Awl, Knife or Pencil

Page 2 of 2
On 13 Oct 2003 12:38:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote:

Pentel 0.7mm Mech. Pencil.
snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote in message

Just to add to the chorus here: Pencil for rough work, knife for dovetails and such.
Knives used:
Veritas double-bevel marking knife. I use this one for dovetails and tenon shoulders.
Crown set of left and right-bevel marking knives. I use these for cutting cardboard and linoleum.
Hock shiv with homemade cocobolo handle. I use this one for killing and field-dressing small animals.
Chuck Vance
Bob wrote:

ALL THREE ... But I usually mark with an exacto knife ...
Bob Griffiths

Yes
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

'Shop Pencil' or black felt 'Sharpie' for templates & 'Template making' fine point RED pencil for bandsaw work 0.5mm pencil for 'tic marks' & fine outlines SHARP knife for plywood {for clean SHARP edge}
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop
Bob wrote:

Sharpie & .5 mech. pencil. I really prefer a .7 but they won't go thru the holes in the incra rulers.
Donald
--
I'm building a Steel Robert's 434. You can sneak a peek if you wish by
clicking on me link below.
Donald Phillips wrote:

5 mm pencil. Sharpened to a chisel point on a scrap of 400 grit wet-dry paper. The end of the Incra rule is more accurate than the holes.
If it's 2x4s, 2x6s etc. a pencil is close enough.
If I'm doing tight length cuts a single bevel knife. Same for dovetail layout.
Mortise and tenon - tite-mark.
charlie b
I awlways use a knife, albeit of the utility razor sort.
snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote in message

Pencil, pen, nail, or anything else that will leave a mark for rough work.
Pocket knife or utility knife is accurate enough for me when doing precision work.
-Chris
    Greetings and Salutations.
On 13 Oct 2003 12:38:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote:

dropped it quickly as it was hard to get a good line done accurately.     MOST of the time i use a flat carpenter's pencil, with the lead cut to a fine, chisel shape, so I get a nice, sharp line.     When I am doing "real precision" work, I will often use a marking knife, although I have had pretty good luck with some of the finer point ink pens.     Regards     Dave Mundt
Pencil. Only use a knife when it is needed to sever fibers for a clean cut.

Sometimes an awl is best...sometimes a knife is best and sometimes a pencil is best.... :-)
Layne
On 13 Oct 2003 12:38:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote:

On 13 Oct 2003 12:38:23 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@operamail.com (Bob) wrote:

I think this is along the same lines if I may ask; does anyone use a story board or story stick. When out house was being remodeled the contractor kept all measurements on pieces of wood and then transferred them to the wood to be cut. I don't find much about this in any of the magazines or books I have. Thanks for your time and efforts.
Don
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 09:39:02 -0800, Don Foster

I use an awl to mark a dimple to drill. I use a knife to mark for dovetails. I use pencil for most other markings. Story sticks are great when you need to repeat a measurement many times. I use them for many projects and when using the lathe.
Don Foster wrote:

I dunno; I find when renovating an outhouse, the least of my worries is accurate measurements; its a dump anyway.
PK
Don Foster wrote:

to go. Make sure you measure very carefully and then test one (or if necessary two pieces) before you make the 20 copies you need or you will mass produce scrap wood. For projects you might repeat at some later you can mark all of the key dimensions on one storyboard. Then time take the time to carefully document what the board is for and what each dimension is for right on the board. A measure none, cut once project is real fun.
Ken
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 09:39:02 -0800, Don Foster

Jere Cary's book , "Building Your Own Kitchen Cabinets" <(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
Excellent technique if you're ever doing fitted work. I don't much like story boards - too mcuh scope for confusion. Multiple sticks are more trustworthy.
(Bob) wrote:

Mostly a pencil, sometimes my Knight marking knife.

I've made a few things that I figured may be worth repeating later. I made templates (1/8" Masonite) of the curved parts, marked locations for tenons on angles parts, etc. Makes for a huge savings in time and assures accuracy. Worth the effort.
Fine Woodworking has had articles on use of a story stick. Their online index is invaluable! Dave