Weep Screed ???

I am finishing a remodel and having the stucco guy come and do the final coat and notice he did not put in a weep screed. How critical is it to have a weep screed?? What are the pros and cons?

Reply to
Michael Roback

what is a weep screed, sorry for asking, but what do stucco people say

Reply to
m Ransley

The way I understand it in terms of stucco/cement work, I think the original poster was referring to weep screed holes, which are designed to provide ventilation and drainage in addition to drain moisture out of walls.

There are probably ways to foil just about every building code provision, but it seems to me as a basic homeowner that you certainly should have these because, well, moisture is never a good thing for things that are supposed to eventually become or remain dry. And in a perfect world, I'd imagine the building inspector will eventually get around to noticing that there are no weep screeds and perhaps cause all sort of dysfunction to occur between contractor and client.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Up north not necessary , Chgo . never seem em. worked on alot of stucco. south maybe

Reply to
m Ransley

The guy posting the original question lives in southern California. But I'm curious: I'm in Chicagoland as well, so perhaps you can let me in on why I would not need weep screed holes if I had my house stucco'ed?

Or maybe you're just the guy who owned my house last and, judging from the quality of the home-improvement projects that took place here, basically treated it like it was a tree house? I dunno.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

Pros are it allows moisture to weep out from behind the stucco, keeping the sheathing dry. Cons aren't many beyond the small cost and labor. Some claim it's a path for insects, but heck, there are a lot more paths than through a proper screed.

You don't mention enough to determine if there should be one though. Stucco over block doesn't get one, neither does stucco over wire with no sheathing. Over wood sheathing you should have one, though some areas of the country don't have issues with it.

Did you ask your stucco guy?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

It's a metal form with small holes in it and a mesh back that allows water to seep out the bottom of stucco from between the stucco and the sheathing. Being dissimilar surfaces, stucco will have a dew point different from the sheathing and can have moisture condense between stucco and sheathing.

It also provides a finished edge for exposed stucco edges, and a depth guide for stucco workers who haven't mastered their craft. :)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

And it's fun to say. Kinda like "snifter valve".

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

the contractor for friends of ours in tucson forgot it too. they've had water in their walls and floors for years doing lots of damage and unsightliness. the condensation has to go somewhere.

insist that they fix the problem.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Re-did the stucco on my house in the process of doing an addition. Did some reading; spoke with our local building inspector. Both lead me to believe that weep screed is absolutely necessary as stucco is not impervious to moisture, and will allow moisture through to the house wrap. The moisture will then flow down the wrap and escape through the weep screed.

In doing research one of the sub's I was working with pointed me to the Journal of Light Construction

which indicates, "The Uniform Building Code mandates the installation of a galvanized steel weep screed at the base of the wall. The screed is nailed to the sill plate, and its upper leg is covered by the building paper. This creates a neat and clean termination for the plaster in addition to allowing the escape of moisture that has found its way behind the stucco."

BTW - If anyone is doing a major remodel I found jlconline an invaluable resource (no affiliation).

Reply to
efdavila