that the printed brochure might be out of date and that there might now be additional options -- only to find that the style and "quality-related" names (three different series with different standard features and warranties of different lengths) are completely different and that the kitchen planner has a copyright date of 2003.

So my question is: Is "Medallion" cabinetry any good, and is what Menard's sells as good as what I might buy elsewhere? -- the "Find a Dealer" facility on the Medallion Web site lists a bunch of dealers around here but not one of the many Menard's stores in this area.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I just put in Medallion and I'm very happy with it. Got it from an independent dealer. There may be differences in the Menards line. I hate shopping at Menard's, its a store of last resort for me.

mrsgator88

Did you buy them and install them yourself, or does everyone but Menard's only do complete installations?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

We're doing a lot of other work on the house and part of our contract was to have new cabinets installed. My contract specified that we would buy the cabinets ourselves, so that we weren't forced to buy from the contractor.

Reply to
mrsgator88

responding to

kbes1208 wrote: I purchased Medallion cabinets at Menards, as did a good friend of mine for her kitchen, about 9 or 10 years ago. We had the same guy (someone I had worked with in the past) install ours and we both love our kitchens. Menards is not the easiest place to work with, but overall the selection, purchase and delivery were pretty painless. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Reply to
kbes1208

I've looked at a fair bot of cabinetry and most brands seem to have s similar ranges of products. The basic stuff with wood fronts and the rest is particle board to the ones that are all wood. With the price similarly scaling. I have not noticed a greate deal of variation in the fit and finish and they all seem to be made similarly with glue and brads or staples. I think it's pretty hard to screw up assembling a kitchen cabinet. These days all the parts are going to be cut on an automated machine for any brand with volume. They all seem a bit overpriced for what you get but I've always thought that about furniture and matresses as well.

Reply to
jamesgangnc