Attn: SketchUp users

If I have learnt anything, it is that life forms no logical patterns. It is haphazard and full of beauties which I try to catch as they fly by, for who knows whether any of them will ever return? -- Margot Fonteyn

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Swingman wrote in news:663684630357281437.255332kac-nospam.com@216.196.97.131:

Actually, this is not as erroneous as you make it out to be. Since you have purchased the "Pro" version you have many more options. DAGS for "printing to scale in sketchup" and you'll see many people having problems. A good decription of the problem is located at

is not smart enough to print only a specific, or selected, object. Not minimizing the white space around the object you wish to print results in something as simple as a

4"x4" square spanning across multiple pages.

You _can_ correctly print to scale but it's a PITA and far more difficult than it should be.

Just my 2 cents from a SketchUp Free user...

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Actually, you're wrong ... the OP's clearly stated assumption is absolutely and irrefutably "erroneous", in ALL respects ... see below.

Pro version, and am well aware of the limitations on scale printing, NONE of which have anything to do with the OP's actual statement(s), see below.

Well, had you read the OP's problem correctly, which was clearly one of the need for printing a 1:1 drawing that is larger than the printer paper can accomodate:

On 4/27/2012 7:45 AM, Bill wrote: > I recently used it to make a 1-1 scale, 2-D template. > However, after printing, the accuracy is only as good as your > ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have margins. > I believe there is room for improvement on this feature.

... you would clearly see, his assumption is that "the accuracy is only as good as your ability to glue together 2 to 4 pages which have margins", is NOT a "feature" of this particular software that can be "improved upon", but is indeed a problem with ANY software when attempting to print a 1:1 scale drawing that is larger than the maximum size paper the printer can handle.

This is not an arguable point ...

Once again, his assumption that this is a problem with the software under discussion, and his statement that "there is room for improvement on this feature", is indeed totally "erroneous" ... a point which I CLEARLY stated.

Reply to
Swingman

I agree with you Swing, about the only thing they could do is possibly give the option of printing a light grid or something over the image to assist with the glue-up and registration. (and maybe a few brads while the glue dries.)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Swingman wrote in news:rNCdnXBdaqDulQHSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You're absolutely wrong but you already have you're mind made up and I'm not going to change it. I can do in AutoCad in a couple of minutes what would take hours to get done in the free version of SketchUp. Printing is much more flexible in a real CAD program vs. SketchUp.

The original discussion centered around "glueing" pieces together to have a full scale print. With _precise_ control of printing this is easy. Add some crosshairs to the drawing to use for lining things up, print to scale overlapping enough to use the crosshairs, cut the margins off, glue together and you have a full scale 1:1 drawing.

When printing a simple 4"x4" square in SketchUp, on my printer it comes out on paper as 4" x 3 15/16" with no way to compensate. Ergo, I can't print 1:1. Irrefutable. I can't select an object to print without it being the only thing in the visible screen. I don't need to print the screen, I need to print the object. Just a couple of things with plenty of room for improvment.

That said, I'm not complaining, it's a valuable tool as is and we're lucky to have a free version. When trying to visualize projects it's the first thing I use.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Not true ... as soon as you provide solid evidence that the statement:

On 4/27/2012 8:11 AM, Swingman wrote: > You simply can't blame the accuracy of multi page templates printed > on a personal printer on ANY software.

... is wrong, I'll swiftly retract any portion that is proven wrong. :)

I can do in AutoCad in a

SketchUP is not technically a CAD program, and does not pretend to be. It is instead "3D modeling software" ... there is a big difference in the architectural concept under the hood, and elsewhere.

Still, a workaround (adding artifacts that are not germane to the drawing), just like there are workarounds in SketchUP printing, as you've noted, and with which I agree.

Once again, the "accuracy" problem the OP complained about is inherent in assembling a drawing with any 1:1 scale drawing that spans multiple pages, and is one that is irrespective of the software, and unless you have a printer that does not use margins and will print to the edges, as his clearly does (use margins), there is nothing you can do to fix it as a feature, except use a workaround ... a concept that I have no argument with.

No argument there ...

Reply to
Swingman

I will indeed qualify my contention to a point. There may well be a program out there that will do it on a home printer without the need for a device/workaround/kludge, and I would like to see it and give it a try.

I've personally had to use some type of device/workaround/kludge when printing multi-page scale drawing to a home printer in _every_ software program I've ever used, both CAD (AutoCAD was one I used, and printed from, early on), including Sketchup Pro, which is not immune to the problem itself.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:idWdnZV3H9UUjgHSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You're going to tell me simply adding a selectable print window wouldn't make things easier? Neither of us care about the whitespace of the drawing, only what we've added.

Convince me that being able to compensate for printer scaling won't help.

Which is the reason I'm not complaining. The only bitch I've got is they removed the ability to export to a *.dwg from the free version.

The simple fact is that MANY people have problems printing to scale regardless of whether or not the drawing spans pages and a simple Google search will confirm that. You'll never make software stupid proof but there is definitely room for improvement in the printing functionality of SketchUp.

I'm done...

Larry

Reply to
Larry

IOW, by leaving my statement completely out of your reply, you can't disprove it, but you can ignore it and change the subject?

Nice try ... :)

Was never a point of contention, and I clearly stated that repeatedly.

And without making a shred of evidence proving what you flatly stated was "erroneous", of course you are ...

Reply to
Swingman

No, I had no problems with the accuracy of the units (inches). The problem is that a 1:1 drawing wants to print accross 4 pages with the sketch in the middle. By a certain amound of "screwing around" (including, but not limited to, moving my drawing to the origin (0,0,0)), I was able to get better results.

Reply to
Bill

The "light grid" is a nice idea, even if you have to add it yourself! That's what is "missing", is something to help assemble the parts.

Reply to
Bill

Have you tried printing to grid paper and see how that works?

Never had to do it myself, so can't speak to its workability.

Reply to
Swingman

you go, try it and see what happens, print a couple sheets of graph paper, then feed them back through the printer for SketchUp.

Let us know if it helps.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Adding one's own "grid" to the drawing seems sufficient and workable. I'll try it next time.

Reply to
Bill

Yeah ... that would probably also take out any peculiarities/errors in printing of that particular printer out of the equation.

Excellent suggestion ... would like to know if it works!

Reply to
Swingman

And add the grid to a hidden "layer", and that layer to a print "scene", so you won't have to deal with it when using the model for 3D use.

I still like FN's idea of printing a grid from the same printer, then using that to print to ... be nice to know if that works, might give it try to see.

Reply to
Swingman

I'm not a SketchUp user, just started the thread because I knew a bunch of people here used it. I have done similar things before with other programs when it was going to lead to a paste up of a few sheets.

Helpful hint #1, put a pencil/pen tick at the lead edge of the sheets, so they go back through the same way, often top and bottom margins on printers can be different.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Cool. Add that layer to the SU software, and it will be a "valuable new feature"!

The disadvantage I see with the graph paper approach is that the graph paper may have to be synchronized with the margins of your printer for it to work. The "hidden grid" layer approach doesn't encounter that issue.

Reply to
Bill

Therein was the suggested theory that using both on the same printer might negate that possibility. You gotta read these things, Bill.

The "hidden grid" layer approach doesn't encounter that issue.

Hard to tell whether that is case until you try both ... the problem you are still going to face is the thickness/opacity of your template paper not allowing you enough opacity to do accurate aligning. Tick marks, and other workarounds, work great on opaque sheets in the architect's office, but not necessarily well on home printers and copy paper.

Reply to
Swingman

Another possible option, can you export from Sketch-Up to a PDF? If so, check out the printer dialog box in AcrobatX even the reader version, under Poster it defaults to a .005" overlap, increase that to an inch or so.

Reply to
FrozenNorth