Slab of Wood for >$20,000 Anybody?

Zz Yzx

what the hell kind of number is that?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Reply to
Greg Guarino

One of those would make a nice $ 75,000+ board room table. Well within reason.

Reply to
Robatoy

or one hell of a dart board. ;-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Clearly it's a measure of currency. Probably the new, upgraded, cost of Festool's belt sander! : )

Reply to
Bill

same range as brazillian rosewood.

Claro Walnut slabs are available here:

Scott Lurndal

i hear that! but i'm not sure how to even pronounce that number.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Twenty hundred dollars and twenty five cents, plus tip.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

$200,0.25 ...

Reply to
Swingman

I'm wondering if the best thing to do with these flinches is to cut them up as veneers? I am looking at wild grain on these and no boardroom table I've ever seen has natural edges.

The problem is where do you go and get the veneer's cut? That requires a lot of skill and a huge resaw.

MJ

Reply to
MJ

called himself "buck,six-fifty" ( I have NO idea how to put that in numbers...)

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Speaking of fireplaces, can you see taking some of that slab wood and making some nice fireplace furniture? I am not sure how you would do it. It would probably have to be a rustic or primitive style, nothing fancy. But that grain and a nice finish job, everybody would be looking at the wood and not at the fire.

That would be an awkward size to work with. Not many garage shops could handle a project like that . Either budget wise or size wise.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

of skill and a huge resaw.

I'd be surprised if that wood wasn't unstable as hell. Looks like it would have stress and shrinkage cracks all over the place. While on the one hand it seems like a shame to cut up such a large slab of gorgeous wood, what could you possibly construct from it that would a value would exceeding the price of the wood? Other than creating some esoteric piece of art that would be "valuable" only to an elite few with too much money on their hands, it seems like cutting it up into veneers or smaller sections would be a better way to "stretch" the value and beauty of the wood.

Reply to
Steve Turner

called himself "buck,six-fifty" ( I have NO idea how to put that in numbers...)

----------------------------- As the old saying goes - What's old is new again. My grandfather was fond of saying "a buck two ninety eight". Art

Reply to
Artemus

I've always told folks that such and such would cost them

a buck three fifty two.

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Cut hell - I'd be afraid to touch it!

Reply to