Attn: SketchUp users

This is true. Think of it as an installment plan while's he mulling over the purchase.

RicodJour

My choice of $50 for a threshold above was more for illustration. My real threshold is probably slightly higher than $50 but we don't need to encourage them, do we? : ) Thank you for the info about the academic version. So far, I'm quite happy with the free version of SU.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It's more of a reclassification. Your average home woodworker using one or two "advanced features" once in a while is not the same as someone who is running a business off of it. In a rational world all licenses would be on a per use basis or sliding scale. It's just too cumbersome to do that - for now.

The .edu email address requirement is clearly absurd. How someone enrolled in a hairdressing school or studying to be a chiropodist is more deserving of a break on the price of a 3D modeling program than a garage/basement (guessing) woodworker not using it for profit, I do not know. You seem to - please explain.

RicodJour

working.http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Amoment.jpg>> > I'd have thought it would be Erdinger.

That would have been me. The Chimay's have actually come down in the US a bit. Now they're only slightly outrageous.

I'm having a Dark Truth Stout at the moment.

command bridge setup. A Captain Kirk chair replica using solid surface materials and maybe some interior lighting would be a nice complement. With built in beer dispenser. It's in the details. ;)

RicodJour

Ut-oh, R. I'm not so sure you're going to come of out this unscathed, and that's with a capital C which stands for chiropodist and for capitalism.

Reply to
Bill

That's your opinion. However, the guiding law for setting a selling price is that the seller and purchaser must agree on terms. If they don't (or can't) agree on terms, and one side misrepresents itself to take advantage a promotion that the seller never intended that the buyer be eligible for, then the buyer defrauded the seller.

It's pretty simple - most software that can be used professionally is often offered to students at a discount for two reasons:

1) Students, usually on a limited budget (more now than ever) can't afford full price 2) Students, having learned the software in question, will often pull that software into a subsequent employer, at commercial rates.

A win for both the student and the company selling the software.

And your strawman argument about hairdressors and chiropodists is completely bogus, as they're not the target market for the software in the first place and would have no interest in it (I can just see hairstyling 3d frame models :-).

scott

(and if you really want free CAD software, take a look at qcad (linux only, tho)).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It is seldom the jeans that make her ass look fat... it's usually the ass itself that make the jeans look fat.

Reply to
Robatoy

I use my software professionally. I pay for it, but never do I pay for software which hasn't been tested and tried thoroughly. Plenty of companies have no problem allowing trial software, and in many cases, fully featured. What I DO object to, is when I find myself competing for work with an asshole who has not paid for his software. In one particular case, that anger resulted into an actual visit to the the perp's office. The issue was resolved. (He had also used MY drawings and designs to prepare a quote.)

Reply to
Robatoy

I saw the cutest bumper sticker on the dock bumper of a truck yesterday. 'Twas a picture of Obama on the left and on the right:

DOES THIS ASS MAKE MY TRUCK LOOK BIG?

-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You can think of it that way but I doubt the software company would think of it that way. He would certainly have to pay the full price in addition to what he had already spent.

Basically an installment plan is not mentioned as an offer. He pays full price plus the educational price should he decide to go legit.

Reply to
Leon

So far, I'm quite happy with the free version of SU.

Same. In fact, I was reluctant to upgrade from version 7 to version 8, having experienced freeware getting worse with upgrades. Happily, version 8 seems to work just the same as version 7, which is more or less perfect for the needs of 99% of those haunting this rec. I don't think I'm going to chance the current upgrade, and now that it has new owners, I'm even more skeptical of upgrading for no real reason.

Reply to
Jack

I don't

I used to think Google could make a few bucks if they charged $.50 per item to download from the SU Warehouse. And, probably hardly anyone would mind paying that. And anyone is who does would still be free to build the item his or herself! : )

Reply to
Bill

Maybe so, but I'd expect the new owners (naturally assuming this purchase is prompted by a desire for profit), would try to add some new capabilities or options to SU to fuel purchases. Those supposed changes may even be beneficial.

Reply to
Dave

Do you mean like the changes MS has made to their OS over the years in going from version to version? I understand Windows 8 is a real under-whelmer! : )

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Swingman

That depends on how you upgraded if you're a Windows user. I upgrade most every second version. Dos, Windows 3.1, NT4, XP and now Windows

  1. To me anyway, they've all been pretty decent versions. I may have just been lucky with my upgrade path, but it's worked out as far as I'm concerned.
Reply to
Dave