Attn: SketchUp users

Page 1 of 6
Read and maybe weep, who knows how this will shake out:
http://ww2.trimble.com/news/release.aspx?id 2712a
--
Froz...

On 4/26/2012 3:26 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Probably weep, but who know$?
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/26/2012 1:32 PM, Swingman wrote:

With the number of free users, what does Trimble hope to gain by buying a product that zillions of folks already have for free ?
I have seen this sort of thing before and it never seems to make any sense.ex: IBM bought Lotus for $$$$$(billion ?) and that has been a dead money loser.
An MBA probably told them they could make it in "support" fees.
The SketchUp crowd might see something similar.
On 4/26/2012 3:42 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

There past few years has seen a large increase of the installed base of SketchUP Pro users who could arguably benefit greatly from this acquisition, and since Trimble is right in the middle of supply the area of benefit, this is indeed a very likely scenario ... at what cost that, is the major question.
As far as the free version, if SketchUp never develops past its current capability, users of the free version are still in a win/win situation. I doubt that the free version will never benefit/be totally excluded from any future features of the Pro version.
As a Pro user (because I need the presentation ability of that version in a major way), I am indeed a bit concerned about a future price increase, but I suppose as long as it is cost effective with regard to a parallel increase in features, that it will a viable business investment in software in any event.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/26/2012 3:42 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

Well, It may not run on Win8 without an upgrade, a purchased upgrade.
On 4/26/12 7:26 PM, Leon wrote:

Not sure if you have seen a preview of Win8, this is another version to skip, what a POS.
--
Froz...

I saw a review of Win 8. It made the remark that there were some features that would help business, but they did not know what they were. All this effort to make it look like a iphone, nobody seemed to care if any real work gets done.
I think there should be two versions. One should be a work version for people who do real work. And a gamers version for those folks who use their computer to play games and look at movies..
On 4/26/12 8:33 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

It is totally different, all touch based, doesn't seem to translate to a mouse well, if I want finger prints all over my screen I would have a tablet.
--
Froz...

On 4/26/2012 8:06 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

That's the whole idea of Metro ... you will be assimilated into the tablet computer world.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 4/26/2012 9:06 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

On 4/26/2012 8:06 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

From what I understand you can choose for Win 8 to look and operate like Win 7 if the new look does not suite you. So I guess basically when Win 8 comes out and all new computers come with it you can still choose to not have that strange format.

I'm not sure that will work Leon. Recent releases all offer to run like a classic version, but they're actually running as the most recent version in the background.
On 4/26/2012 7:05 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

Just seeing the home screen was enough for mt to not even consider upgrading.

Doubt I'll even consider looking at Windows 8. The past decade or so, I've upgraded most every second release and it's worked out very well.
On 4/27/2012 6:55 AM, Dave wrote:

Yeah I can't complain, I went from 98se to XP to 7. IMHO XP was the first Windows program that worked reasonably well. Although 3.1 was not terrible.
If nothing else boot ans shut down with 7 is extremely fast for me, by comparison. Although my primary boot drivce is solid state.

I went from 3.1 to NT, to XP and now Windows 7. Don't have one complaint yet about Win 7.

I've been considering an SD drive. Is the boot up really that much faster? How much time to you figure it saves?
On 4/27/2012 7:21 AM, Dave wrote:

Boot up is about 15~20 seconds including the 15 plus "MY" programs that load at start up. I use Quicken and password protect it, As soon as I let go of the left click button on "OK" the register is there.
With than I mind I am also running at 3.3 Gightz Have 8 Gig DDR3 RAM and 1 Gig video and a 1 Tb HD for a majority of my data which is about 10% full.
IMHO the biggest draw back to a solid stated drive is its size, mine is 128 Gb and plenty big but if it were 500 Gig I could store all of my data on there with room to spare. I absolutely would not consider a smaller solid stated drive.
On 4/27/2012 7:17 AM, Leon wrote:

Add another "1" to that and I'll agree with you. Win3.11, "Windows for Workgroups", was when I finally switched from DOS to Windows ... but it took me until Win95 to stop using CLI, and then I still dropped out for admin and network stuff.

The most solid Window OS I ever ran were WinNT, 4 and up; and, strangely enough, Vista. I never had the problems with Vista that all the unwashed masses, fanbois and commentards did, and still have two laptops running it here at the house with far, far fewer problems than Win7 ... which still couldn't even make the change to DST without a three day hassle.
MSFT, under the dickhead Ballmer, sucks and has lost whatever innovation it had ...
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

When I bought my CNC, I needed to take a PC based laptop to attend a couple of seminars and to take official possession of the associated software. The one I bought came with Vista. The CNC itself runs on XP Pro and the PC based workstation, all tricked out with dual monitors and screaming video card, runs on Win7. I see no reason to change any of it. XP is hard core as it is stripped of everything, never goes online (It couldn't anymore). The Vista laptop does go on-line and I have never had a crash, bug or any problem for 3 years. I quite like it. The WIN7 on my workstation does things well enough to say that there are no 'real' reasons to chose a mac over that. The only reason I still have macs (6 in all) is that I have a shitload of software tied up which won't run on a PC. Adobe did make me a deal on CS5 for the PC that I now have licenses for both. Win7 has been absolutely flawless, although that box eats power supplies like it's candy....which reminds me that I never replaced a single hardware part in a 28 year history with macs and there have been a lot of different macs come through here. I still have my 128K mac from 1984. Still boots and then sits there in its wonderful uselessness saying 'hello'.
On 4/27/2012 9:53 AM, Robatoy wrote:

That was, and still is, in itself and at the time, pretty much as astounding as anything I've ever seen for home use.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010