Myford closed

Myford, manufacturer of fine lathes, are closing. They will be holding a liquidation sale at their Wilmot Lane factory at Beeston this weekend the 16th/17th July.

Peter Parry

I didnt know they were still gong..how sad.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1 ;-(

I wonder if their output will re-appear via India or some such?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have just read elsewhere that all spares and accessories have been sold to one company. Anyone planning to go to the sale would be well advised to contact Myford direct to see if they still have what you want to save a potentially wasted journey.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Ah.

I was trying to think what I would want or could afford and I'm not sure there is anything?

I did consider a 4 way toolpost a while back (and still might) but I think those sort of things are often made by the aftermarket suppliers (to fit specific / popular lathes) in any case?

I guess Myford going is simply a refection on the current market conditions and that fewer people are into making / fixing stuff any more (be it at home or our Engineering industry). Plus I bet there are cheaper alternatives (all be they no so long lasting) available from the Far East?

Still a shame when these old institutions go though. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I was wondering if they might go the way of Lambretta and Royal Enfield and the tooling be bought up and then made abroad?

Reply to
T i m

Something is 'going on' as 4 new companies with Myford in the name have recently been registered. So maybe the early story of company restructuring has some underlying truth.

I would have bought new feedscrews and nuts for stock. Yes you are correct toolposts will be available. Some of the imported QC toolposts are pretty good but do buy enough holders at the same time for all possible future needs to ensure correct fit. Rear toolpost are also available from the usual suspects and make parting off a relative breeze.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hmmm ...

Ah, good thought.

Ok. I did look at the ME last time but they were all a bit out of my 'might be handy one day' sorta price range.

I have a parting-off tool that goes straight in the std toolpost (but I know that can have issues). Can you have the rear tp mounted along with the std one?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Tim,

You can really only use the rear parting tool and the front tool post at the same time with an extended crosslide fitted. This is the one with three clear slots behind the topslide. The rear toolpost uses the rear two of those three.

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Ah.

Yes, I have seen them at the shows and in catalogs but not really know when / where they were used (or did but have forgotten). ;-)

Gotcha.

Thanks again, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Can you not reverse the work rotation and use an upside down parting tool?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Myfords have a screw on chuck, it would tend to come unscrewed if you reversed the direction.

Reply to
pcb1962

The point of the inverted parting tool is so that you don't need to reverse. As Myfords are only overpriced toys anyway, they have screw- on chucks which aren't happy about being reversed.

The problem is space front-to-back, not rotation or inversion.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

So does my Boxford but the lathe comes with a reversing switch.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I thought the issue with *parting off* is the work load *lifting* the chuck. Working from the back or reversing moves the forces to the machine bed. IANAEngineer.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Nor am I but aren't those sort of forces equal and opposite?

I thought it was more to do with the parting tool 'digging in' if used on the front / conventional rotation?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m