Applewood Use/Value?

Page 1 of 2
Hiya, I've got a friend who's got 5 apple trees in his front yard. He was recently approached by someone willing to cut them down and haul them off free of charge providing he could keep the wood. This got me thinking a little. What is Applewood used for and what sort of cost/value goes along with it. I may just have to take one of those trees! Cheers, cc
Its great for turning.

A kinds of stuff are made from apple and the like trees .....most often called fruitwood....mjh
-- http://members.tripod.com/mikehide2

The body of my ECE reform smoother plane is made from "fruitwood", most likely apple.
todd
Todd Fatheree wrote:

If you google "apple wood properties" you'll find a variety of uses. I seem to recall that it was also used to make the gears in wooden clocks.

--
--John
If you like to cook/smoke meat, apple wood is used by some folks for flavor. Even on a regular BBQ, it gives a nice taste. Mark L.
James Cubby Culbertson wrote:

I commented in another thread about receiving a friends Bradford Pear. I've also cut up a little apple on the bandsaw. The tree was pretty small so what I could get out of it was small. My wife used the apple on the scroll saw for animals, Yaks, I believe. The lighter sapwood made an intersting head and shoulder with the darker wood for the posterior. Bradford Pear is hard and durable, grain not real distinctive. Nice to work. Folks you like are easily pleased with a gift made from "their" tree. I thinks it's usually worth accepting the offer of ornamental trees for this reason. Bigger trees, haul to a sawmill. Smaller ones are easily worked up on a 14" bandsaw with riser blocks.
bob g.
Mark L. wrote:

I commented in another thread about receiving a friends Bradford Pear. I've also cut up a little apple on the bandsaw. The tree was pretty small so what I could get out of it was small. My wife used the apple on the scroll saw for animals, Yaks, I believe. The lighter sapwood made an interesting head and shoulder with the darker wood for the posterior. Bradford Pear is hard and durable, grain not real distinctive. Nice to work. Folks you like are easily pleased with a gift made from "their" tree. I thinks it's usually worth accepting the offer of ornamental trees for this reason. Bigger trees, haul to a sawmill. Smaller ones are easily worked up on a 14" bandsaw with riser blocks.
bob g.
Mark L. wrote:

On 14 Aug 2004 08:32:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@attglobal.net (James Cubby Culbertson) wrote:

I made several wooden spoons from apple wood. Very strong, dense, and beautiful.
James Cubby Culbertson wrote:

friend has any winning lotto tickets, I'd be willing to take care of them for him, assuming I can keep the money, of course. Is there something wrong with the trees or has your buddy been trying to get rid of them for some reason? Otherwise you need to take a long hard look at this helpful person. Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
On 14 Aug 2004 08:32:53 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@attglobal.net (James Cubby Culbertson) wrote:

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome .

It's great for smoking bacon and pastrami from corned beef, also used as tool handles other than the striking type like chisels. Alex
From what I've heard apple plywood is extremely stable and is used, at least in California, for drawers. snipped-for-privacy@attglobal.net (James Cubby Culbertson) wrote in message

My recollection that the stuff marketted under the name "Apply Ply" doesn't really contain apple wood. I could be wrong.
bob g.
sr_wood wrote:

My understanding is it was marketed as "American as apple pie" to compete with the European plys. Nothing to do with wood species. I have no idea how sandeply is marketed... San De is cantonese for orange. Thousandeply does't really work, referring to the .001 thickness of the veneer. Sand through the first ply and buy a replacement. Backwards, it's Early Death to North American Sawyers. The assimilation is nearly complete, marketing is no longer needed. Sandy is the daughter of the former HD CEO.
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:17:34 -0500, Robert Galloway

birch face, alder core....

sr_wood wrote:

If you're talking about the Appleply brand, that is made from birch and alder. <http://www.statesind.com/prod/ind_2a2.html

--
--John
I had an ucnle once who replaced the back of a fiddle w/ apple wood. I don't know how apple or other fruit woods (specifically poms) rank in quality among "tone woods", but he was the kind of guy that did things for a good reason.

Many years ago my father told me that apple was the preferred wood for shafts and other parts in old water wheel powered grain mills.