Attn: SketchUp users

Page 3 of 6
Swingman wrote:

IMHO, I doubt any of us want to invest further in this nonsense.
Swingman wrote:

Larry, Your first 3 Tall Mocha's (tm) on me. I think someone may be suffering PTSD over an old Festool thread. I'll buy him and Mike a beer if they would like--don't think they need more caffeine. Everyone have a great weekend! : )
On 4/27/2012 9:57 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Been there done that, you have to spend money to make money. It is a concept that is hard to go with and I still have difficulty in feeling comfortable when my money manager sells 1/3 of my funds that have been performing very well for the last 3 years and buy funds that are not performing well at the moment. It goes with the "buy low and sell high" way of thinking which tends to go against what your gut tells you.

Um, what's a "money manager"?
-- If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return? -- Margot Fonteyn
On 4/27/2012 5:21 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/moneymanager.asp

What, you don't grok "facetious", Leon? ;)
-- If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return? -- Margot Fonteyn
>Swingman wrote:

>>>To tell you the truth IMHO Sketchup is well worth the pro asking >>>price if that is the only way to get it.

Swing, I think my comment was a reasonable reply to the assertion Leon made. Your remark left out the context of my comment. No biggie, only, if you're going to be condescending, at least be fair about it.
On 4/27/2012 6:48 PM, Bill wrote:

Bullshit ... I quoted your words only, and replied to _exactly_ what you said, nothing more, nothing less.
I did leave Leon's remark out, on purpose as it was not remotely necessary to "context" because you reiterated the "context" yourself, repeatedly, without it.
I apologized to Leon ONLY because his name was inadvertently included and his words were not ... the only reason.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Geeze, from listening to you, one might think I had malicious intent. It's not so. I strive to write clearly.

Any malicious intent or the impugning of the clarity of your writing is entirely in your imagination.
What I did remark upon was both an erroneous assumption that software was somehow to blame for your template accuracy problems; and an opinion that you were belaboring the obvious with a less than profound statement about how spending "....depends on your circumstances".
All fair game for possible remark as soon as you hit the send button ... just take care that the shit stirrers don't continue to get you too excited about that possibility.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Actually, this is not as erroneous as you make it out to be. Since you have purchased the "Pro" version you have many more options. DAGS for "printing to scale in sketchup" and you'll see many people having problems. A good decription of the problem is located at http://www.srww.com/blog/?p 7.
SketchUp is not smart enough to print only a specific, or selected, object. Not minimizing the white space around the object you wish to print results in something as simple as a 4"x4" square spanning across multiple pages.
You _can_ correctly print to scale but it's a PITA and far more difficult than it should be.
Just my 2 cents from a SketchUp Free user...
Larry
On 4/28/2012 9:28 AM, Larry wrote:

Actually, you're wrong ... the OP's clearly stated assumption is absolutely and irrefutably "erroneous", in ALL respects ... see below.

Yep, I used the free version for a number of years before going to the Pro version, and am well aware of the limitations on scale printing, NONE of which have anything to do with the OP's actual statement(s), see below.

Well, had you read the OP's problem correctly, which was clearly one of the need for printing a 1:1 drawing that is larger than the printer paper can accomodate:
On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote: > I recently used it to make a 1-1 scale, 2-D template. > However, after printing, the accuracy is only as good as your > ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have margins. > I believe there is room for improvement on this feature.
... you would clearly see, his assumption is that "the accuracy is only as good as your ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have margins", is NOT a "feature" of this particular software that can be "improved upon", but is indeed a problem with ANY software when attempting to print a 1:1 scale drawing that is larger than the maximum size paper the printer can handle.
This is not an arguable point ...
Once again, his assumption that this is a problem with the software under discussion, and his statement that "there is room for improvement on this feature", is indeed totally "erroneous" ... a point which I CLEARLY stated.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/28/12 11:10 AM, Swingman wrote:

I agree with you Swing, about the only thing they could do is possibly give the option of printing a light grid or something over the image to assist with the glue-up and registration. (and maybe a few brads while the glue dries.)
--
Froz...

On 4/28/2012 10:40 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

I will indeed qualify my contention to a point. There may well be a program out there that will do it on a home printer without the need for a device/workaround/kludge, and I would like to see it and give it a try.
I've personally had to use some type of device/workaround/kludge when printing multi-page scale drawing to a home printer in _every_ software program I've ever used, both CAD (AutoCAD was one I used, and printed from, early on), including Sketchup Pro, which is not immune to the problem itself.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
FrozenNorth wrote:

The "light grid" is a nice idea, even if you have to add it yourself! That's what is "missing", is something to help assemble the parts.
On 4/28/2012 12:18 PM, Bill wrote:

Have you tried printing to grid paper and see how that works?
Never had to do it myself, so can't speak to its workability.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Adding one's own "grid" to the drawing seems sufficient and workable. I'll try it next time.

On 4/28/2012 12:40 PM, Bill wrote:

And add the grid to a hidden "layer", and that layer to a print "scene", so you won't have to deal with it when using the model for 3D use.
I still like FN's idea of printing a grid from the same printer, then using that to print to ... be nice to know if that works, might give it try to see.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Cool. Add that layer to the SU software, and it will be a "valuable new feature"!

The disadvantage I see with the graph paper approach is that the graph paper may have to be synchronized with the margins of your printer for it to work. The "hidden grid" layer approach doesn't encounter that issue.
On 4/28/2012 1:59 PM, Bill wrote:

Therein was the suggested theory that using both on the same printer might negate that possibility. You gotta read these things, Bill.
The "hidden grid" layer approach doesn't encounter that issue.
Hard to tell whether that is case until you try both ... the problem you are still going to face is the thickness/opacity of your template paper not allowing you enough opacity to do accurate aligning. Tick marks, and other workarounds, work great on opaque sheets in the architect's office, but not necessarily well on home printers and copy paper.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010