Weep holes

Hello,

We are having an extension built, cavity wall, block & brick. The builder seems to be doing a very good job, but I can't see any weep holes.

From what I can determine he has placed, at regular intervals, pieces of DPC which bridge the cavity from a higher course on the inside to a lower course on the outside. So maybe a cavity tray made from DPC? But this does not run the entire length, just sections at regular intervals.

But there are no weep holes.

The building inspector came today and was happy so I guess this is OK, I'm going to ask the builder about it tomorrow but it would be nice to get my facts straight first. An Internet search has left me even more confused!

Can anyone here help?

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

Weep holes are only used over something solid, like a lintel, plastic meter box or where the brickwork below the tray is to be an inside wall, IE above a porch when building a house with integrated porch

Reply to
Phil L

Thanks for the reply, so what happens to water that collects on these DPC "bridges" the builder has put in? Does it just wick to the outside?

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

I don't know what those "bridges are for". A cavity tray usually has end caps to stop water tracking off the sides, and weep holes to allow the water out. I'd be interested to know what the builder's explanation is ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

caps to stop water tracking off the sides, and weep holes to allow the wate= r out. I'd be interested to know what the builder's explanation is !

Well I asked, what I didn't notice was that they are actually above air brick sleeves, it makes sense now.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones