Best exterior primer

I've been using the Bin oilbase, but the quick drying time makes me suspicious. Otherwise it seems to be a nice, heavybodied product like some of the expensive shipyard surfacing primers, and it sands well. I'd hate to find out later that it's not a good product.

Reply to
BUB 209

the Bin stuff is all good! I've primed stucco and not overcoated for more than 10 years and hardly any primer had deteriorated. Performance on wood, left unpainted, is of course much poorer, due to moisture infiltration and wood movement. Can't speak for the relative qualities of similar products, but you should NOT be worrying that BIN won't "cut it". :)

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

BIN isn't oil based. It's shellac. It's also terrific stuff.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

They've always made the shellac, but it's like Liquid Nails, 57 varieties of everything, there's an oil base too. And probably water base.

Reply to
BUB 209

Zinsser has an excellent rep. I just used their latex primer for a fence. I was very impressed. Can't imagine their oil would disappoint. BIN, BTW, is a shellac/alcohol based product. Good for sealing knots in wood.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

Zinsser products:

B-I-N® : white pigmented shellac primer/sealer BULLS EYE® 1-2-3 : water-based universal primer/sealer Cover-Stain® : oil-based universal primer/sealer

FYI

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

BIN is a product. The manufacturer is Zinsser.

There's only one BIN, and it's pigmented shellac.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

B a r r y wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And, thanks to this esteemed group of knowledgable folks, I checked the two different cans of Zinsser primer on the shelf in the shop. Neither one was BIN. And, after looking at their webpage, I determined that BIN was the correct product to use.

$19.95/gal at the BORG. I'm priming this evening, when I can open the windows, and let the breezes blow.

Reading this group may not always be a great use of time, but often enough, it is. Thanks again, for answering someone else's question, in a way that benefits many others.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Shellac as a primer is great. Shellac adheres really well to almost anything, and most finishes just love to stick to shellac.

In fact shellac is often used to get incompatible finishes to stick to one another - like putting latex acrylic water-base over poly varnish. Apply shellac as an intermediary, a binder layer - it sticks to the varnish, and the latex sticks to the shellac. Works really well

jim mcnamara Domingo Rose

Reply to
jim mcnamara

WRONG! "BIN" comes in several "flavors". one is shellac.

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I git you.

Reply to
BUB 209

BIN is "*GOOD* SH*T"!

It's designed to go on, pretty much over _anything_.

The quick drying is just result of the carrier/vehicle/solvent it uses. A mixture of _alcohol_and_ether_. Note: this stuff is =dangerous= in enclosed spaces w/o *VERY* ADEQUATE ventilation.

The same manufacturer makes several related products, under the 'KILZ' label.

"KILZ Exterior", an oil-based primer for exterior (obviously:) use, is another good product.

"KILZ 2" is the water-based line.

Reading the can on any of the KILZ products will get you a table of which variety is good for what applications.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in news:3ff49$40eb53b2$44a75e7a$ snipped-for-privacy@msgid.meganewsservers.com:

I believe, after looking briefly at the websites, that these are two competing companies, with different ownership.

Both are good product lines, however.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

B-I-N does not contain any ethers. None are listed on the can or in the MSDS. It does contain denatured ethanol (from adding methanol and isopropanol). There may be a trace of methyl isobutyl ketone but it is only listed in the TSCA section of the MSDS which makes me think there is about

1% of it. Perhaps you were thinking of KILZ. One should still use B-I-N in a well ventilated area but there is no need to be paranoid. Check out the MSDS and you'll see that B-I-N is much safer than you might think. I'd be much more worried about lacquer fumes.
Reply to
Baron

I had to go out to a store to check, not having any on hand. It does appear that the formulation has changed. Circa 20 years ago, ether was _definitely_ present. It has an _unmistakable_ odor. :)

Definitely not. I discovered KILZ many years after experiencing B-I-N.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Just don't paint your floor into a closet, sit down and light a cigarette like one poor dweeb I heard about.

Reply to
BUB 209